Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 10:54 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Jugashvili and Schicklgruber basically came out of nowhere as well, to become known as Stalin and Hitler.
Obama?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 02:53 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
The greatest badass, at least in Napoleon's day, was Ludwig van Beethoven. Beethoven was an appalling tough guy, short, ugly, and repulsive to the many women he chased, who wrote the greatest music ever created. He never hurt a fly.

Napoleon killed who knows how many hundreds of thousands in pursuit of a pro-Communist dream, a world ruled by reason. He was the Hitler of an earlier era.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:58 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
The worst was Mao, followed closely by Stalin. Hitler was a distant third.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:57 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,075,180 times
I like how people talk crap about dead leaders, like if you would have br a bete military leader without the knowledge of the future

Old 10-30-2014, 05:06 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
I like how people talk crap about dead leaders, like if you would have br a bete military leader without the knowledge of the future
huh?
This is the history forum. We talk about, yeah you guessed it - historical leaders*, they are, ummm, usually dead.

(* - that's when others don't talk about the ever popular subject of "what was life like in 2010 compared to 2014")

Old 10-31-2014, 09:41 AM

543 posts, read 943,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
The greatest badass, at least in Napoleon's day, was Ludwig van Beethoven. Beethoven was an appalling tough guy, short, ugly, and repulsive to the many women he chased, who wrote the greatest music ever created. He never hurt a fly.

Napoleon killed who knows how many hundreds of thousands in pursuit of a pro-Communist dream, a world ruled by reason. He was the Hitler of an earlier era.
Wow. Thanks for that dude. And to the point.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:44 AM

543 posts, read 943,695 times
But credit where it's due: he is an incredibly fascinating subject. Perhaps because he was sort of the good/bad aspects of humanity rolled into one. The greatest rags to riches story and the myth it created. Stanley Kubrick would have made the greatest movie ever had he filmed his Napoleon. The script itself is incredible and the production details are very detailed and fascinating. Just google it.

And I like this thread on this subject. Similar responses:
TIL Napoleon Bonaparte's favorite lieutenant, Marshal Michel Ney, was granted permission at his execution to order the firing squad to fire. Ney told his men, "Wait for the order. It will be my last to you." : todayilearned

Old 10-31-2014, 11:35 AM

19,036 posts, read 27,599,679 times
badass
The epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does, whether it's ordering a drink, buying a set of wheels, or dealing with women. He's slow to anger, brutally efficient when fighting back.

The badass carves his own path. He wears, drives, drinks, watches, and listens to what he chooses, when he chooses, where he chooses, uninfluenced by fads or advertising campaigns. Badass style is understated but instantly recognizable. Like a chopped Harley or a good pair of sunglasses: simple, direct, and functional.

He is a badass.
Urban Dictionary: badass

In this respect, Alexander the Great is much more of BA than anyone else, you know. I do not recall Mr N wielding a sword or charging mano a mano in the battlefield. Same time conquering much more of real estate.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:03 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,230,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
I mean Alexander and Ceaser came from royalty or had connections. Napoleon literally came out of nowhere to rule the entire continent for the most part. Had Russia not happened who knows what he'd have accomplished.
Who else compares....Gengis khan?
I think those Hutu's in Rwanda were exponentially worse. They killed roughly 800,000 Tutsi's in 90 days....mostly by hand with machetes...roughly 1 killed every 10 seconds for 90 days straight....I'd say that makes Napoleon look sophomoric when it comes to killing.

1 every 10 seconds.....90 days straight....mostly by hand......ouch....have no idea how many were simply wounded.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:34 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
But credit where it's due: he is an incredibly fascinating subject. Perhaps because he was sort of the good/bad aspects of humanity rolled into one. The greatest rags to riches story and the myth it created. Stanley Kubrick would have made the greatest movie ever had he filmed his Napoleon. The script itself is incredible and the production details are very detailed and fascinating. Just google it.
Interesting, I didn't know this. The problem with a movie on his life is it would have to have been to long and involving to cover in one movie. I saw a French produced mini-series recently on his life but it was only fair and the battle scenes, because it didn't have the budget of a major motion picture, where kind of lame. Some shows on his life just focus on his relationship with Josephine and turn it into a soap opera - double-lame, and boring. Now I looked up a link on your topic and it said Speilberg is intended to create a mini-series based off of Kubricks screenplay. That may be cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History