Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 10:06 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,614,742 times

Advertisements

From the looks of it, Mr. Ribbe, as a writer sure puts his interpretation on the Napoleonic facts as he sees it. He's like a lawyer making a case. Intellectually and morally I can see where he's coming from but something tells me he would have been better to perhaps plumb the depths of that society which gave rise to Napoleon and argued why was he given so much free reign to give life to his dreams which did entail alot of carnage. Perhaps even linking it up with what can conceivably be happening in our day. And I'd think that that takes real historical rigor and analysis. Really what we can't get away from is that I think the writer is writing a piece which argues that the the Allies were right on in destroying Napoleon. They had to because he was a really a despicable individual and madman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 10:49 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
From the looks of it, Mr. Ribbe, as a writer sure puts his interpretation on the Napoleonic facts as he sees it. He's like a lawyer making a case. Intellectually and morally I can see where he's coming from but something tells me he would have been better to perhaps plumb the depths of that society which gave rise to Napoleon and argued why was he given so much free reign to give life to his dreams which did entail alot of carnage. Perhaps even linking it up with what can conceivably be happening in our day. And I'd think that that takes real historical rigor and analysis. Really what we can't get away from is that I think the writer is writing a piece which argues that the the Allies were right on in destroying Napoleon. They had to because he was a really a despicable individual and madman.
I don't think that his intention was to support the need to destroy Napolean's regime. The case in history is already successfully and undisputably made I think, simply by seeing that Napoleon would never be content with a France at peace with the world. It would be nice if he could have investigated what caused the rise of Napoleon, but that was never the writers intent, and such subjects would be beyond him.

I think this writer is more on a pop-kick trend of calling and comparing everyone in history "Hitler", purely for it's emotional impact. It's almost becoming a stereotype - Christopher Columbus is "Hitler", George Washington is "Hitler", Abraham Lincoln is "Hitler". I bet we can find a good handful of articles claiming such on the internet from self-proclaimed historians. And of course it's also reaching the current events political realm, we've all seen it - GW Bush is "Hitler", so is Obama. It just depends if you are talking to the nutcases on the extreme right, or the left. Go to the P&C forum here and you will see a post a day claiming the above to be facts.
Sadly, the result is a simplification of history and effectively diminishes the horrors of the atrocities committed during the Nazi regime. Using "Hitler" almost a verb, a description, not a name. Clearly, no one is "Hitler" except Hitler, and those using the term of Hitler to describe a current or past figure understand neither. So we can dismiss this article.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:14 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
The article is rubbish. The entire account of French actions in Haiti relating to "gas ships" and other large scale atrocities are completely false. The claims are pushed by a couple of fringe revisionist historians and are generally only parrotted on sites like Stormfront. I have never seen a single legitimate historian make any of the statements or claims about actions in Haiti under Napoleon's rule.

The rest of the statements are well known incidents that happened and aren't exactly outside of the norms for late 18th and early 19th century warfare.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:32 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times
yeah, it's crap.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:54 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post

And shouldn't Clinton, Bush, Obama et all should also be considered misanthropic killers?
Only by those who choose to let the over-sheltered, self-appoionted elite lead them around by the nose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History