Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 01:44 PM

1,127 posts, read 5,009,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
What interested me was that the a few of the comments of the UK readers that followed seemed to greatly belittle the American contribution to Hitler's defeat.
Lol, I've had that discussion with a Brit or two in the past. They do have a few good points on that argument. One of the biggest is that they fought that war for a few years longer than we did. I have to say I was awed to see the many different countries who actually contributed men and supplies on D-Day and was definately surprised to see the amount of territory that Canada handled on that day. It made me realize that we truly were only one country in a myrad of other countries who contributed. I'm not trying to diminish what we contributed, (heck my Dad was there), I'm only saying that I don't think that we give enough credit to what other countries did over there.

When we were in England a woman tapped my Mom on her shoulder and asked her if we were American. Mom said yes, and the woman said, "thank you for coming to help during the war." Mom being from that generation, cried. I'd like to think that despite what others think of our politics today, they do remember kindnesses we've offered up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 01:51 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,231,007 times
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder
Quote:
What interested me was that the a few of the comments of the UK readers that followed seemed to greatly belittle the American contribution to Hitler's defeat.
Maybe the British are still mad about the movie U-571? In this movie the breaking of the Enigma code suddenly was done by the Americans. If I'm not mistaken this is a blatant lie and historically incorrect.

The thing is that the US military only funds movies or only offers their help when they have approved the movie script.
Obviously one should not be surprised that most Hollywood WWII movies become propaganda instead of historically correct.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:33 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
PS. Many thanks to the French and Dutch for caring for our soldiers and honoring our efforts during WWII. I hope I didn't offend you Dd714, it's just that I was so touched by what I saw in the Netherlands and in France that those people need to get all the credit they deserve and then some.
No offense of course and it's good to hear that. I've been to Europe many times, but of course the topic or the subject of the war has never come up in my conversations with the locals. I've heard an American can't go into a Normandy bar without someone buying him or her a drink however.

Oh and TrickyD - GIVE IT A REST..american propaganda, geezzz...

Old 01-10-2008, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dd714
Quote:
Oh and TrickyD - GIVE IT A REST..american propaganda, geezzz...
The thing is that the U-751 movie made it appear as if WWII was a little breeze on a normally shining day (actors are all beautiful and there is no realism to be found in the movie). It further made it look like as if America won WWII without any help from the occupied countries like Poland who actually cracked the Enigma code then gave it to the British. Without the cracking of the Enigma code WWII could have ended differently. Having deciphered the enemy's communication code gives you an obvious strategic edge.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:31 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
many years ago, I was traveling from my base in France to Holland on vacation...we stopped in Bastogne Belgium for lunch....when the waiter heard our American accent, he immediately took the menue away and replaced it with one where the prices were 50% off...

I asked him why.....his answer...."You are American, you liberated my country."
I said....."I was 4 years old when Belgium was liberated....."

His answer....."but maybe someone in your family was here....."

I agree....the French....The Belgiques and the Dutch have NOT forgotten and are gratefull.....
but that does not require them to be in agreement with our politics.....

Last edited by dynimagelv; 01-10-2008 at 03:43 PM..

Old 01-10-2008, 03:34 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
Tricky D, movies are not real, and you of all people know this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Dd714The thing is that the U-751 movie made it appear as if WWII was a little breeze on a normally shining day (actors are all beautiful and there is no realism to be found in the movie). It further made it look like as if America won WWII without any help from the occupied countries like Poland who actually cracked the Enigma code then gave it to the British. Without the cracking of the Enigma code WWII could have ended differently. Having deciphered the enemy's communication code gives you an obvious strategic edge.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:42 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
actually.....in nearly ALL movies, newsreels, newspapers, radio, [dont know bout TV cause didnt have it yet] of the time the reports were of the ALLIED advances....NOT of American advances......that kind indicates to me that we gave full credit to ALL of the allied nations that fought against the AXIS powers.....

Recent movies may differ cause ya GOTTA sell seats.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by ontheroad
Quote:
Kindtje, movies are not real, and you of all people know this.
True, but how many children and teenagers know this? I mean how many children emulate their movie or pop idol and try to be an original gangsta or stripper/singer?
And now we also have to deal with 'reality' TV which blurs the line between real and fake.

Originally Posted by dynimagelv
Quote:
Recent movies may differ cause ya GOTTA sell seats.
Yeah well I loathe this anything for the ratings mentality.

Last edited by Tricky D; 01-10-2008 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-10-2008, 04:22 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Tricky, again, you are getting off topic. I understand when a post gets to 8 or 9 pages the topic wanders off, but you are doing a diservice to the original poster and the original subject to try to turn it a page in.

I am very well aware of the history of the Enigma and the historical innacuracies of that movie. Start another topic thread if you want to talk about Ben Afflick movies...
Go to the top of this forum, or the movie forum, click on "New Thread" and start a post saying 'hey I am bothered by this Ben Afllick movie'.

Edit: ooops, sorry, it was Matthew Mconoughey in U571.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:48 PM

Yeah well the only reason I posted here is because the OP used my name.
Otherwise I probably wouldn't have bothered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History