Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 09:20 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times

Advertisements

I don't think we can really conclusively prove or disprove if ol' Ezra was hung. Maybe letters from old girlfriends exist. Who knows?

I always liked Pound's poetry. I do not like Hemingway's worldview, either. But that doesn't mean I'll boycott his books. (Or Pound's poems. Or Orff's music.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 09:20 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,513,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Ezra Pound, writer of notoriously unreadable and unintelligible so called poetry, was convicted of treason after World War II for making propaganda broadcasts for the Axis aimed at audiences in the Allied nations. Yet, Pound avoided being executed and was confined to St. Elizabeth's mental hospital for years where he continued to write so called poetry, do interviews, and even have sex with women. Did Pound have people "pulling the strings" for him - perhaps high up people in government who shared his antisemitic views? Why wasn't he put to death?
Bad genetics? I'm not sure, but the rumor is that HE WAS!!

Old 09-10-2014, 09:34 AM

3,299 posts, read 3,026,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I don't know, I just came here to say, "hanged."
Me too, I was going to answer the title by saying I supposed it was in his genes.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:59 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,617,606 times
^
You know I think it can be said Pound's approach to economics helped to order his views on Jews and on Fascism. I can't help thinking that he would really excoriate bankers and the financial system today. The poems would be flyin' fast and furious, i.e. maybe they'd be 'The Banker Cantos' right next to the Pisan ones...;-)...

Old 09-10-2014, 10:47 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I don't think we can really conclusively prove or disprove if ol' Ezra was hung. Maybe letters from old girlfriends exist. Who knows?

I always liked Pound's poetry. I do not like Hemingway's worldview, either. But that doesn't mean I'll boycott his books. (Or Pound's poems. Or Orff's music.)
Big difference between Hemingway and Pound. Hemingway was not on the payroll of the enemy making propaganda broadcasts and advocating that Italian youth become suicide bombers to kill his countrymen.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:00 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,617,606 times
^
And regarding Ernest on Pound, I think he even stood up for him. But I'm not sure if he couldn't tolerate some things he did while the war was going on. I mean Ernest himself was out there 'hunting' the enemy.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:18 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Big difference between Hemingway and Pound. Hemingway was not on the payroll of the enemy making propaganda broadcasts and advocating that Italian youth become suicide bombers to kill his countrymen.
Agreed. But I still don't care for either man's worldview. Hemingway's machismo swagger was merely "distasteful," not traitorous.

Doesn't stop me from enjoying their work.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:42 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
P.G. Wodehouse, my very favorite writer, was marooned in France in June, 1940. He spent the war in a German internment camp and actually made, naively, a few humorous broadcasts. The British were outraged so, when the war ended, he came to the United States. The Brits eventually forgave him, giving him a knighthood. But he still spent the remainder of his very productive life on Long Island writing very funny books and developing a passion for baseball, most notably the New York Mets.

More on the subject here: P G Wodehouse: filthy traitor or frightful ass? - Telegraph

Thank God for that! What would one do without Jeeves and Wooster one does not know!

Stephanie 'Stiffy' Byng: Bertie, I think you're a pig!
Bertie: A pig, maybe, but a shrewd, level-headed pig, a pig who was not born yesterday and who has seen a thing or two.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:57 PM

4,205 posts, read 4,457,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
I hate to be a pendant too, but that kinda annoyed me.

Because asking why wasn't Ezra Pound "hanged" asks why he wasn't executed. Asking why Ezra Pound wasn't "hung" asks why Ezra Pound didn't have a large penis.

I don't know. Maybe he really was asking about the size of Ezra's package.
He was. It weighed a pound, The women referenced in OP pulled the strings. And he got off!
The women notoriously exclaimed how they could squeeze an ounce from a Pound.
And if grammatically analogous to the OP, the women stated they got pun'd by a Poet named Pound.

Seriously, this thread is ripe for ribald responses.

As few others have mentioned (I've only read some of Pound's work and it was long ago) it seems his peers in literary world stood up for him in expressing his views however repellant they may have been to some. It's a far cry from today's politically correct ridiculousness.

Also, to put this in richer context recall that the elites of the day (post WW2) had no problem adopting and securing intelligentsia of the enemy for their own purposes (Operation Paperclip)

Operation Paperclip - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note: placing someone in a Mental Hospital may or may not always have to be to protect but to marginalize and quell legitimate dialogue.

Funny aside: Ezra Pound in certain photos

he looked like an enraged broken Burgess Meredith after his eyeglasses break in that Twilight Zone episode.

"My eyeglasses! These books, I can't read them! Argghhh!"

Old 09-10-2014, 08:02 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
Me too, I was going to answer the title by saying I supposed it was in his genes.
You are probably right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History