Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 03:36 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,708,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Maybe my memory is fogged, but I seem to remember we watched the lunar landing at 1-2PM? What I remember is that we got a half-day off the summer school course I was taking. Of course, it would have been rebroadcast many times, including late at night...
The moonwalk occurred several hours after the landing, and people are not necessarily distinguishing between the two in this thread. There may also be time zone issues at play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 04:33 PM

9,688 posts, read 10,006,521 times
Seen them on the moon from a colored TV ..............My grand father confessed that they will Never go to the moon , and then later denied that they even went there

Old 06-25-2014, 06:21 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,197,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
I watched it at my grandmother's apartment with her and my mother. I was 11, and thought that it was interesting that my grandmother had been born before the invention of powered flight, and there she was watching men walk on the moon.

But the real interesting question is, "What was Marilu Henner doing when man first walked on the moon?"

hmmmm ill take a guess...

she was driving a taxi??

the question may be riddle,,, because andy kaufmans movie was called man on the moon (rem song just popped in my head)

andy k was on the show taxi with marilu henner

maybe this is a question that she answered on the show ???????????????????????/

Old 06-25-2014, 07:37 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,603,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Maybe my memory is fogged, but I seem to remember we watched the lunar landing at 1-2PM? What I remember is that we got a half-day off the summer school course I was taking. Of course, it would have been rebroadcast many times, including late at night...
That was my thought too, I remember it being mid-afternoon when we watched the landing. I was at work in a local department store and many of us left our posts to go to the furniture department and watch it on one of their console TVs.

I've never been thrilled with the idea of space travel, the very thought terrifies me. I'm a Taurus and like to keep my feet on the ground! Watching the movie Gravity solidified my belief.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:42 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,603,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
hmmmm ill take a guess...

she was driving a taxi??

the question may be riddle,,, because andy kaufmans movie was called man on the moon (rem song just popped in my head)

andy k was on the show taxi with marilu henner

maybe this is a question that she answered on the show ???????????????????????/
I think the poster was referring to Marilu Henner's extraordinary ability (called hyperthymesia) that allows her to remember what she was doing on any given date in the past. Not only that, she can say what she was wearing, what was on TV that day, etc. Amazing!

Old 06-25-2014, 07:52 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post

And that was my Dad to. For all the dads and granddads who helped us go to space, this song. Check out the other songs on this album too, some wonderful stuff. It only came out on audio tape, so thank the gods for you tube.
Thanks for posting that, nightbird.

We were the lucky ones. Growing up in a special place in a special time. And with very special people.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:01 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,318,260 times
I was at Cape Kennedy watching the lift off of Apollo 11 live. I will never forget the sound of the rocket and the speed of the Saturn 5 departing. 3 days later I was in a hotel room on Miami Beach watching on the color TV Neil Armstrong walking on the moon.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:08 PM

6,962 posts, read 4,807,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I was home with my family and all set to watch it when an hour and fifteen minutes before the scheduled first step, my mother suddenly went into labor with what would prove to be my little sister. There was no time to hunt down a babysitter, so I was whisked off to the hospital with them. I remember being pissed that I would have to miss the moon landing for such an unimportant, to me, reason.

I was stuck in a waiting room with no tv, although I could hear a radio broadcast of it coming from the nurse's station. My sister timed her entrance perfectly, emerging from the womb about three minutes before Armstrong emerged from the Landing Vehicle.

The news all collided at once and my memory of it is a bit blurry. When I was allowed to see my sister, my mother asked what I thought we should name her and I jokingly said that it should be "Luna." Even though they had already picked out a name, my parents thought this a delightful idea, and so it was Luna.

Now, none of the above is true. I was actually 19 years old and watched it on tv at home like most people. But ukrkoz asked what the point of this thread might be, and I figure that it is hoping someone has a real story like the one I invented above.
You have an accurate forum handle, G!

I was 14 I guess, (but I feel like I was much younger than that!) spending my summer week at my cousins' house in Somers, CT. Don't remember much about it other than my younger cousin Jerry getting all teared up and thinking what an idiot he was for that. Yeah, guess I must've been 14 after all.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:39 PM

553 posts, read 595,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Ever ask him about Mr. Gorsky?
Wasn't that his neighbor when he was a boy? The ball went into Mr. Gorsky's back yard and Neil Armstrong climbed the fence to get it. He heard Mr. and Mrs. Gorsky arguing about sex and she told him, "You know when you're going to get sex? When that kid next door walks on the Moon, that's when!"

Old 06-25-2014, 10:19 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,318,619 times
People were never on the moon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History