Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 10:40 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,217,124 times

Advertisements

Equal Justice Initiative Marker/Memorial Project

It's time to face up to what was done in the past, not bury it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 10:46 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,855,989 times
Do you care also about the lynchings of sheep framers out West by cattleowners? How about how poorly Eastern and Southern European immigrants were treated? Of course there is also the Irish pre-1900. Then the Chinese? How about blue collar workers regardless of race attempting to unionize being shot while demonstrating by security forces contracted by their employers.

Do white folks murded by Nat Turner need a memorial?

Old 02-10-2015, 11:07 AM

As someone opposed to vigilante "justice", ie, lynching, yes I am. I think we Americans need to face the things that we did that were absolutely wrong. We need to realize that "the good old days" were not always so good for everybody ... or even for most people ... if you weren't the right race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, economic segment, etc.

I remember when just about nobody knew anything about Japanese Americans being rounded up and put into what were essentially concentration camps during WW II. When you don't know the bad as well as the good, you get a very warped vision of the past.

Feel free to post articles on other lynching victims.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:27 PM

888 posts, read 455,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Equal Justice Initiative Marker/Memorial Project

It's time to face up to what was done in the past, not bury it.
I think's appropriate to put up memorial markers for lynching victims (or whatever other type of historical recognition the community wants). The report cited by the article really details how the horrors of slavery didn't end with the 13th Amendment.

It's weird to go into small towns in the Deep South and see memorials to the Confederacy in the main square with nothing else there to suggest that everyone doesn't still love the Confederate States of America. I'm not saying there aren't memorials or plaques anywhere else in town that recognize the reality of slavery and/or Jim Crow, but the impression created for someone passing through many Southern towns is that the CSA and history associated with it are to be revered over other local and regional history. Memorials or plaques recognizing the typical African American experience are the exception.

Although I don't think the CSA memorials and statues of their war heroes should be thrown in the river, I do think they shouldn't have the last word. I'm all in favor of putting up memorials to the victims of lynchings and wouldn't mind seeing some of them in the same town squares with CSA memorials. Put those CSA memorials in their place... If a town erecting a CSA memorial was also holding public lynchings, some of which would be advertised in the newspaper, then let it be known.

It is interesting to note that many of the CSA memorials were built when lynchings were taken place. They weren't built right after the war because the communities couldn't afford it. The one in Milledgeville, the capitol of Georgia during the Civil War, wasn't erected until 50 years after the war. In South Carolina, after Abbeville's CSA memorial burnt down, they rebuilt it in the 1990s.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:32 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,516,738 times
i would prefer rather than you live in the past that you live in the present. how bout a memorial for jessica chambers that black squad burned to death in panola ms a few months ago? or are you interested in white racial violence only?
if that is the case yes you must go back and live in 1862 all the time.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:51 AM

12,111 posts, read 23,328,796 times
The motivation for Ms. Chamber's murder is unknown.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i would prefer rather than you live in the past that you live in the present. how bout a memorial for jessica chambers that black squad burned to death in panola ms a few months ago? or are you interested in white racial violence only?
if that is the case yes you must go back and live in 1862 all the time.
Read my response to Felix C.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
The motivation for Ms. Chamber's murder is unknown.
That she had recently left a battered women's shelter suggests that she had a relationship with someone who abused her. Women in abusive relationships frequently end up dead or "disappeared".

Old 02-11-2015, 09:06 AM

12,111 posts, read 23,328,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
That she had recently left a battered women's shelter suggests that she had a relationship with someone who abused her. Women in abusive relationships frequently end up dead or "disappeared".
I was references the fact that Huck is trying to make this a racial issue when no one knows whether it was or wasn't.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I was references the fact that Huck is trying to make this a racial issue when no one knows whether it was or wasn't.
Exactly. My point was only that it was much more likely to be whomever she was involved with than to be some racial killing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History