Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 04:32 AM

553 posts, read 595,795 times

Advertisements

Milleniels are too young to miss the time they grew up. Give it about ten more years and you'll begin to. The world will be so different. You won't have the slightest idea what your kids will be talking about and their music will be so different. They will be responding to currents you will be oblivious to and you will mention things so obvious to you but they have no understanding of.

I don't know what Generation the children of the Millenials will be called, but I sence they will grow up in a world of Hope for the Future as the New Frontier of Space at last becomes accessable and we recover from economic ruin. Don't be surprised--no, you will be surprised--when your children see the world exactly the opposite from the way you see it. And you will feel a nostalgia for that time when you understood what was happenning.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:21 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAllenDoudna View Post
Milleniels are too young to miss the time they grew up. Give it about ten more years and you'll begin to. The world will be so different. You won't have the slightest idea what your kids will be talking about and their music will be so different. They will be responding to currents you will be oblivious to and you will mention things so obvious to you but they have no understanding of.

I don't know what Generation the children of the Millenials will be called, but I sence they will grow up in a world of Hope for the Future as the New Frontier of Space at last becomes accessable and we recover from economic ruin. Don't be surprised--no, you will be surprised--when your children see the world exactly the opposite from the way you see it. And you will feel a nostalgia for that time when you understood what was happenning.
This is how it basically works. ^

I'm a Gen Xer with Milleniels for nephews and nieces. I'm clueless on their music, fashion, terms, etc. I've held my own on knowing technology but they still have me beat...as expected.

Makes me feel like I should get a cane and scream at kids to get off my lawn all day.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:31 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,470,837 times
I think people remember the 90's fondly because the stock market was roaring back then, unemployment was low, music was much better, and there were no wars. Since then, we had 9/11 and everything declined from there. The 2000's seem like a depressing period of time compared to the 90's.

Things probably aren't as bad as they seem, and the 90's probably weren't as rosy as we remember them. This is mainly just perception.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:26 AM

994 posts, read 1,592,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
the so-called Millenial generation was born between 1980-1995.
Sorry, but this disqualifies you from having an opinion worthwhile
of consideration concerning a comparison of 1990s to 2010s.
I was born in '82 and I think it makes me just as qualified as anyone else. Even if I wasn't born in that time period what makes you think I can't hold an opinion on it? And how did the 2010s get dragged into this?

Old 08-13-2014, 07:49 AM

994 posts, read 1,592,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
I think people remember the 90's fondly because the stock market was roaring back then, unemployment was low, music was much better, and there were no wars. Since then, we had 9/11 and everything declined from there. The 2000's seem like a depressing period of time compared to the 90's.

Things probably aren't as bad as they seem, and the 90's probably weren't as rosy as we remember them. This is mainly just perception.
I would say that on some things the 2000s were worse than the 1990s, true. However, we had stuff in the 2000s that would never have come around in the 1990s.

The 1990s were not necessarily better overall though. You had wars in what was Yugoslavia, you had the Congo civil war, the constant fighting in the ME (although that's been going on for centuries), you had the IRA in Northern Ireland setting off bombs, poison attacks in Tokyo, trouble with Libya, civil uprisings in Mexico, and the list goes on. Within the USA you had Waco, the OKC bombing, the Ruby Ridge Standoff, that nutjob blowing up abortion clinics down south (can't remember his name), the Montana Freemen standoff, the Columbine shootings along with other school shootings, and that list could go on as well. The 1990s, while not as bad as some previous decades, weren't all that peaceful.

Also in the 1990s: murder rates were higher than today. They had been falling for quite some time but were still high even compared to the 2000s. Petty crime was also a bit higher as well.

LGBT rights? Practically non-existant in the 90s. How many people in Gen Y today tolerant and/or accept LGBT people? Realistically it's probably 55% for / 40% against / 5% no opinion. It's better than the older generations but the idea that Gen Y openly embraced LGBT people is a media myth. In most states LGBT relations were illegal and a few states could have given you the death penalty if you were caught (just like in the Third World). Hell even interracial marriages were technically illegal in some Old South states. There were a few pioneering people who came out in the 90s but most LGBT people were either in the closet or were very modest about themselves.

The Internet was still in its youthful years. CD certainly didn't exist along with 99% of the crap online that you see today. If you wanted to find out about something you either read the paper, watched the news or you went to the library if it was available. A lot of Millenials didn't necessarily grow up with a computer mounted on their butt like the media depicts. Until the 2000s computers were quite expensive and couldn't do much to be practical for a lot of people.

But, I won't debate with you on the TV, music and games of the 90s. They were better since the audience back then demanded something of better substance and because making any sort of movie or game back then was much more time and resource consuming than today. Today you could probably make a whole movie with the right off the shelf electronics and today's audience buys video games/music/TV shows because of the CGI and the purty label, not because it's an actually good product.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:32 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,590,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandice1000 View Post
I was born in '82 and I think it makes me just as qualified as anyone else. Even if I wasn't born in that time period what makes you think I can't hold an opinion on it? And how did the 2010s get dragged into this?
well, your op said the '90s were not to be missed compared to now, which is
the '10s decade. With your being born in 1982, that made you only eight years old
in 1990. Would you not admit that people who were in their adulthood during the 90s
have a better understanding to judge the decade ?

Old 08-13-2014, 08:33 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,139,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -thomass View Post
We all miss things about the past. I went for an oil change recently and literally everyone in the waiting room was playing on their cell phone. Human interaction is slowly dying. I think that's what most people miss.

I agree. I refuse to participate in this nonsense. I rarely do such things and in a lot of cases I refuse to answer my phone. It goes right to vm. No ring tone. Phone is on vibrate. I could be in a bar, shopping ctr, restaurant ect. When that thing goes off I ignore. Later I'll look at it. The whole thing is pathetic.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:39 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,300,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandice1000 View Post
Life was not paradise back then, you know. Almost everyone in my age group seems to think that sometime in the 90s was the best time ever. Granted I have some nostalgia for the 90s but overall I think the 90s weren't so great, in fact quite a bit of it SUCKED!
I've never heard of anyone being nostalgic about the 90's. In your age group, perhaps your friends who loved the 90's had really happy childhoods for whatever reason...happy family life, great parents, etc.

For me the 90's was my teen years. Troubled family life. End of childhood happiness. Wouldn't wish to go back to my 1990's experience.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:57 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,139,299 times
I was in my 20's in the 90's. It was good, but could have been better. I liked the early to mid 2000's. Everything has fallen apart since, but in the midst of a fallen world i try to do what i want to do and get done as much as possible regardless of what anyone thinks.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:05 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I wanna go back to the 1970's and buy some stock in the computer industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History