Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 10:35 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,614,742 times

Advertisements

You know in looking at Pound and his life I'd say whatever he did outside of his writing sure looked like it didn't affect it much. I mean he arguably is one of the world's great poets. The 'Cantos' of his are great gems in literature. Same with Ernest. He drank like hell but overall his prose really never shows a hangover. These type of individuals arguably can operate in two different worlds and not let it disturb their great talent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 03:50 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
The modern parallel is Jane Fonda. She not only visited a country with whom we were having open hostilities, she also criticized the United States government while doing so. The stories of her selling out American POWs are calumny and been proved false again and again, but her allowing herself to be a propaganda instrument of the North Vietnamese is bad enough.

So while I can admire her movies, I really can't forget that.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Thank God for that! What would one do without Jeeves and Wooster one does not know!

Stephanie 'Stiffy' Byng: Bertie, I think you're a pig!
Bertie: A pig, maybe, but a shrewd, level-headed pig, a pig who was not born yesterday and who has seen a thing or two.
Thank you for that. I really feel sorry for those who have never read Wodehouse, the funniest writer the language has ever known. Here are just a few of mine...

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty.”

“She looked as if she had been poured into her clothes and had forgotten to say "when". ”

“Unseen in the background, Fate was quietly slipping lead into the boxing-glove.”

“It was one of the dullest speeches I ever heard. The Agee woman told us for three quarters of an hour how she came to write her beastly book, when a simple apology was all that was required.”

“It isn't often that Aunt Dahlia lets her angry passions rise, but when she does, strong men climb trees and pull them up after them.”

“Have you ever been turned down by a girl who afterwards married and then been introduced to her husband? If so you'll understand how I felt when Clarence burst on me. You know the feeling. First of all, when you hear about the marriage, you say to yourself, "I wonder what he's like." Then you meet him, and think, "There must be some mistake. She can't have preferred this to me!”

Old 09-12-2014, 12:09 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Thank you for that. I really feel sorry for those who have never read Wodehouse, the funniest writer the language has ever known. Here are just a few of mine...

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty.”

“She looked as if she had been poured into her clothes and had forgotten to say "when". ”

“Unseen in the background, Fate was quietly slipping lead into the boxing-glove.”

“It was one of the dullest speeches I ever heard. The Agee woman told us for three quarters of an hour how she came to write her beastly book, when a simple apology was all that was required.”

“It isn't often that Aunt Dahlia lets her angry passions rise, but when she does, strong men climb trees and pull them up after them.”

“Have you ever been turned down by a girl who afterwards married and then been introduced to her husband? If so you'll understand how I felt when Clarence burst on me. You know the feeling. First of all, when you hear about the marriage, you say to yourself, "I wonder what he's like." Then you meet him, and think, "There must be some mistake. She can't have preferred this to me!”

Brilliant!

Have been waiting and wondering if "Jeeves & Wooster" would be redone, but then again doubt no one could top the original so why bother? *LOL*

Like Nancy Mitford's The Pursuit of Love and Love In A Cold Climate, Wodehouse captures the thing perfectly.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:59 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I don't think we can really conclusively prove or disprove if ol' Ezra was hung. Maybe letters from old girlfriends exist. Who knows?

I always liked Pound's poetry. I do not like Hemingway's worldview, either. But that doesn't mean I'll boycott his books. (Or Pound's poems. Or Orff's music.)
There's a saying that one can admire Sinatra's music without admiring Sinatra the person.

Old 09-12-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Brilliant!

Have been waiting and wondering if "Jeeves & Wooster" would be redone, but then again doubt no one could top the original so why bother? *LOL*

Like Nancy Mitford's The Pursuit of Love and Love In A Cold Climate, Wodehouse captures the thing perfectly.
Are you referring to the PBS series? That came awfully close, but the thing that really carried Wodehouses' work was his prose style, the first-person babblings of Bertie Wooster, the greatest narrator in literary history.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:36 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,614,742 times
Re: 'I really can't forgive that'

You know I'm wondering if the opprobrium for certain writers gets lifted a bit if their 'bad' deeds aren't involved with the bugaboo of ...politics. Anything else is ok!
Let's see. Fitzgerald drank, Faulkner drank, Hemingway drank. Drinking looks like it was part of the writer's job.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:34 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Are you referring to the PBS series? That came awfully close, but the thing that really carried Wodehouses' work was his prose style, the first-person babblings of Bertie Wooster, the greatest narrator in literary history.
So as not to continue hijacking this thread will begin a separate "Jeeves and Wooster" in the "television" forum.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:31 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
There's a saying that one can admire Sinatra's music without admiring Sinatra the person.
At the risk of derailing the thread, what was so wrong with Sinatra? He was color-blind in an age of racism. He offered to help the FBI against the mafia. So what if he drank a lot of Jack Daniels and bedded a lot of women? If I had the romantic opportunities "Ol' Blue Eyes" had, I would have pursued them as well.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
At the risk of derailing the thread, what was so wrong with Sinatra? He was color-blind in an age of racism. He offered to help the FBI against the mafia. So what if he drank a lot of Jack Daniels and bedded a lot of women? If I had the romantic opportunities "Ol' Blue Eyes" had, I would have pursued them as well.
He was a pretty horrible and violent man. Not a picnic to have as a husband. I mean, if you don't respect yourself, knock yourself out.

Frank Sinatra: The truth | Express Yourself | Comment | Daily Express
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History