Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 12:48 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,614,742 times

Advertisements

Re: 'If one day China takes over, the international language may as well be Chinese'

That will be interesting. Just wondering though if Chinese, as a language, has the capability of holding its own in that circumstance. For a language to say 'grow', it's grammar, syntax and word-making has to figure much in its development. We've already seen that English having its roots in say German and Norse has apparently succeeded in all that. Would Chinese be able to do it as well? Also, what about Russian? How would it do if Russia 'took over'??

One thing I'd figure would have to happen is that both the written and spoken language would perhaps have to be close and not to differ much. If it does that could pose problems in how the language moves through populations who of course have had their own 'experienced' language to deal with as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 03:30 PM

3,488 posts, read 6,507,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
For just about everyone else, learning a second language means learning English. Which means, while it was inelegantly put, Colonel Domo is correct. Americans don't need to learn a second language because we already speak English.
Americans should probably learn a second (or third) language if they plan in-depth travel in non-English-speaking countries. For example, although Spain is a First-World country, a large number of native-born Spaniards do not speak English. This is true even in major cities like Barcelona and Madrid; it is especially true in the smaller cities, towns and communities like Antequera, Ronda, etc.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:05 AM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
With all due respect ---- "Not just NO, but H*LL NO." Such a viewpoint falsely attributes powers/influence to what could only be described as thirteen disparate, poorly-funded, struggling colonies. At the time (1776) these colonies were more of a threat to each other than to anyone else in the World.

Historically speaking, and as far as I know, English became the de facto international language when the aviation/airline industry selected it as the common language to be used to communicate/control arrivals, departures, and enroute matters.

But hey, whadda I know? I'm just a slow-talkin' Alabama country-boy...

-- Nighteyes
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Correct. English as an international language evolved over time. That was the turning point.
Although I think there was some element of English as a common language earlier, the air travel issue was a big step. At least somebody thought it was kind of important for a pilot and an air traffic controller to be able to communicate with each other. Fortunately, an airplane flying from Brazil (where Portuguese is spoken) to Mexico (where Spanish is spoken) will land safely, partly because the pilot and the tower will speak in English.

As the Internet developed, it was first managed by the US government. Originally, it was built to facilitate communications among military installations, research institutions, and defense contractors (the .mil, ,edu, & .com top level domains). The language of the communication packet headers was English. Even though the Internet regulators (the ICANN - Internet Committee on Assigned Names and Numbers) is now independent, the English requirement on domain registrations remains.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:35 AM

3,488 posts, read 6,507,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
As the Internet developed, it was first managed by the US government. Originally, it was built to facilitate communications among military installations, research institutions, and defense contractors (the .mil, ,edu, & .com top level domains).
Ah-hem! I think you may have forgotten one. I'm pretty sure that .gov (government agency) was also one of the original top-level domains. As in DoD.gov or similar.

Old 02-04-2015, 04:53 AM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Ah-hem! I think you may have forgotten one. I'm pretty sure that .gov (government agency) was also one of the original top-level domains. As in DoD.gov or similar.
Oops! I'm blaming that oversight on a Senior Moment.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:13 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
How many of those countries have any influence on the world? Most of them are quite poor.

The entire population of rich Hong Kong, Canada, Australia and New Zealand is smaller than a Chinese or Japanese province, and the total GDP probably smaller than France or Germany, so who cares?

If your list didn't include the US, English wouldn't have anything close to its current status.
But the point is the list DOES include the US! ie the USA speaks English why exactly? Think about it and remember one other thing - the language is called ENGLISH for a reason!

Old 02-09-2015, 10:15 PM

723 posts, read 805,775 times
Quote:
BTW, French is next. I have stood side-by-side with French soldiers, for whom I hold the utmost regard. Now I want to learn how to speak with them in their own language.
The problem with the French is they have some smart talk to mock people who are not French, even if you speak their language better than them. That is one reason why French is losing ground.
Go ask some Senegalese, some Gipsies or some Roumanians.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:39 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,792,261 times
I'd say WW1 was when English started becoming the dominant and it was WW2 that set it in stone. English was already a very important language but French was still the #1 international language to learn pre-ww1. In WW1 the United States militarily went from worse than Romania to a grade A war machine that made millions off the war and France had a countryside to repare. French was still more important but English definitely started catching up with Britain not being directly attacked and America greatly benefiting from the war. Then of course WW2 happened, and France is utterly humiliated while America emerges as the greatest Western Power(with USSR the greatest Eastern Power). The United States beats the USSR in the Cold War --> America becomes the global leader in almost everything. The internet is born and from its inception has been completely dominated by the English language and no other language comes even close. 55% of all websites on the internet are in English, the next closest is cold war rival Russian with a whopping 6%...

Of course you can probably trace it back further than WW1.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:18 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
When a war ship pulls into your harbor, it would behoove you to learn the language of those on board.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:41 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,529,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
What we seem to forget is that America is a big place, relative to Europe. Of course people in Holland are multilingual--you can drive through Holland in less than two hours, and more prominent languages German, French and English are all spoken nearby. Holland is smaller than a good many American *counties*, let alone states.

The foreign language Americans are most likely to know at least a little of is Spanish, and again that is not an accident. Geography is destiny.
Exactly. I always feel a little irritated when people(usually other Americans) get self-righteous about Americans not knowing another language besides English or not having travelled to several different countries. We are lucky in a sense to not have to learn multiple languages due to the expansiveness of the Anglophonic world in North America. As far as travelling goes, the significant cost and 5+ hour travel time of a transatlantic flight from the east coast are luxuries not many people can afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History