Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 10:54 PM

10,018 posts, read 8,621,189 times

Advertisements

What historical events would you like them to make movies of?
Here are a couple I would like to see made into movies.

THE TRI-STATE TORNADO (1925)
THE SS SULTANA EXPLOSION (1865)

I'm surprised they haven't already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 11:08 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
The New London, Texas school explosion (natural gas) in 1937. The explosion killed 295 students and teachers and was the deadliest school disaster in US history. Of the more than 600 people in the school, only about 130 escaped without serious injury.

New London School explosion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-15-2014, 11:15 PM

10,018 posts, read 8,621,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The New London, Texas school explosion (natural gas) in 1937. The explosion killed 295 students and teachers and was the deadliest school disaster in US history. Of the more than 600 people in the school, only about 130 escaped without serious injury.

They should make a movie about that, I never heard of it.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:14 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

Sounds like that could be the feel good school explosion film of the year.

I'd like to see a sophisticated treatment of the Lewis and Clark expedition. It is a fantastic story without any embellishments and deserves better than the god awful 1955 "Far Horizons" with Charlton Heston and Fred MacMurray which got turned into a shoot em up with a romance thrown in between Sacagawea and Clark (Heston). Sacagawea was played by the white bread actress, Donna Reed. The film ignores the fact that Toussaint Charbonneau, Sacagawea's husband, was a member of the expedition.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:17 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,220,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I'd like to see a sophisticated treatment of the Lewis and Clark expedition.
As I have commented on in previous threads, this soaring saga has long been my top choice also. It should have been done in 2004, the bicentennial year of the departure of the expedition. If done with historical accuracy and reality without the usual Hollywood hokum and silly subplots, the film might require an R rating or PG-13 for sure. The relationships of the men with the tribal women, the violence of the fights with grizzlies, and the fight with the young Piegan Blackfeet warriors are adult themes.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:55 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
The sinking of the White Ship (1120)
The loss of this ship in the English Channel claimed the life of the heir to the English crown and lead to a prolonged civil war. The film I imagine would tell two stories - both that of the doomed voyage and that of Henry I in the immediate time both before and after.
White Ship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The voyage of the whaleship Essex (1820)
Sunk in the middle of the Pacific by a ticked-off whale, the crew took to three lifeboats. Some survived and some did not, and some simply disappeared. There was cannibalism, and at one point they drew lots to see who would be killed and eaten. Herman Melville was inspired by the sinking of the whale to write Moby-Dick.
Essex (whaleship) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

The seige of Leningrad (1941-44)
Not just any film about the topic (it's been done numerous times already), but the epic film Sergio Leone never got around to making before he died - Leningrad: the 900 Days, or Once Upon A Time In Russia, as it is sometimes known (Leone never actually got around to deciding on a title).
http://cinetropolis.net/the-great-un...nes-leningrad/

Old 08-17-2014, 04:29 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,652,146 times
The story of Bass Reaves. A U.S. Marshall who would be more famous than Wyatt Earp, except he's black..

The attempted rescue of Patton's Son in Law, who was in A Germany POW camp..

Old 08-17-2014, 04:53 PM

844 posts, read 2,829,562 times
While it's not full-length or comprehensive by any means -- the Lewis and Clark movie shown in the National Park Service center near the Saint Louis Gateway Arch, is quite breathtaking -- with close-up, dramatic shots of grizzly bear attacks, close-ups of their hair-raising trip over whitewater rapids, etc.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:55 PM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
I'd like to see one on the Bonus Army and the attack by the US government.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:59 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
There have been scores of westerns treating Billy the Kid and Jesse James, but never a major motion picture about the guy who truly was the most dangerous man in the west, John Wesley Hardin. An accurate biography would not require embellishments because Harding actually did do stuff like attacking, killing and driving off entire posses sent to catch him.

And they wouldn't have to present him as some mindless killer, Harding was a highly intelligent man who became a lawyer after he was released from prison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History