Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 01:38 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,246,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
One big difference - I don't remember Sisko screwing every green colored alien female that he crossed paths with however.
I guess when you're the Emmisary of the Prophets there are a few things you have to watch out for.... I can see Jake just looking at him in teen mode saying dad, really....

But Sisko was a commander made for war, and the little we saw of Kirk in such ciircumstances, he was too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 04:03 PM

3,484 posts, read 6,506,894 times
Captain Kirk was unencumbered by wife, family or offspring. At least, until the second movie, The Wrath of Khan...

Commander Sisko had a son whose name was Jake, and who was with him on DS-9. In the early episodes, and in his mind, he was still "married" to Jake's mother.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:21 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,156,553 times
6 years old. In the living room. Watching after my nominal bedtime. This and any televised actual rocket launch were my "Get out of Bedtime Free" card.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:54 AM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB93 View Post
Back in the year 1966 where were you when the TV show Star Trek showed up? What were you doing and do you have any memories of when Star Trek Was on?
I was a small child at that time. But I do remember at some point watching the Star Trek TV series because my father liked it (and still does as far I know).

Old 11-27-2014, 12:50 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,987,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Its telling that Gene put a proficent female officer in as second in command, and wanted alien faces mixed in the crew because it was supposed to be about the future. But CBS couldn't cope with Number One (later Mrs. Roddenberry) and they nearly wrote out Spock. CBS was astonished when they started getting mounds of letters about this alien they didn't want on the show.... compared to things like lost in Space it was the closest to real science fiction in any series except twilight zone.

I don't think the first pilot was ever shown in its entirity on tv, but was shown widly at conventions and released on video tape.
CBS didn't run Star Trek ,NBC did! There were other shows that were SciFi .

For example "The Time Tunnel, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, The Invaders, The Outer Limits, The Twilight Zone, and UFO."

Last edited by mwruckman; 11-27-2014 at 01:13 PM..

Old 11-27-2014, 01:10 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,987,241 times
When Star Trek first aired I lived in the Oregon Cascades about 100 miles South of Portland and our antenna couldn't pull in a watchable picture of the NBC affiliate in Portland. The ABC station came from Eugene and the CBS station in Portland used a repeater to boost the signal in the Southern Willamette Valley. So we watched those other networks. (Today one would have cable or satellite TV) I saw one Star Trek episode when we went to Porterville California to visit my Aunt Dorothy and Uncle Gene during the Christmas Holliday in 1966. It was on the NBC affiliate out of Bakersfield. We moved from the West Coast to Pennsylvania in late summer 1967 and with cable TV got more TV channels than one could imagine and Star Trek (3rd season).

Old 11-27-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
CBS didn't run Star Trek ,NBC did! There were other shows that were SciFi .

For example "The Time Tunnel, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, The Invaders, The Outer Limits, The Twilight Zone, and UFO."
Actually CBS owns the rights and the production company. You can see every episode on their online library. NBC wasn't fond of Spock either, and the money sorts instantly vetoed Number One. Gene produced the pilot to his standards, not the suits. Spock was intended to just be part of the crew, and a visible alien presence. I'd have loved to see her as a competent second in command over our favorite nurse to make fun of.

I watched all of those shows and if someone showed the origional Outer Limits again I'd be right there. Watched some of the TZ marathon on the Los Angeles station I get on Dish.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Captain Kirk was unencumbered by wife, family or offspring. At least, until the second movie, The Wrath of Khan...

Commander Sisko had a son whose name was Jake, and who was with him on DS-9. In the early episodes, and in his mind, he was still "married" to Jake's mother.
True. Being the Emmisary of the Prophets also imposed a standard. But most of all he still wasn't over the guilt of losing his wife. Jake was a typical teen and when joined with Nog a force to be reconed with. I love that both ended up choosing paths which their fathers had not intended they take.

I wonder is somewhere among those miscenenous females there wasn't one who was genetically compatable with the good Captain Kirk. Hard so say if he had offspring or not.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:19 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,252,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
...if someone showed the origional Outer Limits again I'd be right there.

Perhaps starting with Bruce Dern in "The Zanti Misfits"?

Old 11-27-2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Perhaps starting with Bruce Dern in "The Zanti Misfits"?
They'd have to show "The Man who was Never Born", and "Soldier" and "Demon with a Glass Hand". I've met Harlan Ellison and he could be like a little touchy bulldog sometimes, but dang he can write.

It's on Hulu free, so maybe it would be fun to do my own marathon. Including the recent series.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History