Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2007, 05:59 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,686,696 times

Advertisements

Christmas famously "comes but once a year." In fact, however, it comes twice. The Christmas of the Nativity, the manger and Christ child, the wise men and the star of Bethlehem, "Silent Night" and "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" is one holiday. The Christmas of parties, Santa Claus, evergreens, presents, "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" and "Jingle Bells" is quite another.

But because both celebrations fall on Dec. 25, the two are constantly confused. Religious Christians condemn taking "the Christ out of Christmas," while First Amendment absolutists see a threat to the separation of church and state in every poinsettia on public property and school dramatization of "A Christmas Carol."

A little history can clear things up.

The Christmas of parties and presents is far older than the Nativity. Most ancient cultures celebrated the winter solstice, when the sun reaches its lowest point and begins to climb once more in the sky. In ancient Rome, this festival was called the Saturnalia and ran from Dec. 17 to Dec. 24. During that week, no work was done, and the time was spent in parties, games, gift giving and decorating the houses with evergreens. (Sound familiar?) It was, needless to say, a very popular holiday.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1198...523-email.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 07:10 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,129,828 times
Thumbs up Christmas on January 6th

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Christmas famously "comes but once a year." In fact, however, it comes twice. The Christmas of the Nativity, the manger and Christ child, the wise men and the star of Bethlehem, "Silent Night" and "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" is one holiday. The Christmas of parties, Santa Claus, evergreens, presents, "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" and "Jingle Bells" is quite another.

But because both celebrations fall on Dec. 25, the two are constantly confused. Religious Christians condemn taking "the Christ out of Christmas," while First Amendment absolutists see a threat to the separation of church and state in every poinsettia on public property and school dramatization of "A Christmas Carol."

A little history can clear things up.

The Christmas of parties and presents is far older than the Nativity. Most ancient cultures celebrated the winter solstice, when the sun reaches its lowest point and begins to climb once more in the sky. In ancient Rome, this festival was called the Saturnalia and ran from Dec. 17 to Dec. 24. During that week, no work was done, and the time was spent in parties, games, gift giving and decorating the houses with evergreens. (Sound familiar?) It was, needless to say, a very popular holiday.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1198...523-email.html
I am told that the Eastern Orthodox Churces celebrate Christmasm on January 6th...something about a disagreement in the time frame the North Star pointed to Jesus and when he was actually born...???

Old 12-26-2007, 07:12 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,412,906 times
Mickey... I think Jan. 6th is when the 3 wise men got there, to Bethlahem. Orthodox disagree about the time of Easter...

Old 12-26-2007, 08:10 AM

17,765 posts, read 39,795,903 times
January 6th is Ephiphany or Three Kings. It's when the 3 wise men found Jesus. When I was in Russia (when it was still the USSR), they put more emphasis on the January 6th celebration.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:12 PM

278 posts, read 911,578 times
It wasn't three kings. It was a caravan of merchants, generally travelling in groups of 100-300 who gave three types of gifts. Someone pointed that out to me in the Bible once and I can't believe how many times I had read it and heard it ....and it wasn't even what it actually said.

There is also documentation supporting the idea that Jesus was conceived the end of December and actually born the end of September. Not the shepherds, nor the merchant caravans, would be traveling/grazing their flock during the winter months.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:30 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,662,166 times
I found this article on the argument of when Jesus is born
http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Art...christmas.html

I found it interesting.

Old 12-30-2007, 03:16 PM

17,765 posts, read 39,795,903 times
I'm just tellin' ya what some people call January 6th, historically accurate or not, some people refer to it as Three Kings. Sorry if that upsets. you.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:39 AM

278 posts, read 911,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I'm just tellin' ya what some people call January 6th, historically accurate or not, some people refer to it as Three Kings. Sorry if that upsets. you.
Naaa..I never get upset over trivia. I actually didn't know about the January 6th holiday...so I thought it was interesting.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:57 AM

902 posts, read 721,077 times
Christimas is really a Pagan holiday that the Christians took to get more Pagans into the church. It was also Mithra's birthday and there is no way that Jesus was born in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History