Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 09:39 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,428,183 times

Advertisements

Has anyone watched this? What were your thoughts in this?

Here in the States this is titled "Generation War", a look at WWII from the eyes of 5 friends in Nazi Germany whose lives take different paths. It's been called the "German Band of Brothers", although this shares little in common with that series. It apparently had very high ratings in Germany in 2012 when it aired, and I can see why. The uniforms, the set, the acting, all superb. One can, of course, quibble with certain aspects of this series, and one obvious quibble is this was a world war, and peoples paths would likely rarely cross.

But excluding that, this was an excellent series, and only became available in the U.S. this past May. If you are a WWII buff as I am, this is definitely something you want to add to your collection.

Amazon.com: Generation War: Volker Bruch, Tom Schilling, Katharina Schüttler, Miriam Stein, Ludwig Trepte, Philipp Kadelbach: Movies & TV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 05:43 AM

3,859 posts, read 3,031,744 times
For those people who have never learned German, the title of the thread is
"Our Mother, Our Father".

Old 08-03-2014, 09:40 AM

4,499 posts, read 6,313,416 times
Certainly one of the better movies German television produced during the last couple of years. There was some criticism, though, on how they displayed the Polish Home Army.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sFQJLy0_cg

Old 08-03-2014, 12:51 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,428,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Certainly one of the better movies German television produced during the last couple of years. There was some criticism, though, on how they displayed the Polish Home Army.
Yes, I have read of Polish anger towards the mini-series, but Polish and Ukrainian anti-Semitism was well known, so I'm not entirely sure of the root cause of this anger. Would appreciate any insight into this.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:42 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,770,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
For those people who have never learned German, the title of the thread is
"Our Mother, Our Father".
It must be "Our mothers, our Fathers". The "u" in "mutter" and "a" in "Vater" must be umlauted. "Unser" is German for "our". But if it were "Our Father", the first person, plural possessive for a male noun in the nominative case would be "unsere". "Unsere" also is used for first person plural possessive, female and plural. i.e., the German for "our mother, our father" would be "Unsere Mutter, Unser Vater." For "our mothers, our fathers", it's "Unsere Mutter, Unsere Vater." (with the umlauts)

Old 08-04-2014, 07:29 AM

14,984 posts, read 23,781,627 times
Looks to be currently available on instant view on Netflix as "Generation War". Thanks I plan to check it.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Yes, I have read of Polish anger towards the mini-series, but Polish and Ukrainian anti-Semitism was well known, so I'm not entirely sure of the root cause of this anger. Would appreciate any insight into this.
It boils down to the fact that a German television network dared to address antisemitism within the Polish resistance movements. "Revisionism", "revanchism", "falsification of history", yada, yada, yada...

Old 08-05-2014, 12:43 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,878,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
It boils down to the fact that a German television network dared to address antisemitism within the Polish resistance movements. "Revisionism", "revanchism", "falsification of history", yada, yada, yada...
Well, I appreciated the series yet it seems that the whole Armja Krajowa was very antisemitic when, actually, it was the only resistance movement in Europe to organise a special branch to rescue Jews and other enemies of Germany.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:59 AM
Yac

6,049 posts, read 7,698,565 times
As a Pole i can contribute here: the outrage wasn't over the fact that some poles were antisemitic, we all know there were quite a few of them. The problem was that the biggest and worst antisemites in the movie weren't the Germans - it was the Poles from AK or iirc, an Ukrainian soldier that was stopped from murdering Jews by a "good" German officer.
Everything was very selectively shown, for a series that was supposed to show the truth, many inconvenient moments of the war were skipped completely. It was subtle, but still full of propaganda. The biggest lies were the lies of omission. Technically it was good, though I was hoping for more large scale battle scenes..
Also at one point, one of the main characters found a destroyed t-34 tank that looked very much like Rudy, a tank from a certain Polish tv series about the war I laughed but there were outraged folks out there .. which shouldn't be shocking as there are people out there outraged with anything you can think of.
Yac.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
As a Pole i can contribute here: the outrage wasn't over the fact that some poles were antisemitic, we all know there were quite a few of them. The problem was that the biggest and worst antisemites in the movie weren't the Germans - it was the Poles from AK or iirc, an Ukrainian soldier that was stopped from murdering Jews by a "good" German officer.
Everything was very selectively shown, for a series that was supposed to show the truth, many inconvenient moments of the war were skipped completely. It was subtle, but still full of propaganda. The biggest lies were the lies of omission. Technically it was good, though I was hoping for more large scale battle scenes..
Also at one point, one of the main characters found a destroyed t-34 tank that looked very much like Rudy, a tank from a certain Polish tv series about the war I laughed but there were outraged folks out there .. which shouldn't be shocking as there are people out there outraged with anything you can think of.
Yac.
Nah, I don't think the filmmakers intention was to show "the truth". After all it's not a documentary and the events shown are only veeery loosely based on real events.

All it does is to tell the (totally made up) story of five friends that experienced WWII in one way or the other.

But yeah, I assume it's irritating for people suffering under the Nazis that they showed Germans that are not completely evil in character. Especially after all the WWII movies we are used to.

And by any means, there were only a handful of Germans in that film that were nice and showed mercy. Friedhelm was completely crazy, Greta was a bitch, the family that took over Viktor's apartment pretty much fulfilled every German stereotype, that Bewährungsbataillon Feldwebel was a looney, ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History