Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 06:47 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,659,374 times

Advertisements

Climate has got to be a big one. When half of the year you are snowed in, there is much, much less exposure for all species to swap microbes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 06:47 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,858,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
On another forum it was discussed that mating with chimpanzees likely played a role as well which is just disgusting to me.
Now I know that you're troll! Do you really think that a chimp will allow a man to penetrate it? Let's play the stereotype game, shall we. Isn't the Black man too large to penetrate an ape?

Bestiality is a European perversion! Choking chickens, fornicating with horses, pigs and sheep are behaviors of Europeans. I've heard that Fido has free rein in the household you White folk, including your beds!

I know that you all like to think of yourselves a benevolent. However, history does not bear this out. You all have a long history of destroying species. You all have wiped out more species of plant, animal, and people than one can shake a stick at. Yes indeed! You've wiped out so called Indians and the Tasmanians. Your wars have killed more people than any disease has. Your filth almost led to the demise of the Europeans. I'm referring to the Bubonic Plague. Read Terence McLaughlin's DIRT A Social History as Seen Through the Uses and Abuses of Dirt.

AIDS and Ebola are nothing more than your attempts to decrease and control the numbers of Africans on the planet. Those deadly diseases are manufactured to control populations. Learn the history of Planned Parenthood. Lessons that the Nazis adopted for their use.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:23 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Yes, I remember reading about that. Also Typhoid? Diseases that we don't see in the USA anymore.

Adding, Dysentery. Don't know the origin but another condition we don't hear about, I suppose due to a better infrastructure.
Typhoid is a salmonella bacterium. There are salmonella outbreaks all the time. Some of them are as bad as typhoid.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:33 AM

1,875 posts, read 1,327,208 times
for everyone screaming its the "climate" you do realize that Africa has THE largest desert and South America has THE largest rainforest...

LOL.... yeah.. its the climate..

Old 10-18-2014, 11:21 AM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Oh, and re malaria:

Many of our "pioneer" ancestors suffered from malaria during the westward migration period in America. I know that malaria was a common ailment in Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Iowa - and probably surrounding states that had swampy areas, too- during the 19th century. So, malaria didn't "originate" in Africa.

I just found this cool map: CDC - Malaria - About Malaria - History - Elimination of Malaria in the United States (1947-1951) Oh, wow! It says on that site that the CDC itself had its origins in the effort to eradicate malaria in the United States after WWII. So interesting!
That's probably because our soldiers brought it home from the war with them. My father, a life-long Minnesotan, but also a survivor of the Pacific Theater, suffered sporadic malarial fevers after the war.

The southern area of the US would be a good climate for its vector, the mosquito, to thrive.

Wiki says malaria probably originated in Africa and the CDC suggests accounts of it earlier in Asia.

I had never heard of malaria among early Americans but I found this article in Wiki which describes its transmission from African slaves brought to the Southeast US from African into the general population.

Malaria[edit]

This disease is a parasite that is found in mosquitoes, which bred more rapidly as virgin soil was broken in the Carolina lowlands for rice cultivation.[SIZE=2][20][/SIZE] The parasite found the slaves as a reservoir for the infection of the mosquito.[SIZE=2][20][/SIZE] The mosquito then transmitted the parasite to other slaves and the white population, causing rapid development of highly malarious communities.[SIZE=2][21][/SIZE] The disease spread from Maryland to Georgia, Alabama, and Florida, inland to Ohio and Missouri, and down the Gulf of Mexico.[SIZE=2][21][/SIZE] As a result from this rapid spread, Malaria became established in Colonial America.

Old 10-18-2014, 12:07 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,579,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
Did that really occur, sure maybe a weirdo or two, but I doubt it was widespread.
Coming from Africans I wouldn't be surprised if it's a daily occurrence.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:30 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,535,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
Now I know that you're troll! Do you really think that a chimp will allow a man to penetrate it? Let's play the stereotype game, shall we. Isn't the Black man too large to penetrate an ape?

Bestiality is a European perversion! Choking chickens, fornicating with horses, pigs and sheep are behaviors of Europeans. I've heard that Fido has free rein in the household you White folk, including your beds!

I know that you all like to think of yourselves a benevolent. However, history does not bear this out. You all have a long history of destroying species. You all have wiped out more species of plant, animal, and people than one can shake a stick at. Yes indeed! You've wiped out so called Indians and the Tasmanians. Your wars have killed more people than any disease has. Your filth almost led to the demise of the Europeans. I'm referring to the Bubonic Plague. Read Terence McLaughlin's DIRT A Social History as Seen Through the Uses and Abuses of Dirt.

AIDS and Ebola are nothing more than your attempts to decrease and control the numbers of Africans on the planet. Those deadly diseases are manufactured to control populations. Learn the history of Planned Parenthood. Lessons that the Nazis adopted for their use.
What the??? You're not doing yourself any favors.

Old 10-18-2014, 03:22 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
Seriously? And I mean...Seriously?

By the way, Margaret Sanger's used the then popular call for eugenics as a smoke screen for her real objective, giving women to power to explore/enjoy their own sexuality freed from the constraints of Victorian morality. And even the "eugenics" argument ignores the fact that women in developing countries UNDERSTOOD that being baby mills did acted as forces for increased poverty and depravation.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:48 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Good posts. IIRC, a few virulent strains of influenza may have originated in Asia. By "originated" I mean its where they "made the jump" from porcine and avian populations to humans.
That's correct. I read a really interesting article on viruses back in the mid-90s in National Geographic, right after the Ebola outbreak then. One thing I remember is that viruses have eight genes and they keep mixing and matching with other viruses that they meet up with to form brandy new viruses.

Further, viruses that live in pigs and ducks are transmittable to humans, and in South China, people primarily raise for meat...pigs and ducks. And keep them in pens underneath their stilted houses. So, every year, all these viruses get to meet up and make new baby viruses, and eventually they spread from South China to everywhere else. It's not the only reason or the only place that viruses breed, but it's a common one. And the people there do get sick every year and they think it's normal.

The article also addressed AIDS and Ebola and their origins of jumping species from other animals. The author said that as we move further into jungles and rain forests that were previously uninhabited in Africa and South America, we can expect to encounter new viruses possibly being hosted by rats or other animals that live in those places that humans haven't been exposed to before.

Another virus story I remember from right here in the US was one that took place somewhere out west. People were getting very sick from a virus that was spreading through the area. Some of the elders from the nearby indigenous tribe said that they'd seen the sickness before and that it happens in the years when a certain type of nut trees were doing well and the nut harvest was plentiful. Well, obviously nuts have nothing to do with viruses, but what was eating the nuts did. The virus, it turned out, was being carried by a type of mouse that ate those nuts. Plentiful nuts, more mice, bigger virus outbreak.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:43 PM

23 posts, read 40,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Not at all in terms of Africa being a source of diseases.

Just off the top of my head post-insomnia....so pardon me if not detailed as per custom.

The classic example is Malaria, quite an issue in Rome of the Republic and Empire. The marshes were breeding grounds for the mosquitos. Hence the term mal-aria, bad air, as it was thought to be from the foul smelling air of the marshes.

Yellow Fever, Vomito Negro or Black Vomit originated in Central America and the Caribbean.

Smallpox and Typhus outbreaks originated in both North America and Europe.

Cholera has both Asian and Europe roots.
and let's not forget about SARS in Asia. Africa is a hot, humid and populous place. It is also teeming with all sorts of wildlife and insects, particularly mosquitoes who help spread blood-borne pathogens

Last edited by citygray; 10-18-2014 at 07:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History