Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 01:29 PM

23 posts, read 42,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnotatrolldamnyou View Post
Acadians (Cajuns)? Irish people?
Really? Acadians know they're French and have French surnames, Irish people know they're....Irish, they have Irish surnames, they know their ancestors are from...Ireland.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:45 PM

24 posts, read 39,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGMO View Post
Really? Acadians know they're French and have French surnames, Irish people know they're....Irish, they have Irish surnames, they know their ancestors are from...Ireland.
Are you aware of population dynamics? Since you are seem so educated on your African history, I'm sure you could spend your time outside helping other black people discover their African roots. You turn a blind eye to all discussion about your "question," and you simply repost the same thing over and over. You have a really thick skull. Do you even know how to form an idea from reading something? Other than simply stating evidence from yourself (which is NOT a reputable source), you haven't contributed to this thread either. You pretty much had a racist idea (racism is not only white-on-black, it works every which way hon) and when other people began to include historical anecdotes concerning your "question"- you just turned it back into a discussion about how black people are "stripped" of their heritage. How are you NOT making this thread racist? I am mexican and polish, but thats about as far as it goes. I don't know where in mexico or poland my ancestors are from, how or why my great-grandparents came to the USA, nor anything about mexican or polish society, hell all I know about my last name is that it was butchered when my ancestors came here (therefore eliminating all chances of me discovering my true heritage) but I do know that I am American and that we ALL have the same history.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:56 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
It still doesn't change the fact that Black Americans were brought over as slaves against their will. The OP is just stating History. If you can't even acknowledge that Whites played a huge role in Blacks Americans losing there ancestral identity than I don't know what else to say to you.
Many people throughout history were captured, transported elsewhere and enslaved. Blacks aren't the first to have this happen to them.

How about acknowledging the fact that many who wound up as slaves were betrayed by their own tribesmen? It's not like the Dutch or British went about setting up snares hoping to catch a slave. Some Africans turned on their own people. Sorry if you can't even acknowledge that blacks played a role in their own people losing their ancestral identity. I don't know what else to say to you.

Quote:
Here is one for starters.

Behind the Name: Jewish Surnames
Did you read the list? The site offering these surnames also indicates language of origin: Dutch, German, Italian, English, French, Yiddish. Jewish is neither a language, nor is it an ethnicity. Do you see the difference? I'm not Jewish, but have both a maiden name and a married name which you or some other ill-informed individual would call 'Jewish'. In short, a surname could be used by a family which is Jewish, but it is also likely a non Jewish family of one of those descents could have the last name, too. Capisce?

Quote:
Ok? It still doesn't change the fact that Black Americans don't know where they come from, whether it's their ethnicity, tribe, or colony's name.
Pay the money, get a DNA test, and get matched to other Africans who have the same genome. It will give you a darn good idea as to what tribe/region grouping your ancestors came from.

Quote:
Yes, because people in Africa have no idea who they are.
And since you state that the people in Africa know who they are, once you have your DNA matched up with others in Africa, seeing as they have an idea as to who they are, ask to see their records. Perhaps they can point out a birth certificate from 1600, or a baptismal certificate from 1700. Or --did they not have those back then, and relied primarily on oral history? This in and of itself -- even if slavery had not occurred -- would be a HUGE obstacle when trying to trace one's ancestry.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
You didn't even read what he wrote... How would've you met someone from 3rd Century BC China? He wasn't referring to modern Chinese people...

People from South America or Central America descended from natives there don't have traditional surnames either--they have Spanish surnames given to them after the conquest, nor do most speak their original languages except in certain areas.
Someone refuses to see past the end of their nose. Logic, history, evidence, aren't relevant when his whole point is that white people are bad and it's all our fault.

Nevermind this:

African Americans - History, Modern era, The first africans in america

Quote:
Throughout the mid–1400s, West Africans commonly sold their slaves to Arab traders in the Mediterranean. The fledgling system of slave trade increased significantly when the Portuguese and Spanish—who had established sugar-producing colonies in Latin America and the West Indies, respectively—settled in the area in the sixteenth century...
African people selling other African people, stripping them of their identity. Imagine that?

Old 07-10-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGMO View Post
Here's a little tidbit -- the Island which we know of as Ireland today was invaded by Romans, Vikings, and the Normans. There was a sizable group of French Huguenots who settled the as well. There are still many Huguenot surnames in Dublin. There are no 'pure' Irish, and tracing Irish ancestry means one might turn up Spaniards, English, French peoples and names, or DNA test and find other European or African ancestry.

Today you're as likely to encounter a Pole or someone from a Muslim country who is an Irish citizen. Does that make them any less Irish?

My Irish father had a Germanic surname, and it would appear might have French lineage. Like you don't know what tribe or region your ancestors come from, all I know is that after a 300 year layover in Ireland, my ancestors came from somewhere other than Ireland.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:12 PM

23 posts, read 42,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvvarkansas View Post
why do people get hung up on having an "ethnic identity"? I know very little about where my ancestors came from...and i don't care.

I am who i am, no matter who they were.

It seems to me that in today's america "ethnic identities" are most often used as a crutch to claim and exploit some type of victimization. (note i said most often....not always)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbeehave View Post
many people throughout history were captured, transported elsewhere and enslaved. Blacks aren't the first to have this happen to them.

How about acknowledging the fact that many who wound up as slaves were betrayed by their own tribesmen? It's not like the dutch or british went about setting up snares hoping to catch a slave. Some africans turned on their own people. Sorry if you can't even acknowledge that blacks played a role in their own people losing their ancestral identity. I don't know what else to say to you.

