Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 06:00 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,629,469 times

Advertisements

These are more recent, but I remember when before K-mart it was Kresge. They had a lunch counter, and had these simple ham sandwiches you could get for $1.00; just a slice of ham, lettuce, on a roll.

I also remember record stores, we had one called Peaches; all the record albums were in peach crates. These was in the 1970's; cool music would be playing, and there it was fun looking at the artwork and designs on those album jackets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 06:31 PM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
Little dots of hard candy on paper -- can't remember if they came on a roll or in pre-measured strips. You either picked them off with your fingers or bit them off with your teeth:

And usually, some paper came with it.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:32 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I miss the "5 & 10" stores. When I think back, those little stores had everything a person in the 50's desired and needed. If I could go back in time for one day, you'd find me there. Here, in KS, I often say to my husband as I look at the dying towns, IF we could go back in time for just one day and see the hustle and bustle of times past.................
Senior year in HS (81-82) I worked in the local 5&10. The floors were wood -- I can hear the creaks they made under the determined steps my employer made from his back office to the front register. The store had counters and shelves chock-a-block full of anything a person might need: a pot, a hammer, skeins of yarn, lubricants for sewing machines, can openers and potato mashers, candy, cleaning supplies, toys, towels, makeup, shoe polish, clothesline, cards (greeting and playing.) I could go on and on. I loved when the novelty man delivered the Mexican jumping beans which would sit clicking away in their little cases beside the register.

A customer stepping through doors knew that they would find whatever it is they were looking for no matter how ancient or obsolete it was. There were many regular customers who we greeted by by name -- always Mr. or Mrs., never by first name.

It was a special place and one I realized was quickly becoming a thing of the past. This was a great job and my old boss taught me so much about how to offer wonderful customer service as well as trusting me -- a 17 year-old kid -- with responsibilities my adult coworkers had. I was so lucky to have had this job.

Last edited by OhBeeHave; 07-05-2014 at 06:44 PM..

Old 07-05-2014, 07:35 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,695,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
It really was an event, wasn't it. I remember my Mom would buy us new socks to wear when we were going to the shoe store to get new shoes! Kinney Shoes, Thom Mcan, back-to-school shoes (couldn't wear until school started), "easter" shoes, shiny Go-Go boots, PF Flyers!

Thanks for the memory. Things sure have changed/
Don't forget Buster Brown Shoes.

Candy stores which were not just for selling candy. This is where you bought your newspapers and magazines. They also had a lunch counter where you would get an ice-cream soda or egg cream. They also sold bubble gum with baseball cards. Throw away the gum and keep the cards for trading.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:39 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,417,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
It really was an event, wasn't it. I remember my Mom would buy us new socks to wear when we were going to the shoe store to get new shoes! Kinney Shoes, Thom Mcan, back-to-school shoes (couldn't wear until school started), "easter" shoes, shiny Go-Go boots, PF Flyers!

Thanks for the memory. Things sure have changed/
I grew up in NJ and when I was a ripe old pre-teen I used to love Chandler's shoes.

And go-go boots. I just couldn't wait until I was allowed to have those. Remember when fake leather dresses and skirts were the rage?

I used to love going to the 5and10 for nail polish. I think we all wore Cutex. The color called "jarol" was my favorite. It was kinda like a more burgundy version of that "vamp" color that was such a big deal a while ago (they acted like it was something new!) Now of course that color is all over the place. Wonder where it was hiding all those years

Old 07-05-2014, 08:40 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,937,370 times
Does anyone remember when 5 & 10 cent stores like Woolworth's sold parakeets? I wanted one so badly!

Old 07-05-2014, 09:18 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,417,057 times
Now that you mention it, I think the Woolworth's in Passaic had them.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:01 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,738,593 times
NO really , a real parakeet hahaha.. oh wonderful... we didnt have them in ours...

Old 07-06-2014, 06:42 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Does anyone remember when 5 & 10 cent stores like Woolworth's sold parakeets? I wanted one so badly!
I know MCrory had a big pet department at one time, parakeets included, along with what we'd call exotic animals. One of the stores had a sort of miniature possum that I wanted soooo badly!

Old 07-06-2014, 08:43 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,064,367 times
I remember the old Chinese laundries. Usually owned by an immigrant couple who lived behind the stores in a small apartment. People usually just brought their sheets and shirts to be laundered. You got them back wrapped in brown paper tied with string.

Every neighborhood had one. They are long gone now. My local coin operated laundermat, which is owned by a young chinese immigrant has picked up the slack. They do shirts and sheets and other misc. laundering for you for a very reasonable rate. As someone that can wash sheets but not fold them Im grateful for his services. You dont get them tied in brown paper...plastic bags have replaced that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History