U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-27-2014, 10:39 PM
 
Location: Nescopeck, Penna. (birthplace)
14,287 posts, read 8,744,402 times
Reputation: 18347

Advertisements

And do the Chicken Littles here really believe that surrendering more of our autonomy to Big Brother will improve our security?

I know of only one form of absolute security -- used to work in a place where it was purchased and used; it's ten feet long, three feet wide, and six feet deep.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 09-27-2014, 10:39 PM
 
Location: Maryland about 20 miles NW of DC
6,106 posts, read 5,402,823 times
Reputation: 2451
A limited nuclear exchange would cause 10s of millions of deaths (e.g. India and Pakistan, or Israel and Iran or China and the USA) and the climate upset might kill many millions more. The climate change expected from our failure to do any thing significant to curb the injection of carbon into our atmosphere is expected to subject at least 5 billion people in nations with heat waves, tropical disease drought, flooding ,failure of agriculture and permanent sealevel encroachment so hundreds of million of people will probably die even if desparate nations keep their nuclaer weapons in their holsters.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-29-2014, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Long Island
87 posts, read 75,881 times
Reputation: 66
Im not sure that I believe we are definately headed towards another world war, the world actually seems more integrated today than 100 years ago. Plus there is a well connected global elite today.

However, I do think there is going to be some kind of health catastrophe during the 21st century. People live in large cities where infection is easily spread. I dont think it will be the end of civilization, but I do think alot of people will die and Im sure it will be some stain of the flu virus.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-29-2014, 03:29 PM
 
914 posts, read 645,493 times
Reputation: 1439
It will be just as bloody as the centuries which proceeded it. People will always be people regardless of where or when they live.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-30-2014, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Cushing OK
14,545 posts, read 18,900,969 times
Reputation: 16880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You may not be aware of the hundreds of devices detonated in above-ground nuclear testing during the 40s and 50s (mostly by the US), and a lot of them were on US soil. Most of the people in the world did not get sick. But when hospitals take X-rays of us Baby Boomers, it's a closely held medical secret that they don't actually have to turn on the x-ray machine.

Actually, as bad and terrifying as nukes are, nukes aren't that bad. Had the US and USSR gotten into their big nuclear battle, that might have been the outcome--but that would have been upwards of 30,000 nuclear detonations across a large area of the northern hemisphere within 48 hours or so.

But the most likely nuclear war would be Pakistan-India, and that won't go more than a half-dozen explosions. Otherwise, a detonation here and there won't end civilization and might not even cause a statistically significant rise in global illness.
One of the most devistating moments is just a few epidemics away. We changed the whole picture of lifespan expectations when we first developed anti biotics. But in the last ten years even commercial research on new ones has ceased. The US government is researching new ones as they have insufficent commercial value for profit and the drug companies aren't intersted. and in the meanwhile we have increasing numbers of cases of deadly incurable infections.

Before that, most soldiers did not die of wounds, but the infections from those wounds. WW2 was the first war which saw that change with a use of penicillin. But people died of cuts and small injuries when infections took over. The next time you go to the dentist, our cut yourself, or a scrach turns red and scaly, just think if we lived in a world we used to where those cuts and small injuries could kill you and did, and that if we don't replace what we have, we'll be right back there.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-30-2014, 05:35 PM
 
23,230 posts, read 13,319,377 times
Reputation: 24101
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Now that we are firmly in the 21st century, while there still are lots of wars/battles going around, do you think that, overall, the 21st century will end up being the least bloodiest century since the beginning of recorded history? Or do you think we'll have a WWIII or something close? Or could this be a relatively peaceful century?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
One of the most devistating moments is just a few epidemics away. We changed the whole picture of lifespan expectations when we first developed anti biotics. But in the last ten years even commercial research on new ones has ceased. The US government is researching new ones as they have insufficent commercial value for profit and the drug companies aren't intersted. and in the meanwhile we have increasing numbers of cases of deadly incurable infections.

Before that, most soldiers did not die of wounds, but the infections from those wounds. WW2 was the first war which saw that change with a use of penicillin. But people died of cuts and small injuries when infections took over. The next time you go to the dentist, our cut yourself, or a scrach turns red and scaly, just think if we lived in a world we used to where those cuts and small injuries could kill you and did, and that if we don't replace what we have, we'll be right back there.
The interest of the OP was not about natural disasters or social illnesses, but specifically about war.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-30-2014, 06:38 PM
 
Location: San Diego CA
6,652 posts, read 4,452,024 times
Reputation: 11717
Bloodiest of all. It will Make WW2 look like a school yard fistfight. Global Warming and Peak Oil. Super Powers scrambling for diminishing sources of water, foodstuffs and gasoline.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-30-2014, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Cushing OK
14,545 posts, read 18,900,969 times
Reputation: 16880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The interest of the OP was not about natural disasters or social illnesses, but specifically about war.
But it impacts wars too. Way back when, more soldiers died from accidents and slight non combat injuries than direct battle. A cut could infect and turn into a death sentence. And sickness caused by bacterial things wasn't curable so a portion of an army, under the hard conditions they lived, would have died from that. Usually the human cost of war in terms of casualties is counted in deaths, not necessarily on the battlefield. If injuries on the way which infected, common illness which are mostly now curable, and minor injuries in the dirt of battle were added in a lot more would die.

Rates of disease and illness have always impacted wars and far more died in WW1 from that than the actual fighting. WW2 was the first war that introduced penicillin, at the end of the war. Untold numbers who were born post war might never have been if their fathers had not had a treatment which saved them. So we of the 'boomer' generation are perhaps the first one which in part owes their existance to blue bread mold.

War will never go away but when more die before the first battle it changes the dynmamics of war and its strategy.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-01-2014, 11:09 AM
 
Location: Maryland about 20 miles NW of DC
6,106 posts, read 5,402,823 times
Reputation: 2451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padajo View Post
Im not sure that I believe we are definately headed towards another world war, the world actually seems more integrated today than 100 years ago. Plus there is a well connected global elite today.

However, I do think there is going to be some kind of health catastrophe during the 21st century. People live in large cities where infection is easily spread. I dont think it will be the end of civilization, but I do think alot of people will die and Im sure it will be some stain of the flu virus.

I think you would find people in Europe's Great Powers thought that the stupidity that lead to war had been tamed in 1913 after all we they so civilized and cultured and virtually all the monarchies of Europe had blood ties (The Czar of Russia, the Kaiser in Germany and the King of England shared DNA markers). When global war comes again we will all consider it the best option just like out great grand parents did a century ago.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:49 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top