Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2014, 02:50 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times

Advertisements

Yeah but white folks have been eating Black Crow for a few decades now and looks like a growing number are fed up. I notice this among young folks in particularly now that jobs are scarce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 03:13 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I notice lotsa people just do not get this little factoid. No one reads real books about what occurred prior to their existence?
I think that most people are self-centered and only interested in learning about their own history, either because it is wonderful and makes them feel proud or... it was terrible and they want pity and special accommodations for it.

The past can't be done over, but the future is an open book. Wallowing in self-pity accomplishes nothing productive, and the longer it goes on, other races and cultures in the world are not impressed their attitude. Especially other nationalities waiting patiently for their turn to immigrate to the US. All of those people consider a chance at life in the US as one of great opportunity and don't understand why African Americans aren't doing better. I've met many immigrants who feel this way, both black and non-black ones.

Also as it is now, the vast majority of whites in American don't feel connected in any way by ancestry to slave owners or slave traders.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:32 PM

2,417 posts, read 1,448,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
No. OUR HISTORY covers all of mankind's history, not just the years since the first European explorers landed on the North American continent. And what about the glorious history of the Ancient Egyptians on the tip of North Africa? And those Africans used slave labour to build their magnificent temples and pyramids.

And by studying ALL mankind's history, blacks can see that their race was not solely picked upon. And it wasn't because of the colour of their skin, but rather because back then, their African civilization was primitive and not on par with the Europeans. Those tribal Africans could have been white, but since their civilization level was at a Stone Age level, they got taken advantage of, just like the natives in the Americas and in Australia.

And the lesson that should really be learned is to learn and absorb the knowledge of the dominant culture as quickly as possible. And that is what happened in India, the British colonized the country and eventually, the native Indians studied hard and became engineers, and then they didn't need the Brits anymore. I had a British friend who grew up in India. His family had to return to England when his dad fell ill. My friend missed India and while in England, studied to be an engineer in hopes that he could return to India and work there. However, he told me that sadly, by the time he got his degrees, India no longer needed British engineers because they had their own.

African Americans need to encourage their children to study hard and become doctors and engineers. It's the only way for them to succeed in the world. And with seven billion people on this people, the competition for success has gotten very intense. No one has time to pity other groups or be guilted into making reparations. The more African American stay in the attitude of feeling sorry for themselves, the farther their culture is being left behind.

And why is it with all the American aid groups going over to West Africa, I see no African Americans helping out? So far, I see only lily-white Americans in the news photos.

What I mean by saying our history only stops at slavery is we don't know about our roots prior to that. All we can do is take DNA tests to figure out where our ancestors most likely came from in Africa. In reality, we are a mix of different West African tribes. Ultimately though west african culture is not our culture, a brand new culture has arisen here in the states and the origin is slavery. With all that said, we can look at west african culture and learn from them. We can even claim them for our own, just like we often do with Egyptian culture. A lot of us claim Native American culture for ourselves, even if we have no native blood. This trend could be a good thing, since the world is getting smaller everyday. This aspect actually makes us, I believe, the most accepting people on the face of the world.

Now what you said about engineers and doctors are true. Even more important than that, we need to create our own businesses and gain wealth. None of that is happening to any significant degree within the black community. As a result, if we are to continue on this path, 1/3 of the black population in the US will become a permanent underclass. (Subjecting themselves to welfare and ultimately resorting to crime. There will be fewer and fewer success stories coming out of impoverished black cities) The rest of us will be working jobs, I would say "economic slaves", not gaining any personal wealth. All of this will happen while the flood of immigrants will go on to benefit from programs that came about because of the suffering of many black people. I imagine the hispanic/latin community will triple in size, leaving the black community in the dumps permanently.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:57 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Yeah but white folks have been eating Black Crow for a few decades now and looks like a growing number are fed up. I notice this among young folks in particularly now that jobs are scarce.
The last generation directly affected by Jim Crow (both advantaged and disadvantaged) is the Boomer generation, which as I've said before is still in control of US industry, politics, and media. Jim Crow won't be past until the Boomers are dead.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
The past can't be done over, but the future is an open book. Wallowing in self-pity accomplishes nothing productive, and the longer it goes on, other races and cultures in the world are not impressed their attitude. Especially other nationalities waiting patiently for their turn to immigrate to the US. All of those people consider a chance at life in the US as one of great opportunity and don't understand why African Americans aren't doing better. I've met many immigrants who feel this way, both black and non-black ones.
The actual affecting "emotion" isn't self pity. It's not self-pity that motivates a street gang leader or member. It's a disrespect and even hatred of one's own micro-society.

It's not that it takes property ownership to respect one's own micro-society, either. We in the south even during legal Jim Crow didn't have property ownership, but respected our own society, an attitude which did not exist in the northern migration centers even in the early 60s.

That's not something a southern leader like Martin Luther King really understood. It's possible that Malcolm X, had he lived, could have spearheaded a moment to create it.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It's not that it takes property ownership to respect one's own micro-society, either. We in the south even during legal Jim Crow didn't have property ownership, but respected our own society, an attitude which did not exist in the northern migration centers even in the early 60s.

