Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 04:35 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,110,742 times

Advertisements

......If you were about 9 or 10 years old when the U.S. got into WWII , I think you would really enjoy reading "KILLING PATTON".
I'm in my 83rd year and have always been quite interested in many of the details of our involvment in the battles in the many countries that Germany had taken over. This book is not just about PATTON.....it details many aspects of the war in Europe and "The-Road-to Berlin" that I have not found in other "non-fiction" accounts.

...."A Very Good Read"................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 04:55 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
Default ............."KILLING PATTON".....An Excellent Read!

I just finished reading "Killing Patton" and found it to be one of those books that you just find it very difficult to put down!............It is the best "non-fiction" account of our involvement in that portion of WWII that I have read. It is not just about Gen Patton.............but provides detailed information on many, many other aspects of the war in that portion of Europe (Germany and the many countries that they had taken over).
I highly recommend it......particularly if you "grew up" in that era and were approx (10) yrs old when we got into the War.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:42 PM

2 posts, read 2,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
I just finished reading "Killing Patton" and found it to be one of those books that you just find it very difficult to put down!............It is the best "non-fiction" account of our involvement in that portion of WWII that I have read. It is not just about Gen Patton.............but provides detailed information on many, many other aspects of the war in that portion of Europe (Germany and the many countries that they had taken over).
I highly recommend it......particularly if you "grew up" in that era and were approx (10) yrs old when we got into the War.
I cant speak for that book but highly advise this one which predates Bill's book. I suspect that Bill's book is a whitewashing of this one

Target Patton: The Plot to Assassinate General George S. Patton

[LIST][*]by[*] [URL="http://www.barnesandnoble.com/c/robert-k.-wilcox"]Robert K. Wilcox[/URL][/LIST]

Old 12-12-2014, 12:21 AM

Yes, there is a fair amount of space devoted to Mr. Bazata.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:53 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,568,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Yes, there is a fair amount of space devoted to Mr. Bazata.
that's good to hear. still, i wouldn't read anything by O'Reilly, err, I mean
Martin Dugard with Bill O'Reilly.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:11 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,603,316 times
All in all it sure looks to me that the probability of him getting bumped off was much much much higher than perhaps somebody taking him out to dinner for eats and few drinks and finally thanking him for helping to take the Reich down and the Nazis with it. The Allies won but they were alot of miserable people who still wanted the war to go on and give some payback.

Old 12-14-2014, 03:49 PM

34,773 posts, read 16,786,908 times
I saw the George C. Scott movie during the late 60's. I sure had the impression that the screenplay writers thought he was murdered.

Old 12-14-2014, 04:25 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,947,633 times
I am currently reading Killing Patton and learning some things I never knew since it's rarely talked about in movies or tv shows and not discussed in school.
Like it so far

Old 12-14-2014, 05:24 PM

353 posts, read 440,259 times
From the reviews I've read, many WW II scholars question the facts and conclusions drawn by O'Reilly. He's definitely in the minority on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History