Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 03:00 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,519,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Thanks, I have looked into that book and found it to be very interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 07:31 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
For a humorous more recent parallel...the Simpsons were often the target of groups for corrupting youth. Weird huh?

Old 07-20-2014, 03:16 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,251,057 times
It also trapped an art from in a box. Like any art form comic books had a sepctrum. There was everything from the lurid to the serious themed story. But keeping ten year olds from reading anything but ten year old material by making it hard to sell or find publication for more adult themes, or more experimental ones, it killed a lot of creativity. It was when that code ceased to matter that the art form blossomed. Alan Moore's dark and disturbing tales about authority and its costs like V for Vendetta would never have found a publisher yet this book with pictures is up there among the finer arts.

It should be noted that this is the same time where movies were tightly controlled. There's a wonderfully stunning little movie about a little girl who turns out to be a murderer. She killed her mother. She ends up eliminating all but the one she likes. The Bad Child almost didn't get made. It was origionally a play on the stage. But when the movie was made, they had to have her accidently die in the last scene since no one was allowed to go unpunished. But the story as written, she got away with all of it. This was the mentality of the time, that everything must have a moral, and good one. Life isn't like that. Art was held in a cage and when the door was opened, a lot of crap happened, but then many pieces of art, in books, songs, comics and movies which are true art and never would have 'passed'.

Stifling creativity is never a good idea but if your goal is to control and regiment it works pretty well.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:30 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,988,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I remember when I was a kid, reading my Superman comics, a little sign in the top right corner of the comic cover. It said, "approved by the comic's code authority." I often wondered what it meant.

All that meant was you would never see a poorly clad female,gross violence and blood and gore , bad language or anything remotely sexual in a Man of Steel comic book. Now if you wanted to see that stuff you had to learn were to find it and have an older friend to go buy it or ask if they had anything else under the counter.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:44 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,588,101 times
you know, I used to collect comic books. I still have thousands.
Picking up some old comics from the days of yore can be an historical
learning experience. There's often much of interest packed away in the pages.
The storylines, advertisements and letters are tiny time capsules into the
spirit of the age. The advertisements are particularly revealing.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:46 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,365,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I really wish people would stop throwing around the term tea partiers without really knowing what the term stands for.

Their fundamental beef is taxation and govt. spending.....not social issues. In fact, they have a strong libertarian streak which is pro-pot, pro-gay etc.

Perhaps you are confusing them with tipper gore?

Parents Music Resource Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The irony that you are trying to tag the tea partiers over this when you are clearly enough to have lived through the various crusades against music etc. is thick and rich.
Thread drift, but since you mentioned it... the tea partiers have failed to find mainstream traction even within the Republican Party largely because of their social conservatism and pushing to make a host of things illegal--abortion, gay rights... their opposition to immigration reform, their rabid support for right-wing media and Christian special interests, birthers, so on and so forth. As for many tea partiers being libertarian: It's no secret that libertarians mostly skew conservative on social issues. All of this has been given heavy media attention, they are very vocal in conservative media, and it's been discussed in a lot of moderate and left-wing media too.

I do remember the Tipper Gore parental advisory label freakout in the 1980s. Tea Partiers draw their core support from the same far-right social conservative base.

Oh, look! The Tea Party moves to ban books:
The Tea Party moves to ban books | Amanda Marcotte | World news | theguardian.com

Old 07-20-2014, 04:58 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,312,007 times
Default Oddly enough...

our local pbs channel had broadcast a rerun (originally from October 2013) yesterday which I watched and found quite fascinating. I have no idea if and when it will broadcast again, but I would like to see it again myself. It went into to great detail as to the reasoning for the creation of comic books (after the war and the subsequent cold war with Russia), purportedly the majority of the creators/authors were the newly arrived children of Jewish immigrants to America. Also, I'd like to find out if the 'American' fascination with comic books ever reached the shores of other countries, in particular westernized countries.

Narrated and hosted by Liev Schreiber (X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Showtime’s Ray Donovan), SUPERHEROES: A NEVER-ENDING BATTLE is the first documentary to examine the dawn of the comic book genre and its powerful legacy, as well as the evolution of the characters who leapt from the pages over the last 75 years and their ongoing worldwide cultural impact. It chronicles how these “disposable diversions” were subject to intense government scrutiny for their influence on American children and how they were created, in large part, by the children of immigrants whose fierce loyalty to a new homeland laid the foundation for a multi-billion-dollar industry that is now an influential part of our national identity.

PBS ANNOUNCES SUPERHEROES NIGHT ON OCTOBER 15 : PBS

Old 07-20-2014, 05:59 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,255,328 times
But one side-benefit from it was the "underground" comics movement of the late '60's with Robert Crumb and S. Clay Wilson in "Zap! Comix".

Old 07-20-2014, 06:01 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
I loved comic books back in the 50s and had stacks of them. I don't remember ever hearing anything negative about them or having anyone tell me not to read them. I loved reading and it didn't matter whether I read a read book, a magazine, or a comic book, I just loved to read.

I had tons of Disney comic books, Superman, Little Lulu, Archie--one time I discovered a big box of coming books from the early 40s in my older cousin's basement. She had Wonder Woman and Plastic Man, and a few others I had never heard of. No, there was nothing negative in my part of the world, nothing against reading comic books. (I know I learned the word "omelet" from a Mickey Mouse comic book when a mountain of eggs flooded a town and from that time after, the town was known as Omelet, LOL)

Old 07-21-2014, 06:33 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,255,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I loved comic books back in the 50s and had stacks of them. I don't remember ever hearing anything negative about them or having anyone tell me not to read them. I loved reading and it didn't matter whether I read a read book, a magazine, or a comic book, I just loved to read.

I had tons of Disney comic books, Superman, Little Lulu, Archie--one time I discovered a big box of coming books from the early 40s in my older cousin's basement. She had Wonder Woman and Plastic Man, and a few others I had never heard of. No, there was nothing negative in my part of the world, nothing against reading comic books. (I know I learned the word "omelet" from a Mickey Mouse comic book when a mountain of eggs flooded a town and from that time after, the town was known as Omelet, LOL)

It wasn't those kind of comics that people were flipping out over. It was the EC comics like "Tales from the Crypt" and their other horror/crime comics that got people bent out of shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History