Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 11:28 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,226,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
By distant past I mean in Antiquity and Medieval days. Obviously there was no such thing as PTSD known back then, but for a King/Emperor that commanded large Armies how likely do you think PTSD would've effected them and thus their fighting ability? Now we have a more or less controlled way of fighting and we use guns but back in the days where guys had to actually get up close and personal stabbing guys and hacking off limbs wouldn't it be fair to say it was just as much, if not more of an issue?
Mental casualties are a part of the mix. I do think that perhaps they may be stretching it too far. I've met a young girl that was fit as a fiddle, 20 years old, served two years in the Army and allegedly suffers from PTSD....please....she probably worked in the chow hall.

It's becoming a drain and the ones who really need the help (quadraplegics, truly and permanenty injured veterans) are going to be competing for shrinking dollars. This commercial for wounded warriors with the obviously physically healthy ones marching down the street dissuades from the most important needs.

Tough love, and this won't win favor with most but, take a hard, hard look at it. Plenty of WWII veterans came home and went on despite some of the most horrific combat injuries ever seen. Probably wasn't right and no doubt they had exponentially more affected. It seems like everyone on TV is a "wounded warrior"....considering 10-20% of those that serve actually SEE combat it makes one question the validity of every claim. It has to be easier at this point as anyone that criticizes is quickly silenced.

I'm a vet of peacetime and about the only adverse affects I "suffered" were from bad beer and food during Carter's administration. You "owe" me nothing. Give them help, sure. Just make damn sure it's going to the core cases and not this young 20 year old out of the Army fit as a fiddle. That's all I am saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 08:15 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,614,383 times
As an aside last night I saw a news piece focused on individuals who wear the accoutrements of a soldier but yet did not serve at all. It was complete impersonation. A sharp Ranger noticed this on on an individual who tried with great conviction to say he was a Ranger after being asked questions but who gave himself away by not even knowing how to dress himself as one. Something else to add to soldiers' life today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History