U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 04:25 PM

31,371 posts, read 33,730,916 times

Advertisements

To begin with the "40 hour week is a misnomer, I think what you should be referring to is the 8 hour day (employees can still be compelled to work more than forty hours as long as you are paid time and one half for hours over the 40).

There was no one person who "initiated" the 8 hour day but rather thousands of working men and women who campaigned for the 8 hour day as early as the late 18th century and many achieved such local rules in the mid 19th century.

Nationally the first legislation requiring a 8 hour day for workers was enacted in 1916 and was introduced by Rep. William C. Adamson in response to the threat of a nation wide railway strike. Otherwise the 8 hour day was confined to individual labor contracts. The extension of the 8 hour day to most workers in the United States didn't occur until 1937 with the passage of the Fair Labor Standards Act.

Soooo, to answer the question...no President initiated either an 8 hour day or a 40 hour week, working men and women in the American labor movement did.

Last edited by ovcatto; 10-16-2014 at 05:13 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 07:47 PM

8,393 posts, read 11,763,578 times
The standard 40 hr work week only applied to certain professions.
Nurses almost never work the 9 to 5 (40) hr a week job.
Teachers work less hrs,but then they work more than 40 when you add the paperwork and lesson planning in.
Same with police,firefighters,etc

A 40 hr work week is going the way of the dinosaur now.
Most people i know work 60+ hrs a week.

Most people in other countries today work more than 60 hrs plus.
Farmers used to work sun up to sun down.

The 40 hour work week is a fairly new concept in human history

Old 10-16-2014, 09:19 PM

18,782 posts, read 15,354,431 times
This would be the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938, signed into law by FDR.

Fair Labor Standards Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-16-2014, 09:26 PM

3,289 posts, read 5,043,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Me no like the 40-hour work week. I feel it's inhumane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Child?! I'm f***ing 40 years old. Pay the bills?! Been there, sick of that. Entitled to despise society and be clueless about history. Literally dug in the trenches serving in the US Army for y'all.
You had 40 hour work weeks while in the US Army?

Old 10-17-2014, 08:00 AM

1,474 posts, read 1,923,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
You had 40 hour work weeks while in the US Army?
no, was closer to 24/7 work demands back then.

Old 10-17-2014, 03:54 PM

10,881 posts, read 9,841,208 times
The first version of the Fair Labor Standards Act was passed in 1938, requiring overtime pay above 44 hours. When amended in 1940, this was reduced to 40 hours. The Act has been amended a number of times. Setting the threshold for overtime time was an economic incentive that led to reductions in work-week hours in the private sector.

Old 10-17-2014, 04:10 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,435,129 times
Interesting. Retired from the insurance industry. No union protection. Never had a 40 hr work week nor any overtime. You worked till your daily work objectives were done. If they weren't done you worked into the evening. Probably the majority of US workers fall into this category.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:45 PM

792 posts, read 1,793,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novila View Post
Don't think there's any need for a 40-hour workweek at all, unless you want to keep up with the Joneses. I have a good friend living down south enjoying great weather, great people and working half the year, off the rest. No kids, no pets. Myself, I have a dog so my hubby and I kind of trade off working when we feel like it or when bills get pressing. And no, nobody is on welfare. We make it work because life is not about drudgery, it's about great experiences and wonderful people.

how do you do it? how do you keep a roof over your head and food on the table and the dog fed without working. What is the secret to it? Really, I am not trying to be obnoxious but short of having a really good paying job how can one accomplish this in 2014 on say $10 or $12 an hour job? I can see how it may work for some well paid salary or even hourly worker but the average low wage earner Joe I can't see how this would be possible especially after uncle sam gets his cut.
Short of being on welfare, retired with big savings, getting a monthly S.S. or a pension for income how do you pay for lifes necessities when you are not working and collecting a paycheck? I have a friend that take public transportation live in a $600 one bedroom apartment (heat and hot water included). he doesn't drink or do drugs. No internet or cable TV (just the over the air channels) he cut coupons and look for sales for every necessity purchase. he still manage to save less than $200 a month between rent, health insurance, food and the occasional extra expense like a doctors appointment co-pay or clothing expenses. he doesn't even go out to eat more than once a year or even take a actual vacation except for a rare occasional day trip to the beach. I also know people that work half the year in OCNJ and spend 5 months in the Florida keys. They work 80 hours weeks for that half a year during the busy tourist season to be able to afford 5 months off in the winter.
How does you friend down south do it? how does he pay for living expenses to enjoy great weather, people just working less than 40 hours a week for 6 months of the year. What can do you do for a really great experience with wonderful people without spending any money? Short of sitting around talking, walking or watching a free movie on TV what can one do that doe not cost money in some way shape or form with wonderful people that is a great experience? Really I want to know the secret to just getting by not having to work or working when i feel like it without a concern for paying for life's necessities

Old 10-19-2014, 06:23 AM

3,445 posts, read 5,394,254 times
Perhaps Novilla lives in Maine.

My brother lived there for awhile. Although he was in the medical profession and worked full time many of his inlaws and friends never held full time jobs. They took seasonal work, did occasional construction jobs, worked the lobster boats, or found small temp jobs in retail.

They never had great houses, never a new car, didnt care about their wardrobe, didnt have tye newest gadgets, and didnt seem to mind not having any of that stuff.

In some parts of the country that would be considered lazy. In Maine, it just is a lifestyle. They dont seem to worry about too much other than having enoigh money to get by.

I doubt they could make it outside Maine...their lifestyle would have to change drastically. Thats why many never give a thought to leaving.....or even travelling anywhere else.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:27 PM

6,625 posts, read 6,207,805 times
I think the 40 hour week and 8 hour day was mostly manufacturing. I never knew anyone in white collar jobs that had that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History