Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2014, 10:51 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Slavery is alive and well. it's called Human Trafficking and smuggling- it 95% effective because of supply and demand. who is demanding? been happening for years and because people have their own thinking minds, they keep them in check with brutality..Where do we find these people after they have been ripped away from home and family or are victims of switch n bait? Promised a brighter future then locked up after they arrive to into servitude.
Let's not look at the victims, who is buying??
Indeed! Who are the buyers? This is something I haven't seen answered. The buyers now, are who they've always been. Arab slave traders. Mohommedan tribes , then and now, of blacks keep the Arabs well supplied. Europeans may have made a few raids of opportunity along the African coast, but the Arab slave markets provided most of the human property.

Today, there is a huge market in Arab circles, for buying fair skinned , fair haired and with green but preferably blue eyes. The whole slavery issue is a convoluted mess. Slavery has been around a LONG time and does not just involve one color scheme. As it stands, and as it has stood for some considerable time, the Arabs are the big wheels in the slave trade.

Lmao, anyone who thinks the Saudis and the other monarchies don't own slaves is really behind the curve.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:15 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
The thing that really gets me is how when this topic is brought up, blacks usually refer to slavery and say that all this aggression towards white folks is a result of that time. They tend to forget one thing though and I never ever see it brought up by them. Why is it that they put all the blame for slavery on the white american/european slave owners yet none on thier fellow African tribesmen who were responsible for the gathering and selling of these very same slaves during the transatlantic slave trade? They conveniently forget to mention that when condemning slavery. Why?
Actually I do blame the parties you've mentioned in this post. What Blacks do you know that do not?

Old 07-13-2014, 12:15 PM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Am I wrong, however? It might surprise some white people to learn just how little hatred, animosity or even attention is aimed their way by black people. Left to themselves the majority of black people would never engender a racist thought about white people.
Try being poor and white in a black dominated city, maybe you might see some of that animosity towards whites. It does cut both ways.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:32 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,120,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
The blackest black and the whitest white only differ by a maximum of 0.12% of their genetic code... that is approximately 1 out of 800 DNA elements. We're not THAT different

the hardship of the black community today has nothing to do with slavery or the civil rights of fifty years ago. its all about education or the lack of it, meaning higher education and trade school education.

The hardship is mainly the lifestyle and moral of the black community. the hardship they have brought on to themselves. They are going have to relies there are going have to change their lifestyle and thinking in order to be successful. color and race has zero to do with it.

Bingo. And every time a black leader tries to come out and say it, he is derided as an Uncle Tom or a house N------ by his own people.

There is no social program, no reparation payment, acknowledgement or apology for past wrongs that is going to force people to stay in school, pay attention whiles there, speak correctly, wait for marriage to have children, stay our of gangs, stay off of drugs, value achievement, value work, show empathy to others, admire learning for its own sake, stay out of jail, etc.

It has been 150 since the end of slavery, and 50 since the civil rights movement. I did not grow up in the era of Jim Crow, I grew up in the era of affirmative action. Nor is continuing racism really that big of a factor, as it is counter balanced by government mandates and the exuberant goodwill of some white peoples, companies, and institutions. Racism sure has not hurt our black president, or black secretaries of state, our black Senators, or black supreme court justices, our black celebrities and black billionaires,

Other peoples have suffered racism in America and have made it/are making it. Asians come to this country with nothing but the shirts on their backs, speaking little English and facing racism, and they are more successful than whites. Wave after wave of immigrant group has come here facing racism and picked themselves up. Now, the Hispanics, god bless them, are fining the American dream.

To be blunt, it doesn't take a people 50 years to pick themselves up. The Jews have been through at least three attempts at genocide that I know of, and they are amongst the most successful people in world, if not the most successful. It took Japan, a Feudal state, 20 years to turn itself into an industrial giant capable of defeating Russia and challenging the United States. After we dropped two atomic bombs on them, it took a similar time frame to rise to become the number two economy in the world. Germany suffered the horrible fates of losing the first world war, unpayable reparations, hyper inflation, a loss of another world war in which allied bombing did more damage than in Japan, the Russians invaded wreaking hell and the allies divided the country in two. Today, Germany is the leader of one of the most powerful confederations of nations in history.

All of this is tough love. I believe that we are all basically the same at the core and want American blacks to be successful, and I am glad that many are availing themselves of their opportunities. But until they are honest about the cause of their problems, they as a group are going to stay in last place.

