Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 12:35 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,222,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
There was a very real menace to the settlers of Northwestern Iowa in 1857.
Of course there was, and in the other prairie and plains states in the next twenty years as well, from raids by warriors from the plains tribes. The pivitol event that seems to have set off general warfare may have been the Grattan Fight in August 1854, something that should have never happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I just got a book on Jedediah Smith and it includes his letters. The Kansas Historical society has the originals. The book contains much about the Indian Massacres occurring in the 1820's. I wonder if these attacks occurred more during the opening of the west and not so much after. Perhaps the fur trappers were more of a threat to the lively hoods of the Tribes and thus provoked them.
During the Mountain Man-Fur Trapper era, which only lasted about twenty years, hundreds of men were killed by warriors from at least a score of tribes. The most persistent and deadliest enemy were the Blackfeet, whose hatred toward Americans dated from 1806, when two young Piegan warriors were killed by men from the Lewis & Clark Expedition. Jed Smith himself was killed by Comanches in 1831.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 07:37 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
I just found out that Laura Ingalls Wilder has another manuscript which has languished in a museum in South Dakota for years because it was deemed too realistic to be appropriate reading material for young people. Pioneer Girl: The Annotated Autobiography will be published this fall.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:47 PM

993 posts, read 2,291,157 times
That should be very interesting! I've read all the "Little House on the Prairie" books and really enjoyed them even though they are considered children's literature.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:51 PM

993 posts, read 2,291,157 times
According to Amazon.com, the book should be available September 1.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:15 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
I remember reading little house in the forest/trees which is one of the first books how much it was like a time machine. She talks about the normal life of a young child lived in a forested area, including the toys made of leftover bits of harvest and animals and the vision of the hard life as normal, not really even hard if you had known no other.

Even as an adult its like a small journey into the past. This new one definately sounds interesting.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:45 PM

983 posts, read 994,986 times
Here's some perspective on how times were back then.

"We didn't lack for light when I was a girl, before this newfangled kerosene was ever heard of."
Ma.
"That's so", said Pa, These times are too progressive. Everything has changed too fast. Railroads and telegraph and kerosene and coal stoves--they're good things to have but the trouble is, folks get to depend on 'em."

From, The Long Winter, Laura Ingalls Wilder

Old 08-22-2014, 09:22 PM

888 posts, read 454,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I just found out that Laura Ingalls Wilder has another manuscript which has languished in a museum in South Dakota for years because it was deemed too realistic to be appropriate reading material for young people. Pioneer Girl: The Annotated Autobiography will be published this fall.
A lot of people who read her books growing up will want to read an adult version of her story. You've got me curious about just what wasn't considered age appropriate for young people.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:24 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,267,353 times
How very interesting! I'll have to do more reading in this forum and make note of these books.

I have stories from my mother, not with a lot of detail unfortunately, about a couple of her relatives traveling west by wagon train who were killed by Indians in Michigan. She use to talk about these things as if it were yesterday. They would have descended from original settlers of NH, MA, CT, NY. I know several branches of the family did make it west as the genealogy is familiar to me.

My Ggrandmother was rescued from the war as a child in Mobile to be raised in the east having traveled by way of relatives in Chicago at the time of the fire. I have lots of family daguerreotypes. I can't imagine how difficult life must have been in those early days. It's amazing there was so much travel.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:05 AM

12,957 posts, read 13,671,429 times
Something I always notice in the letters is they start with some thing like , " this is my second letter and I have not heard from you," or " I received your last letter." I can't imagine what it was like to have to wait months between every correspondence. Especially if some one was ill.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:55 AM

983 posts, read 994,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedPeach View Post
A lot of people who read her books growing up will want to read an adult version of her story. You've got me curious about just what wasn't considered age appropriate for young people.
I wonder if it will include the "Bloody Benders?"
Bloody Benders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History