Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 02:03 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
I almost died when I was six years old. My mother later told me it was "blood poisoning" but she is not very educated so not sure if it was septicemia or not and how I got it. I just remember that I did not feel good and was very tired so went to sleep during the middle of the day. My family could not get me to wake up and I was taken to the hospital in an ambulance where I stopped breathing. Assume I was given fluids and lots of antibiotics. Was in the hospital for several days.
Possibly untreated strep. Went through that with my daughter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 05:51 AM

436 posts, read 420,704 times
Yep. I got hyperemesis with my pregnancies. Once I went in for IV fluids from dehydration, and they said that I was so badly off, I would have been going into a coma within six hours.

My son, as an infant, couldn't/wouldn't swallow, and he needed to have IV nutrition. He dropped down to 4 lbs and change and was insanely weak before the doctors helped him.

There are a few times when I wonder if we were on the borderline with various flus and ailments and such, that we might have succumbed to it in a different environment. Certainly if we were trapped in a cabin by ourselves Little House on the Prarie style. But those two incidents, I know we wouldn't have survived for sure.

Last edited by zenapple; 08-17-2014 at 06:22 AM..

Old 08-17-2014, 07:12 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times
Me. I had the same thing John Ritter didn't survive walking across the street to the hospital for, an ascending aortic aneurysm next to my heart. Rarely diagnosed and fatal without (preplanned) open heart surgery. For some miraculous reason my long time doctor sent me for an Xray then a CTscan and they discovered it. I had no symptoms whatsoever.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:32 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,060,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
When I was a toddler, i was diagnosed w eczema. A month later a better doc dx me w scarlet fever and i was given antibiotics. But since it was worsening, i presume I may be dead if not for the penicillin.

Any similar stories to share?
Without cameras, CT scanners, etc, and the British NHS, I would be dead by now. BTW, penicillin was invented in the hospital I had my treatment.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:11 AM

223 posts, read 300,166 times
I have pernicious anemia...which is the inability of your stomach to absorb Vitamin B-12. It can cause a lot of neurological damage and even be fatal. In the 1920's it was discovered that the illness was due to Vitamin B-12 deficiency. I self-administer monthly injections, and my doctor monitors my levels annually.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:42 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,043,157 times
My 7-year old would have likely died 2 years ago from an asthma attack, without breathing treatments, heavy duty steroids, daily inhaler, emergency inhaler. My husband would have died last year from septicemia if not for intravenous antibiotics.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:39 AM

3,486 posts, read 6,507,283 times
If it were not for modern medicine I would be dead three times over. An appendectomy, and two bouts with a bleeding duodenal ulcer -- one in Ireland and one in Spain. Now I can truly say that I have Irish and Spanish blood...

Old 08-17-2014, 10:59 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
I'll skip the appendicitis and go straight to the open-heart surgery to replace my faulty aortic valve with a porcine valve. I thank the little piggy that gave his life so I could live.

Then I thank the technology that found the tumor in my colon; the skill of the surgeon who removed it, along with a section of my plumbing; the chemist(s) who discovered the oral chemotherapy that took care of any rampant cells that might have been left behind.

I thank the vaccines that have kept my children and grandchildren safe from the diseases that formerly took lives worldwide.

While there are now diseases that are incurable, there are people working night and day on looking for a cure for them and surely, they will prevail.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:34 AM

436 posts, read 420,704 times
Oh yeah, my father had a kidney transplant after years of dialysis. And he had diabetes, as well, so there was that. And come to think of it, my grandmother had several strokes.

This thread is definitely making me thankful.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:24 PM

50,331 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I had cancer and appendicitis, not to mention various childhood illnesses requiring antibiotics. My granddaughter had a bladder/kidney issue when she was a baby and she is fine, but my mother's baby sister died at the age of 2 (around 1930)from what we assume was the same thing.

I often think that my parents generation we the last to survive due to natural selection. We are the products of the strong survivors. I wonder if the end of our species will be the result of the weakest among us surviving now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History