It will probably take a black Moses, maybe Obama after he leaves off can come out and speak truth to his own. All of the decent, hardworking black folk in America can help by ceasing with this endless defense of poor behavior of certain members of their communities.

As for slavery, there were forms of slavery in West Africa far, far crueler than anything done in America, even including mass human sacrifice during ceremonies such as the festival of the Yams or the Dahomy annual rights. There was chattel slavery in West Africa, and because it involved captured prisoners of wars, and wars were usually against tradition ethnic opponents, it can even be said that African chattel slavery had a racial, or at least ethic component. Anyone who has ever read Ibn Battuta (as I have) will remember a particular disgusting incident in which the king of Mali gave a young slave girl to a group of cannibals to be killed and cannibalized. So anyone who wants to continuously blame the white people needs to take a good hard look at history, and if they are aware of these facts, then possibly in the mirror to evaluate their own racism.

Peace.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:10 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
As an 18 year old black man, I will never feel that way. I know the actual history as opposed to the "history" that I was taught in my predominately black middle school. Once someone reaches college, or gets to the point that they are able to research (especially with the vast breadth of knowledge available on the Internet), there is really no excuse to continue to hold misconceptions about a topic. As a college student and someone who knows how to conduct research, I have eradicated a lot of previous misconceptions that I possessed involving a multitude of topics.

In this day in age, I feel that no one is to blame but themselves. I wasn't blaming my professor when I received a C in General Chemistry II; instead, I recognized that, from now on, I shouldn't drink on St. Patty's Day weekend knowing that I have a test the following Monday. Yes, my ancestors may have been oppressed and forced into slavery. What does that have to do with my success in life? Absolutely nothing! In the end, I am in control of my own destiny.

Finally, I do not feel like the white man owes me anything. Taking reparations would be a slap to the face of my mother who started out as a single 18 year old teen mom and worked to bring my family up to the middle class. It would also be a slap to the aspirations that I have for my life, which is to become a physician (I would be the first physician in my family). Nothing in life comes for free, so I refuse to take a reparations payment if anyone offered me one.
*Applause*

Old 07-13-2014, 02:20 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

So you're standing at the coffee pot at work...do black people actually accost you and accuse you of slavery?
That is a silly question. We all know a person making racial accusations at work would be fired. So your answer is, "of course not."

Old 07-13-2014, 02:27 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
Should we omit the fact our brethren committed more thievery and heinous unethical acts than those of color.....wait, this is done already.
This is not a "fact." Just because you were brought up in a culture or household where you were taught about how evil whites are, does not make it true or a fact. Pay attention to world history and current world events and you see people of all colors and races involved with horrific things at all times...but first you have to take your Evil White Man Blinders off; until that happens, you will never truly see.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:33 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
That is a silly question. We all know a person making racial accusations at work would be fired. So your answer is, "of course not."
So are you talking about media pundits who are just talking smack for ratings?

Old 07-13-2014, 02:39 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
So is that why white politicians and leaders are pushing to omit certain aspects of slavery from textbooks? I'm sure they're liberal lmao
i would love to see a link about this. not sure why "liberals" would want to whitewash, pardon the expression. that sounds more like fundies to me, or republicans. if anything liberals would want to get MORE explicit- "SEE WHAT WE DID!" doesn't make much sense. i await your links

Old 07-13-2014, 03:42 PM

877 posts, read 1,316,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
i would love to see a link about this. not sure why "liberals" would want to whitewash, pardon the expression. that sounds more like fundies to me, or republicans. if anything liberals would want to get MORE explicit- "SEE WHAT WE DID!" doesn't make much sense. i await your links
People on this board really do not get sarcasm, do they? But it takes a quick google search to see that certain states (Tennessee for ex) want to omit certain parts of slavery. Even my school district eliminated certain parts. You only learn about the slave trade in 12th grade when you take US history. There was no talk of a trade, rape, death etc. it was inappropriate. I even remember a friend trying to bring up a US president who apparently had half breed babies and she told him to shut up before he could get to it

It's not until college that you learn about Christopher Columbus.

We wouldn't want to make whites feel bad by merely telling history, would we?

As I said, perhaps it'd be better to completely eliminate it from textbooks. If a college student wants to do his or her own research they'll do it on their own. That way no one feels blamed or blames anyone

Although I'm sure searching for that is too much effort

Last edited by coffeendonuts; 07-13-2014 at 03:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History