Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 12:18 PM

16,067 posts, read 10,720,044 times

Advertisements

My daughter only had one real history teacher in middle school or high school...the rest were PE coaches (football, baseball) who had no interest in teaching the class. With that kind of teaching it's no wonder we have people who are clueless on history.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:11 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,707,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
For examples of the dumbing down of America, take a look at these clips from Watters World. The show's producers insist that they do not edit the interviews to only present the stupidest responses. If that is so, then heaven help our nation if young people like this are our future leaders. Many of the interviews take place on college campuses, where supposedly the persons are more informed and are brighter than average. More clips from Watters World online for those searching for more, just a few here.
Watters' World | Fox News Insider
Saying it doesn't make it so. I take these things with a grain of salt.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:06 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,040,180 times
I think it is up to parents to fill in the gaps or at our house the teachers fills in the gaps we don't get to at home. We encouraged our 12 year old girls to watch The Roosevelt's on PBS recently. Of course they didn't watch it all but I think it is important they at least could identify Teddy, FDR and Eleanor from pictures and know what each one is famous for. There are some terrific books for younger people on historical figures.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:25 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,421,728 times
I don't memorize historical facts personally because its too easy to "google" them when I need them. With instant access to data its less crucial to memorize dates and names. Just like when writing was invented it became less important to memorize everything. Its more important to me to learn physics and accounting than the exact date Henry the 8th died and what his last meal was.

Old 11-07-2014, 01:41 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,715,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
The same thought crossed my mind at first, then I realized she meant the American Revolution.

Ok, but for Texas, there is the small issue of Mexico. Texans celebrate March 2 as the day Texans (a few of them) signed their own declaration of independence from Mexico in 1836.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:01 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,916,974 times
My kids are already Grandparents so a History of past for now is NILL.

One thing I wonder when thinking back was the Useless name of the middle school they attended...some lady that no one current at the time would know let alone remember.....sort of a waste since a current living person at the time would have been more recognizable...and I don't mean the Presiding President of the school district...heaven forbid.

I go back to the 1930 time period and what was pushed at me then and ask me some questions about the period and I'm speechless.....same could be said of the poor kids of today if you were to think about it.

Do think that more emphasize should be stressed from the last 100 yrs forward up to today...more current as tomorrows HISTORY.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:29 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
One thing I wonder when thinking back was the Useless name of the middle school they attended...some lady that no one current at the time would know let alone remember.....sort of a waste since a current living person at the time would have been more recognizable...
Most schools, businesses, highways, etc are named after deceased people because of the scandal factor. It's expensive to change signs, maps, etc when some dude or dudette is arrested for fraud, embezzlement, arson, etc and their namesake school is forever linked to the "bad" person.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:39 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,102,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Most schools, businesses, highways, etc are named after deceased people because of the scandal factor. It's expensive to change signs, maps, etc when some dude or dudette is arrested for fraud, embezzlement, arson, etc and their namesake school is forever linked to the "bad" person.
There was a hospital in Houston which had named a sports medicine clinic after Roger Clemens, but when the PEDs hit the fan they changed the name to something functional, no mention of the Rocket. They made an announcement that the change had nothing to do with Roger's public embarrassments, rather it was done "to better reflect its commitment to all sports and athletes."

Yeah, right. Nothing to do with Clemens fall from grace.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:46 PM

11,155 posts, read 7,948,237 times
I know who the VP is..... but I am trying to forget it.

Old 11-07-2014, 04:21 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,454,698 times
It's the same everywhere. Since history is not a practical subject, aimed at find a job, most students remain uneducated.
In the past, high education equalled to general knowledge: history, geography, literature, languages, art. These days a school is valued by the number of computers and online courses.
Bottom line- it's not about students as much as our society changing values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.