U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2014, 04:00 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,568,655 times

Advertisements

One of the great tragedies in WW2 for sure. It started in July 1944 and was thought to be a few days and then the Soviet forces on the other side of the Vistula river would come to their aid. However, Stalin was too happy to let the Germans massacre any Polish leadership that was independent and not under his iron control. Thus the Polish Underground Army fought against impossible odds alone and the Nazis killed a lot of trapped civilians and destroyed the whole city. &0 years ago the Polish Underground Army capitulated rather than swimming across the Vistula. After the immense suffering by the Nazi occupation a long and dreary soviet communist dominance followed for another 45 years. Nonetheless we have all reason to honor the men and women fighting this desperate fight.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 11:32 AM

447 posts, read 636,638 times
From what I have read about it Stalin actually had a radio broadcast telling the Polish people to rise up against the Germans fooling the Polish to thinking the Soviet army would help them and all along Stalin just wanted that Polish government smashed. And thats because he wanted to set up his puppet government in Poland. I agree it was a tragedy. I always wonder if the Red army tropps wanted to help the Polish and wondered why they were ordered not to help the Polish ? Ron

Old 10-01-2014, 03:45 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,568,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 383man View Post
From what I have read about it Stalin actually had a radio broadcast telling the Polish people to rise up against the Germans fooling the Polish to thinking the Soviet army would help them and all along Stalin just wanted that Polish government smashed. And thats because he wanted to set up his puppet government in Poland. I agree it was a tragedy. I always wonder if the Red army tropps wanted to help the Polish and wondered why they were ordered not to help the Polish ? Ron
Yeah it's really a tough call as to who was more evil - Hitler or Stalin. They were in a tough competition for the worst of all times spot.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:55 AM

447 posts, read 636,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
Yeah it's really a tough call as to who was more evil - Hitler or Stalin. They were in a tough competition for the worst of all times spot.

And I know Polish troops were fighting with the Red army so I have to wander if any of the Polish divisions or troops were near there and also wondered why they did not get orders to help the people in Warsaw ? Course we all know its because Stalin was an evil SOB but what did the individual Polish or Soviet soldier think about it as you cant blame the individual Soviet soldier since they had to follow orders. Ron
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History