Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 09:52 AM

274 posts, read 197,334 times

Advertisements

Yeah there was a show on him on the history channel last night, i can now say i have a new favorite president. He abolished the U.S Bank which i think was great, did tons of great things.Also was the only president ever to pay off the national debt!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 11:09 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromutt View Post
Yeah there was a show on him on the history channel last night, i can now say i have a new favorite president. He abolished the U.S Bank which i think was great, did tons of great things.Also was the only president ever to pay off the national debt!
He was also a hot head who killed one man in a duel and was shot by another man in a personal gunfight in a hotel. And where does Jackson ignoring the Supreme Court decision against the Indian Removal Act factor into your admiration? And since the Panic of '37 was exactly the sort of thing that the National Bank was designed to prevent/alleviate, why was Jackson abolishing the National Bank such a great thing in your mind? We may also consider that Jackson was the man who saddled the government with 50 years worth of crony incompetence by instituting the Spoils System for civil service positions. Merit? Who cares? Quaifications? Did you vote for Jackson and donate money to Democractic campaigns?

Old 01-18-2009, 11:20 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,848,653 times
Jackson is kind of undergoing a revival now. John Meacham (Newsweek magazine) has a book out on him (I'm second on the reserved list at my library) and a lot of other hype, some of which is probably generated by the PR firms for the book. Interesting guy.

One of the best although short pieces about Jackson is Sarah Vowell's ("Take The Cannoli", "Assassination Vacation", "The Wordy Shipmates") piece on him titled, "The Man On The Twenty Dollar Bill". Note, she's Native American.

golfgod

Old 01-18-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
He was also a hot head who killed one man in a duel and was shot by another man in a personal gunfight in a hotel. And where does Jackson ignoring the Supreme Court decision against the Indian Removal Act factor into your admiration? And since the Panic of '37 was exactly the sort of thing that the National Bank was designed to prevent/alleviate, why was Jackson abolishing the National Bank such a great thing in your mind? We may also consider that Jackson was the man who saddled the government with 50 years worth of crony incompetence by instituting the Spoils System for civil service positions. Merit? Who cares? Quaifications? Did you vote for Jackson and donate money to Democractic campaigns?

Duels were common back then so what? I am a hothead to nothing wrong with that.

He did was he thought was correct in removing indians to reservations. As we can see in history the supreme court has been wrong plenty of times. We need another president just like him, he was for the people and by the people,he was a true president not a pansy or a puppet like we have now.

By abolishing the U.S bank he made sure that no small group of people controlled the economy of the u.s. That is exactly what we have now with the federal reserve.

No i did not vote for him i was not born yet in fact my ancestors had not come to the u.s yet on my fathers side when he was president. But i am sure my mothers side did vote for him.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
Jackson is kind of undergoing a revival now. John Meacham (Newsweek magazine) has a book out on him (I'm second on the reserved list at my library) and a lot of other hype, some of which is probably generated by the PR firms for the book. Interesting guy.

One of the best although short pieces about Jackson is Sarah Vowell's ("Take The Cannoli", "Assassination Vacation", "The Wordy Shipmates") piece on him titled, "The Man On The Twenty Dollar Bill". Note, she's Native American.

golfgod

Can you recommend some good biographies or books on him? Something that is not biased watching that show last night they dragged out some indians claiming he was a terrorist and crap about concentration camps blah blah...etc.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromutt View Post
Duels were common back then so what? I am a hothead to nothing wrong with that.

He did was he thought was correct in removing indians to reservations. As we can see in history the supreme court has been wrong plenty of times. We need another president just like him, he was for the people and by the people,he was a true president not a pansy or a puppet like we have now.

By abolishing the U.S bank he made sure that no small group of people controlled the economy of the u.s. That is exactly what we have now with the federal reserve.

No i did not vote for him i was not born yet in fact my ancestors had not come to the u.s yet on my fathers side when he was president. But i am sure my mothers side did vote for him.
Saying that Jackson did what he thought was correct hardly addresses the moral problem of stealing people's land and forcing them from their homes. These were not savages you know, these were what were called "The Civilized Tribes." The Cherokees had schools, courts and newspapers. Would you also defend the Third Reich's treatment of Jews as "Hitler doing what he thought was right?"

And "The Supreme Court has been wrong plenty of times" is a rather dismal summation of the situation. Such "right" or "wrong" isn't an absolute question, it is an opinion. What is critical is that their judgments be respected because the alternative is somene behaving in an unlawful and unconstitutional manner, someone such as Jackson. Do you think that a modern day president could order all schools resegregated, ignoring the Supreme Court's Brown vs Board of Education decision...and all he would have to say is "Oh, you know that darn Supreme Court, it gets some of them wrong."

You strike me as someone who has learned part of the story and made all of your opinion decisions based on that. It now bothers you that the rest of the story is being told because that might mean that your original opinion was incorrect, based on partial command of the facts. So, your reaction is to casually dismiss the new information as though it was inconsequential.

That's bad.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:20 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Jackson treated the Indians no worse than most other presidents of the time and was simply doing what almost all Americans wanted done---the removal of Indians from land Americans wanted. I will not bumrap a president whose policies worked to my benefit.

Any non Indian modern Americans who don't agree with the Indian policies of Jackson and other 18th and 19th Century presidents are free to put their money where their mouth is and remove themselves to Europe or wherever the Hell their ancestors came from.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:09 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
I really enjoyed the program. I always wonder when I watch these if ANY of these guys would have ever been elected (or remain in office) if they had the media/public scrutiny of today.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Jackson treated the Indians no worse than most other presidents of the time and was simply doing what almost all Americans wanted done---the removal of Indians from land Americans wanted. I will not bumrap a president whose policies worked to my benefit.

Any non Indian modern Americans who don't agree with the Indian policies of Jackson and other 18th and 19th Century presidents are free to put their money where their mouth is and remove themselves to Europe or wherever the Hell their ancestors came from.
So then your philosophy might be summed as: "If I benefit from the crime, there was no crime."

Old 01-18-2009, 08:20 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
So then your philosophy might be summed as: "If I benefit from the crime, there was no crime."
So what's your attitude, "I know there was a crime but I'm gonna benefit from the crime but complain about it while doing so"? You want it both ways, you want the benefit of the crime while at the same time claiming the moral high ground by rapping the people who commited it.

C'mon Buster, if you think it was such a terrible crime make amends. Or just take the benefits of our forefather's actions and give them a little credit for your prosperity.

Unless you're an Indian, I can't make this argument with an Indian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History