Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 06:13 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,205,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
I read that at one time America and Britain were seriously considering that option...to invade Ireland.

There was an American cemetery on the outskirts of Belfast for a while but eventually the soldiers buried there were re-interred in America.
The Americans are always involved with Northern Ireland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 06:16 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,205,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, there's been a long history of Irish-American politicians who have given support to the IRA, which has not endeared them to the UK government. Rep. Peter King of NY is one of the better known ones, and known to make bellicose statements about countering terrorism. He got called out on his support for the IRA on a visit to London by the Prime Minister's office a few years ago.
I have relatives in Pennsylvania and they support Celtic and go on and on about a United Ireland. They think our family is Irish and play all this Irish music.

So annoying. I try and give them/Americans the benefit of the doubt but it gets irritating after a while, I don't think Americans realise how offensive they are being. I said I was from the UK in a mall recently and the boy in there starting ranting at me saying I was from Ireland. Americans have and always will take the Irish side, hence issues such as the Boston tapes.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:50 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,164,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
The Americans are always involved with Northern Ireland.

When Enoch Powell mentioned America's involvement in Ulster's affairs I thought he was talking rubbish. I was naïve enough to think that countries don't involve themselves in other countries business. How wrong I was.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
I have relatives in Pennsylvania and they support Celtic and go on and on about a United Ireland. They think our family is Irish and play all this Irish music.

So annoying. I try and give them/Americans the benefit of the doubt but it gets irritating after a while, I don't think Americans realise how offensive they are being. I said I was from the UK in a mall recently and the boy in there starting ranting at me saying I was from Ireland. Americans have and always will take the Irish side, hence issues such as the Boston tapes.

Agree, but I don't think you can entirely blame the American people. The Irish are brilliant at 'selling themselves' or should I say an image of themselves. I don't recall a movie where the Irish are portrayed in a bad way. Songs like 'Irish eyes are smiling' 'A great day for the Irish' etc etc etc all help to portray a certain image that is hard to disagree with.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:36 AM

"As Supreme Allied War commander, Eisenhower, along with Bernard Montgomery, led us to ultimate victory over the Nazis in World War Two.
"After the war he served two terms as president of the United States. He was one of the towering figures of the 20th century and here I was holding in my hand a hand-written message of thanks written to the people of Belfast for all the help afforded to him. This is obviously in reference to the fact that Northern Ireland played a big role in the build-up to Operation Overlord and the Normandy landings."
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/politics/latest/president-eisenhower-in-the-frame-at-city-hall-1-5237607
[SIZE=3][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Old 09-14-2014, 11:11 AM

Old 09-15-2014, 09:25 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,616,150 times
Quote:
When Enoch Powell mentioned America's involvement in Ulster's affairs I thought
he was talking rubbish. I was naïve enough to think that countries don't involve
themselves in other countries business. How wrong I was.
Nothing like the Irish diaspora to effect that involvement. When they saw the violence during the Troubles on the tv screens, it said alot to them. Some were not going to sit by and just watch it. Of course, because they no doubt saw the hand of the UK in all of it especially those who display 'Poblacht Na H Eireann' in their homes.

And even as the conflict went on then there was division among them as the violence increased and talks were a figments of the imagination. American involvement surely was not a 'unified' face to the tumult there. It would be a misnomer to note that all were simply under the Provo banner under the circumstances.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:26 PM

The 'civil rights' campaign in the 1960s actually wanted the UK to involve themselves in NI affairs. So it was at their behest that the UK had a hand in things. Of course many people knew that it wasn't just about 'civil rights' that there was another agenda and that agenda wasn't long till it made its appearance.

Might not have been all under the Provo banner, but there were plenty who were. Without them they would not have been able to operate as they did. This manifested itself with the election of Sinn Fein the Provos political wing to governance in NI.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:04 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,616,150 times
^
Re: Sinn Fein in America

I'd say they definitely had their issues as well in regards on how the violence was looked upon
during those times. Some were hard-liners but others refused to be identified with Provo IRA tactics. They did not countenance violence when it came to Republicanism. And they
knew that it was important to get Dublin and London talking. And to that various Irish-Americans who had influence in the political sphere moved to put American pressure towards exploring paths on that score. Their constituents clamored for it.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
^
Re: Sinn Fein in America

I'd say they definitely had their issues as well in regards on how the violence was looked upon
during those times. Some were hard-liners but others refused to be identified with Provo IRA tactics. They did not countenance violence when it came to Republicanism. And they
knew that it was important to get Dublin and London talking. And to that various Irish-Americans who had influence in the political sphere moved to put American pressure towards exploring paths on that score. Their constituents clamored for it.
I'm not au fait with American attitudes re Ulster and the 'troubles'. But there is no doubt that the pira got much support from America both in armaments and financial aid. Some people say they would have not been able to carry on as they did without this help.

George Harrison an American, and PIRA gunrunner said unionists would have to be driven into the sea. Its nothing new, back in the 1800s Americans were supporting the Fenians. Maybe I should have said Irish-Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History