Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 03:12 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
Both Carnegie and Rockefeller was real asses, but with no income tax C. libraries had a lot to do with the need for functional literacy in his slave work force. R. wasn't much better; tipped a dime, I believe?? Having said that, they at least put their stolen money to work.

These gentlemen may have been asses, but they were truly innovative in their development of oil and steel industries. They didn't "steal" anything, they just used the tough business tactics that all businesspeople used back in their days.

People quit working for Carnegie and Rockefeller all of the time, they weren't "slaves". My own grandfather quit the steel biz to start farming.

Men on a steel mill labor gang didn't have to be literate in order to be successful. In any event, Carnegie put many of his libraries far away from any of his factories and did much of his philanthropy after his retirement from the steel industry in 1901.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:23 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
Both Carnegie and Rockefeller was real asses, but with no income tax C. libraries had a lot to do with the need for functional literacy in his slave work force. R. wasn't much better; tipped a dime, I believe?? Having said that, they at least put their stolen money to work.

Homesteading was about to open up. Grandfather spent his early life in Boston and New York and the last of his life in the bush. I'm beginning to understand why. Watch "Gangs of New York"; it wasn't much beyond to truth of life in the big city.

Sympathy,help, jobs, and connection was largely class, church, and language based, not merit.
Hey, are we on the way back to that???
Carnegie spent the last years of his life giving his money away, because he came to the conclusion that it was obscene for anyone to be that rich. He made a fortune in the railroad industry, but then became one of the pioneers of philanthropy.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:58 PM

553 posts, read 595,795 times
Quote:

Homesteading was about to open up. Grandfather spent his early life in Boston and New York and the last of his life in the bush. I'm beginning to understand why. Watch "Gangs of New York"; it wasn't much beyond to truth of life in the big city.

Sympathy,help, jobs, and connection was largely class, church, and language based, not merit.
Hey, are we on the way back to that???
Carnegie had several libraries out here, but as far as I know he had no businesses out here.

Stolen money? Please explain how they stole their money. Didn't they produce something other people wanted at a price they were willing to pay? How is that stealing? You wouldn't happen to be a bit bitter and prejudiced, would you?

Tipped a dime? Wasn't that was worth about $10-$15 in today's money?

Homesteading opened up in the 1860s. By the time we're discussing most of the good land had been taken and homesteading was--for practical purposes--closer to closing up. Homesteading remained open (might even still be open today) but by the mid-1880s the good land had all been pretty well taken.

Don't know what you studied in place of History son, but there was very little accuracy in it. I would suggest you read a few actual History books. I would suggest anything printed before 1970.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:15 PM

734 posts, read 1,636,288 times
My grandmother came over from Germany in the late 1800's with her family and she and her sisters were kind of farmed out as domestic help to other families. I have the postcards they sent to each other and it is heartbreaking to read of the loneliness and sadness of not being with their families.
They were just young teens. There were some good times, though, later on, with the greetings sent from Coney Island and the beaches. My grandfather came over from Ireland and he died in the early 1950's from an allergy to penicillin. It was, as I have been told, a new drug and hailed as a miracle. Well, not for him. It killed him.
I have quite a collection of post cards from my grandmother and some of the humorous ones are so racist it is actually shocking but also hysterical to see the thinking back then.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:14 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osric View Post
It's worth watching the PBS series 1900 House if you can find it. It gives a great contrast into a lot of daily things we take for granted today - heat, cooking, laundry, transport, even shampoo!

The 1900 House - Home
I wish more people would make the effort to understand these things.

My grandmother, born 1904, would go down to the farmer, pick out a chicken, he'd kill it and hand it to her, and she'd come home, pluck it and prepare it. That took the better part of the morning. It took all morning just to do laundry on Tuesday and ironing on Wednesday.

And people wonder WHY women took care of the house? SOMEBODY HAD TO! I guess now they just expect it to all get done by magic and have the kids raise themselves.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:27 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,213,290 times
Default What made America great

but is never spoken of?

Cheap child labor http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_labor...
Timeline of young people's rights in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and the new immigrants.
Attached Thumbnails
What was life in the 1890s like.-2014-10-27_22-25-26.jpg  

Old 10-27-2014, 09:57 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,292,219 times
My great-grandmother was born in the 1880s in a farming community in the Pacific Northwest. As a schoolgirl she played baseball with boys and girls (Dutchmen v. Irishmen). Boys went swimming in the creeks, but girls weren't allowed to swim because the boys swam naked. Schoolchildren memorized "pieces" and recited them for parents and community - this was a big social event. They also had spelling bees and ciphering contests.

The kids liked knocking over the school outhouses and playing tricks on the teacher.

Once she was done at the local school (grade 8?) she spent most of her time working on the family farm - milking cows, making cheese, tending chickens, etc. There were community dances, usually held in a barn.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:31 PM

2,530 posts, read 1,862,895 times
It was dull and boring. There were no TVs, no computers, no Facebook, no smart phones, no cars, nada. People woke up at the crack of dawn, worked on the farms, then after eating dinner, sat in chairs and stared at each other, saying nothing.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:33 PM

211 posts, read 301,851 times
Read "Time and Again" by Jack Finney. Amazon.com: Time and Again (Time series Book 1) eBook: Jack Finney: Kindle Store

Old 10-28-2014, 12:07 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
In the 1890s, the railroads had already created major change, but now the trolleys and electric railroads were starting and beginning to create the first suburbs (which created more money for the trolley companies and allowed those who worked in cities to have some of the peace of the country). The trolleys also did away with horse dung in the street and flies and saved transportation. The numbers of horses in close quarters in cities had created an epidemic of horse deaths. Boston was particularly hard hit.

What many don't realize is that rail transportation was MUCH faster then than after WWII, with a few routes excepted. The Columbian Exposition in Chicago was a major event with electric lighting and many innovations.

The two giant culture changers had not yet made the scene - radio and tv were the first entertainments that took people indoors and isolated them into a passive role, completely changing social dynamics. Prior to that, people were outside and socializing MUCH more than today. Neighbors took a keen interest in other neighbors. Mail was more like email. Some places had five deliveries of mail per day and people wrote incessantly.

Vaudeville, stage plays, and concerts were more common and there were Chautauqua talks etc. Schools were not state or Federally influenced but funded locally and often small.

Work in factories was a mixed bag. It allowed young women with almost no prospects to get off the farms and into a protected (paternalistic) environment where they could help support their families. The work was long hours and time was very structured though. There were waves of migrations to the west fueled in part by the land granted to railroads in return for building the transcontinental line.

There was much more than this going on, the beginning of the Belle Epoch, changes from cast iron to steel, the development of the modern fiction novels, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History