U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 09:15 PM

32,525 posts, read 32,826,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I still remember Cuba and dad staying home that day and mom keeping me out of school so if they did fire the mistles we'd be together. I was eleven.
Yep. We thought we weren't going to have a future. Those were horrible days.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 10:02 PM

6,106 posts, read 5,402,823 times
My view of the future was being The Administrator of the National Astronautics Agency and riding as the only passenger on a special Pan Am Orion 3 flight from The Kennedy Space Center to a huge revolving space station where I would be wisked to the Moon and to TMA-1 to deal with a sensitive matter just like the fictional Heyward Floyd (Space Bureaucrat) in the Movie 2001: A Space Odyssey.

I Thought by 2001 we would have large space stations, moon bases and have sent nuclear powered manned missions beyond the orbit of the Moon.

Old 10-04-2014, 12:39 AM

10,766 posts, read 20,684,019 times
I got to the point of figuring out how old I'd be by the year 2000 and then got too boggled about the size of the number (remember the '60's were when you couldn't trust anyone over 30?) and quit thinking about it.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:54 AM

107 posts, read 134,832 times
I am very disappointed with how things how things have turned out. No cure for cancer no flying cars. Indeed most cars still run on gas.
I thought that we would have regular space shuttle launches and moon bases. I thought that there might be several space stations and maybe even a Mars colony by now. I thought robots would do much of the hard dirty work.
I thought that the USA might be part of some kind of union of nations where people would get along. No I am not talking about the U.N. since that organization seems worthless.

Old 10-04-2014, 02:24 AM

10,477 posts, read 13,561,303 times
"The moon landing" and Star Wars gave all these baby boomers false hope

Old 10-04-2014, 06:25 AM

14,545 posts, read 18,900,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
"The moon landing" and Star Wars gave all these baby boomers false hope
Ah, but I remember in those tv shows they had such neat gizmos. There's the communicator. It was the little things which you really fizated on. Just imagine being able to call anyone from anywhere. Now we have virtually the same. They used voice identification and the combadge/unit itself to tell who was there, much like what we carry. And all the computers we surround ourselves with. Who has accumulated more than one? Just think, the early trek shows the computers were mock ups. Later they bridge stations weren't wired, but they had found the look of them mattered very much. Come the second trek movie, they were all set up by laptops the visible was covering. Some of the fx was even launched by the actors by pushing a button on their station.

We don't have all the things people thought about, but its a whole differerent world already, and its changed immensely through technology with things like the internet and the whole cyberworld in the last sixty years. No, we don't have peace on earth, but somehow I suspect we humans really aren't wired for it either.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:05 AM

35,341 posts, read 64,641,117 times
I'd venture to say that any kid who read a sci fi novel or watched a futuristic cartoon had wondered about the future.

Pray tell, what on earth does this inane question have to do with history?????

Old 10-04-2014, 05:20 PM

107 posts, read 134,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'd venture to say that any kid who read a sci fi novel or watched a futuristic cartoon had wondered about the future.

Pray tell, what on earth does this inane question have to do with history?????

Future History?

Old 10-09-2014, 06:45 PM

3,485 posts, read 5,880,077 times
I was "just a kid" in the 1950s and no, I didn't think much about the future. The Jetsons didn't come on the air until 1962, by which time I was a sophomore in high school and didn't believe anything anybody told me. (I was butt-headed that way, you see...)

Old 10-09-2014, 08:02 PM

2,002 posts, read 2,959,189 times
I thought about the future and boy was I wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History