Did you read the list? The site offering these surnames also indicates language of origin: Dutch, german, italian, english, french, yiddish. Jewish is neither a language, nor is it an ethnicity. Do you see the difference? I'm not jewish, but have both a maiden name and a married name which you or some other ill-informed individual would call 'jewish'. In short, a surname could be used by a family which is jewish, but it is also likely a non jewish family of one of those descents could have the last name, too. Capisce?

Pay the money, get a dna test, and get matched to other africans who have the same genome. It will give you a darn good idea as to what tribe/region grouping your ancestors came from.

And since you state that the people in africa know who they are, once you have your dna matched up with others in africa, seeing as they have an idea as to who they are, ask to see their records. Perhaps they can point out a birth certificate from 1600, or a baptismal certificate from 1700. Or --did they not have those back then, and relied primarily on oral history? This in and of itself -- even if slavery had not occurred -- would be a huge obstacle when trying to trace one's ancestry.

Quote:
someone refuses to see past the end of their nose. Logic, history, evidence, aren't relevant when his whole point is that white people are bad and it's all our fault.

Nevermind this:

african americans - history, modern era, the first africans in america

african people selling other african people, stripping them of their identity. Imagine that?

Quote:
here's a little tidbit -- the island which we know of as ireland today was invaded by romans, vikings, and the normans. There was a sizable group of french huguenots who settled the as well. There are still many huguenot surnames in dublin. There are no 'pure' irish, and tracing irish ancestry means one might turn up spaniards, english, french peoples and names, or dna test and find other european or african ancestry.

Today you're as likely to encounter a pole or someone from a muslim country who is an irish citizen. Does that make them any less irish?

My irish father had a germanic surname, and it would appear might have french lineage. Like you don't know what tribe or region your ancestors come from, all i know is that after a 300 year layover in ireland, my ancestors came from somewhere other than ireland.
ok

Old 07-10-2014, 06:34 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,792,661 times
The OP posed a good question and all you can do is answer yes or no. If you have a valid group and response present so and move on. We have been taught to marginalize and minimize the people of that cultural background.

It's so disturbing to witness such ignorance, especially from fellow Americans.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:43 PM

12,963 posts, read 13,676,205 times
If you have ever visited or heard about the Schomberg Center for the study of African American History, part of the New York Public Library, you might be aware that its collection began as a donation from a Hispanic man of African ancestry. Arturo Schomberg who was born in 1874 in Puerto Rico ,was told as a young boy black people had no history and that Slavery destroyed their identity. His life's work in Scholarly research on the subject proved them wrong.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:51 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,066 times
NoGMO,

Its pretty clear that you have a rather substantial personal agenda here. So let's consider the year 1491. There were better than five million original people living in what is now North America. Among them there were more than 200 "nations," and nearly as many languages. ( Talk about cultural diversity!!) They lived and farmed and hunted all over this land.

Fast-forward 410 years, to the year 1901. There are now only about 500,000 original people living in North America. The other ninety percent have been killed, or they have died of illness, starvation, ill-treatment, and despair. Large numbers of the survivors are crowded onto small patches of largely-useless land called "reservations." Most of their children have been forcibly taken from them and placed in "Indian Schools" where their hair has been cut and they are forced to dress in "civilized" clothing. They are forbidden to speak their native languages or engage in any practices of their culture, and are severely punished if caught doing so. Christianity is the only allowed religion. Other original children are forcibly "adopted" into white homes to suffer the same fate or worse.

Our cultures and traditions have practically been wiped out. Most of us who have survived to this date cannot even speak our original languages. We know practically nothing about our original cultures, practices and spiritual beliefs. Just to survive, we are scattered among the white population with little chance of recovering what we have lost. By the way, if you live in the United States, you're living on land that was taken from my ancestors.

The ancestors of modern-day African Americans certainly lost a lot; we were stripped of danged near everything.

Regards, and good luck in your search,

-- Nighteyes

Last edited by Nighteyes; 07-10-2014 at 07:08 PM..

Old 07-10-2014, 07:30 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,260,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
NoGMO,

Its pretty clear that you have a rather substantial personal agenda here. So let's consider the year 1491. There were better than five million original people living in what is now North America. Among them there were more than 200 "nations," and nearly as many languages. ( Talk about cultural diversity!!) They lived and farmed and hunted all over this land.

Fast-forward 410 years, to the year 1901. There are now only about 500,000 original people living in North America. The other ninety percent have been killed, or they have died of illness, starvation, ill-treatment, and despair. Large numbers of the survivors are crowded onto small patches of largely-useless land called "reservations." Most of their children have been forcibly taken from them and placed in "Indian Schools" where their hair has been cut, they are forced to dress in "civilized" clothing. They are forbidden to speak their native languages or engage in any practices of their culture, and are severely punished if caught doing so. Christianity is the only allowed religion. Other original children are forcibly "adopted" into white homes.

Our cultures and traditions have practically been wiped out. Most of us who have survived to this date cannot even speak our original languages. We know practically nothing about our original cultures, practices and spiritual beliefs. Just to survive, we are scattered among the white population with little chance of recovering what we have lost. By the way, if you live in the United States, you're living on land that was taken from my ancestors.

The ancestors of modern-day African Americans certainly lost a lot; we were stripped of danged near everything.

-- Nighteyes
Let's not forget the indigenous peoples of the United States that produced offspring with African Americans. Geneticists have shown that approximately 5% of the African American population possesses at least one American Indian great-grandparent. So, it's probably worse to lose one's land, language, and culture and produce descendants that think of themselves as being only "Black" folks.
Black Indians in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History