Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 08:28 AM

240 posts, read 239,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I recently saw yet another silly and unrealistic WWII film, this one involving tankers and rhyming with the word 'Missouri', and more than once in this film the Germans were referred to as "Nazis". And I've wondered for some time, how often did Allied forces refer to the Germans by the dominant political faction in Germany known colloquially as "Nazis"? Even at the time I'd probably think it a little odd, since it would be the equivalent of the Axis referring to American soldiers, since FDR was in power at the time the U.S. entered WWII, as Democrats, would it not?
During the war , they were nazis, I dont think its inappropriate in that context, however to refer to it now is ignorant and hateful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 01:08 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
You can still listen to the radio broadcasts from those times at archive.org or many other OTR sites. My SO writes about OTR so I quite often hear the programs. Today is the anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor and the OTR for today is very interesting.

Yes, the Germans were often referred to as Nazis during the war.

Old 12-07-2014, 02:31 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
I would thank Krauts or German is most often used based on the several dozen memories I have read about the ETO.

Old 12-07-2014, 04:58 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Most I knew at time called them that but more often Krauts. When they wanted to refer to other than just military they called them Nazi's .I well remember the distain for anything German in veterans. Heck; anything European; really.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:14 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,134,390 times
Quote:
I recently saw yet another silly and unrealistic WWII film, this one involving tankers and rhyming with the word 'Missouri', and more than once in this film the Germans were referred to as "Nazis". And I've wondered for some time, how often did Allied forces refer to the Germans by the dominant political faction in Germany known colloquially as "Nazis"? Even at the time I'd probably think it a little odd, since it would be the equivalent of the Axis referring to American soldiers, since FDR was in power at the time the U.S. entered WWII, as Democrats, would it not?
Movies, even movies based on true stories have large portions of the material written for entertainment purposes. That said, I watched Fury the other day and it was extremely entertaining... The Germans, rightfully so, were referred to as Nazis as they should be...

Old 12-08-2014, 01:39 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Its a movie, the tank ambush did not bother me much, the final battle the SS infantry however did seem to act stupidly. In training with a laser which did not give points for greater armored protection in a M60 tank against armored vehicles which could run circles around me I have been in the die in place position that the German Tiger was in.

A well trained crew would have taken out Fury first, it was the lead tank and tank platoon leaders are almost always in that tank and it had the most capable 76mm gun as the others were 75mm Shermans. However once the rest of the platoon was destroyed Fury's radio was the most dangerous adversary he faced. The German did not have perfect knowledge, he did not know if another platoon was coming with his position now exposed or if US artillery fire or a P-47 fighter was then coming to take him out. And Fury could shadow him like the destroyers following Bismark until the big guns arrived. Fury had to go, as soon as possible so he could move to his next fighting position. It is easier said to keep your heavy armor pointed then done. In the motor pool neutral steer and pivot demonstrations are fun in the field it is a good way to throw a track, just as deadly as the mine Fury hit.

Now the SS infantry finale, you can only assume a larger unit needed the road for the attack on the lightly protected US flank. However as we saw taking out Fury was eventually as easy as having a sniper taking out the observer and going around the back, especially at night before infrared, starlight or thermal sights existed.

The ambush were the Hitler youth knocked out the Lieutenant, the platoon rescuing the infantry caught in the open at the tree line and the urban attack didn't bother me much at all.
What about the part where a German opened up the commander's hatch a dropped in a few grenades, as if the hatch didn't have a locking mechanism to prevent just that sort of thing? I guess not many people learned from all the criticism people gave Saving Private Ryan for showing the same thing happen to a Tiger.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:24 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
It seems in the newsreels of the period the term Nazi was used.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:55 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Quote:
What about the part where a German opened up the commander's hatch a dropped in a few grenades, as if the hatch didn't have a locking mechanism to prevent just that sort of thing? I guess not many people learned from all the criticism people gave Saving Private Ryan for showing the same thing happen to a Tiger.
The lock isn't to keep infantry out as much as it is to keep the hatch from bouncing. If someone is on top of your tank he can place a shaped charge our termite grenade on the top armor anyway if any engineers are around. The pull the hatch scene is in just about any movie where our hero faces an armored vehicle. He will either do drop the grenade down the commander's hatch or scoot underneath a tank, avoid the tracks and place a mine on its belly. I don't know the design of a Sherman hatch and if it is spring loaded but in general because you need to get your head out to see and not depend upon the obscured view of vision blocks you can get lazy and not batten down the hatch.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:34 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
That movie was set after the Battle of the Bulge. I remember our honorary Colonel, Colonel Leach who was the 37th Tank Battalion S4 told us the no Waffen SS were taken as prisoners after Malmedy. I don't remember any stories told about the regular army or paratroopers.
I think it was the First Battalion of US troops who were taken prisoner by an SS unit. They were executed and left where they fell. After they were found if it was legal or not, SS units were paid back. In addition to this the first of the camps had been found and while the military side did not necessarily work there, they were SS. In some of the camps soldiers would give a prisoner their gun and give them time to eliminate the guards hiding as prisoners. Nobody 'heard' the shots. Then they brought back the rifle.

These men had seen horrible things, but nothing as awful as the concentration camps.

I reccomend this book.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/055...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 12-11-2014, 02:33 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I think it was the First Battalion of US troops who were taken prisoner by an SS unit. They were executed and left where they fell.
Was that after the murder of Dresden's civilian population?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History