U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 02:01 PM

31,371 posts, read 33,761,762 times

Advertisements

Video: Full Episode | Watch Rise of the Black Pharaohs Online | PBS Video
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 02:19 PM

48,571 posts, read 20,525,164 times
From the introduction to the video:

Quote:
This unlikely chapter of history has been buried by the Egyptians
I Googled the topic and there is a wealth of information available, the names of all of the rulers of the 25th dynasty, the names of their multiple wives/queens, what great public works were undertaken during this period, how they came to power, how they fell, information about their cultural practices and art contributions....

Apparently the Egyptians didn't bury it very deep.

Old 10-03-2014, 02:34 PM

31,371 posts, read 33,761,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Apparently the Egyptians didn't bury it very deep.
I can't, or care to, defend how programs or articles spin their intros or headlines. The topic has been argued here, I found an interesting program, and I leave it at that.

Old 10-03-2014, 03:04 PM

48,571 posts, read 20,525,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I can't, or care to, defend how programs or articles spin their intros or headlines. The topic has been argued here, I found an interesting program, and I leave it at that.
I was not suggesting that you were responsible for the introduction.

I have a distaste for history which is marketed as "the unknown story of.." or "..the hidden story of.." when in fact it hasn't been hidden at all. The reason people are not familiar with the Nubian dynasty in Egypt isn't because the information has been treated in some clandestine manner, it is for the same reasons that people do not know anything about the dynasties which proceeded the Nubians, nor the ones which came after....because they have not read any of the materials.

Adding that business about the Egyptians trying to bury the story provides an instant political agenda aspect to the presentation, which detracts from the amount of credibility which I will be bringing to my reading of such information.

Old 10-03-2014, 03:30 PM

4,174 posts, read 3,056,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I was not suggesting that you were responsible for the introduction.

I have a distaste for history which is marketed as "the unknown story of.." or "..the hidden story of.." when in fact it hasn't been hidden at all. The reason people are not familiar with the Nubian dynasty in Egypt isn't because the information has been treated in some clandestine manner, it is for the same reasons that people do not know anything about the dynasties which proceeded the Nubians, nor the ones which came after....because they have not read any of the materials.

Adding that business about the Egyptians trying to bury the story provides an instant political agenda aspect to the presentation, which detracts from the amount of credibility which I will be bringing to my reading of such information.
Also, this chapter of history lasts less than 100 years before Taharka is beaten by the Assyrians and flees Egypt.

The Nubians are a great people who served as partners and rivals to Egypt for millennium, and other dynasties are suspected of being Nubian, but history is what it is.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:41 PM

25,576 posts, read 17,076,186 times
The belief that race was important to the ancient Egyptians is a modern conceit.
Race was not at all important. Power and civilization were the important things and went hand in hand.

Since the Nile was dependable in it's bounty, it's easy to understand why it became a center of civilization. Civilization meant more humans lived longer and stayed fatter than they did as hunter-gatherers, and societal power grew out of civilization. The Nile attracted all humans, no matter what their colors were.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:37 PM

57,775 posts, read 50,374,082 times
I read a National Geographic article about the Black Pharaohs. I was never taught this in school, period, not even in college.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I read a National Geographic article about the Black Pharaohs. I was never taught this in school, period, not even in college.
I am going to open up a huge can of worms here.

There are other dynasties suspected of being, as Martin Bernal called it, "usefully black," including but not limited to the first, eleventh, twelfth, and eighteenth.

I want to be honest here...despite being a big fan of African culture I am HATED by the Afrocentrists on this site for my insistence that the Egyptians are basically the same people that they have always been and there was never a magical time when all of Egypt was black. But they are indeed mixed race, and it is entirely possible that dynasties before the 25th were Nubian in origin.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:38 AM

57,775 posts, read 50,374,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
I am going to open up a huge can of worms here.

There are other dynasties suspected of being, as Martin Bernal called it, "usefully black," including but not limited to the first, eleventh, twelfth, and eighteenth.

I want to be honest here...despite being a big fan of African culture I am HATED by the Afrocentrists on this site for my insistence that the Egyptians are basically the same people that they have always been and there was never a magical time when all of Egypt was black. But they are indeed mixed race, and it is entirely possible that dynasties before the 25th were Nubian in origin.
There was also a Nubian civilization, with its own pyramids. No one recognizes them.

I know that historically, Egypt was a mixed society, and that there were Black Africans who were a part of it. However, no one seems to talk about this. In fact, for a time, I thought Egypt was a White European society. I never knew it was an Arab nation based on what I saw in artist rendering in elementary school. Brainwashing starts young. And so does anger.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There was also a Nubian civilization, with its own pyramids. No one recognizes them.

I know that historically, Egypt was a mixed society, and that there were Black Africans who were a part of it. However, no one seems to talk about this. In fact, for a time, I thought Egypt was a White European society. I never knew it was an Arab nation based on what I saw in artist rendering in elementary school. Brainwashing starts young. And so does anger.
The Nubian civilizations are getting more and more well known. Herodotus writes about them extensively if you are interested. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History