That's not something a southern leader like Martin Luther King really understood. It's possible that Malcolm X, had he lived, could have spearheaded a moment to create it.
I hear ya, but true equality will come through wealth. The black community today is falling further and further behind everyone in this category. The asian community is small in this country, but they have full support in this country in terms of wealth and business. That's why they are at the top in pretty much all the categories, and their crime rate is close to invisible. The black community is a polar opposite. Wealth is the correlation.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
I hear ya, but true equality will come through wealth. The black community today is falling further and further behind everyone in this category. The asian community is small in this country, but they have full support in this country in terms of wealth and business. That's why they are at the top in pretty much all the categories, and their crime rate is close to invisible. The black community is a polar opposite. Wealth is the correlation.
Wealth is not the correlation, society is the correlation. Asian communities built wealth by being communities rather than ghettos. Notice the difference: A community is a self-created social entity while a ghetto is an imposed social entity.

The same thing may or may not be possible for anyone who has been raised with an essentially American "individualist" mindset. It is very difficult for a group of Americans to practice community lending as, for instance, Koreans do (and Jews have done something similar as well). Americans are not raised into same mindset of personal honor and close community.

Black Americans tend to behave like poor white Americans, but don't have the benefit of majority demographics as a safety net.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:08 PM

777 posts, read 881,656 times
"Wealth is not the correlation, society is the correlation. Asian communities built wealth by being communities rather than ghettos. Notice the difference: A community is a self-created social entity while a ghetto is an imposed social entity"

Imposed by who? The residents or outside entities?

Asian communities can build wealth because loans were
more available to them when they stepped off the boat.
Community lending can only go but so far if there is not
a lending bank somewhere in the background.

"Black Americans tend to behave like poor white Americans,
but don't have the benefit of majority demographics as a safety net."

So black people drive pick-up trucks with gun racks and Confederate
flags and like to listen to Ronnie Milsap and Keith Urban while dancing
the Ackey-Brakey?

"The same thing may or may not be possible for anyone who has been raised with an essentially American "individualist" mindset. It is very difficult for a group of Americans to practice community lending as, for instance, Koreans do (and Jews have done something similar as well). Americans are not raised into same mindset of ."

Whites don't need "personal honor and close community". They can just walk into a bank and get a loan.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
"Wealth is not the correlation, society is the correlation. Asian communities built wealth by being communities rather than ghettos. Notice the difference: A community is a self-created social entity while a ghetto is an imposed social entity"

Imposed by who? The residents or outside entities?
"self-created" would indicate something done to oneself. "Imposed" would indicate an outside entity. I'm not sure why that's hard to understand, but here is the Wikipedia definition of "ghetto" to make it more clear:

"A ghetto is a part of a city in which members of a minority group live, especially because of social, legal, or economic pressure. The term was originally used in Venice to describe the part of the city to which Jews were restricted and segregated."

Quote:
Asian communities can build wealth because loans were more available to them when they stepped off the boat. Community lending can only go but so far if there is not a lending bank somewhere in the background.
You've falling for a popular but false conspiracy theory, unless you're including lending banks created by and for members of that immigrant community...simply a more formal kye program, but with the same standards and behavior.

Quote:
"Black Americans tend to behave like poor white Americans, but don't have the benefit of majority demographics as a safety net."

So black people drive pick-up trucks with gun racks and Confederate flags and like to listen to Ronnie Milsap and Keith Urban while dancing the Ackey-Brakey?
Same buying habits. Black Americans abuse money the same way poor white Americans do.

Quote:
"The same thing may or may not be possible for anyone who has been raised with an essentially American "individualist" mindset. It is very difficult for a group of Americans to practice community lending as, for instance, Koreans do (and Jews have done something similar as well). Americans are not raised into same mindset of ."

Whites don't need "personal honor and close community". They can just walk into a bank and get a loan.
That's the demographic safety net I was talking about. Other immigrants came to America from a "home country," bringing both culture and community with them. Their culture and community formed a bulwark against the WASP demographic hegemony.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Wealth is not the correlation, society is the correlation. Asian communities built wealth by being communities rather than ghettos. Notice the difference: A community is a self-created social entity while a ghetto is an imposed social entity.

The same thing may or may not be possible for anyone who has been raised with an essentially American "individualist" mindset. It is very difficult for a group of Americans to practice community lending as, for instance, Koreans do (and Jews have done something similar as well). Americans are not raised into same mindset of personal honor and close community.

Black Americans tend to behave like poor white Americans, but don't have the benefit of majority demographics as a safety net.

Yeah you're right. I've been thinking in terms of inherited wealth, which most black people don't have. Yet it's the community who builds the wealth. Servicing the community is what keeps the money inside, and profit starts to build up. So it's the community that builds the wealth up. Perhaps forgetting black history in this country is the wrong route, but not to dwell on how we never prospered on anything. It was all systematic and we have been socially engineered to breakdown our own communities. They were successful because today there is no black community for the most part. That has to change soon because already a third of our population is on the brink of extinction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History