Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 12:02 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times

Advertisements

this in the thread on japanese war crimes but it would have been way off topic;
I would like to thank The Dutch for maintaining this....students adopting a grave and placing flowers...I had the uniqu pleasure of reading a post from s Dutch student who was now the care taker of a soldiers grave from my home town..she wanted to find more info on him to complete his story.

Don't think many people are aware of this place Margarten...but I thank the Dutch people:

World War II Margraten Holland/Netherlands American Military Cemetery and Memorial @ 5 Star

American Battle Monuments Commission
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 12:10 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
Uh why use my handle?
I know we do this.
But there is also another side:
I'm sorry to say that youth-vandalism (even in cemeteries) is a big problem in our country.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Uh why use my handle?
I know we do this.
But there is also another side:
I'm sorry to say that youth-vandalism (even in cemeteries) is a big problem in our country.
because I was posting it to you

Old 01-10-2008, 12:15 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
That's refreshing. It's seems the Dutch (and the French) forget sometimes. It's refreshing some attempts are also made to remind the Dutch schoolchildren.
I read that the most pro-American part of Europe still remains Normandy even after all these years after D-day. They have a U.S. cemetary there as well. Something about the site of 1,000's of American crosses tends to remind people of the price we paid for their freedom.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
That's refreshing. It's seems the Dutch (and the French) forget sometimes. It's refreshing some attempts are also made to remind the Dutch schoolchildren.
I read that the most pro-American part of Europe still remains Normandy even after all these years after D-day. They have a U.S. cemetary there as well. Something about the site of 1,000's of American crosses tends to remind people of the price we paid for their freedom.
Amen to that...Freedom doesn't come free

Old 01-10-2008, 12:52 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post

The French do not forget. The invaluable contribution and the human sacrifices done on our beaches are remembered very well, on multiple occasions, it is taught in history in all schools and the French are very grateful for American and Allied intervention. There are wreaths laying services throughout France on various war sites ( Normandy and Brittany being the most prominent for obvious reasons) and some of the most popular war movies deal with American and Allied troops ( such as "the Longest Day") for example.

It doesn't mean that they necessarily have to agree with all American foreign policies though.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:19 PM

1,127 posts, read 5,009,746 times
Well, Moose kind of beat me to the answer for the, the French and Dutch sometimes forget, post. However, I'd like to piggy back a bit on Moose's post (hope Moose doesn't mind too much).

I was so blown away by the gratitude the French displayed on their Normandy coast. The entire coast was covered with flags from other countries. These people flew the flags of the countries that helped liberate their country fifty years later! There were Dutch flags, scads and scads of Canadian flags, British flags, and of course American flags. Honestly, from what I saw and experienced, the French spend a good deal of thought on what D-Day means to them. Their D-Day musum was very interesting; it gave me a real perspective on what a large scale the operation was, not to mention the huge scope of different countries that participated in the battles.

My brother in law is Dutch and as much as that war affected his country, they haven't forgotten the war at all. The country is full of bunkers built by the Germans sitting in the middle of their fields. Elco's grandparents sheltered Jewish children until they could be smuggled out of the country. The family has the little thank you pictures the kids drew displayed on the walls.

I've visited the Margraten Cemetary where Elco tells me that it is a privilage for a child to be assigned to a soldier. The program has been in place for a good while and Elco (and the other Dutch) are really proud of it. I wish the US had something like it in place.

PS. Many thanks to the French and Dutch for caring for our soldiers and honoring our efforts during WWII. I hope I didn't offend you Dd714, it's just that I was so touched by what I saw in the Netherlands and in France that those people need to get all the credit they deserve and then some.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:26 PM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
It doesn't mean that they necessarily have to agree with all American foreign policies though.
You are correct Moose.

Recently the Archbishop of Canterbury said some things about how US Policy was worse than the Nazis. Now he is entitled to his opinion. What interested me was that the a few of the comments of the UK readers that followed seemed to greatly belittle the American contribution to Hitler's defeat.

Is this what is taught in the UK? Is this your perception? I wasn't there, but it sure does look like there were an awful lot of American casualties considering the war was not fought on US soil.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
Well, Moose kind of beat me to the answer for the, the French and Dutch sometimes forget, post. However, I'd like to piggy back a bit on Moose's post (hope Moose doesn't mind too much).

I was so blown away by the gratitude the French displayed on their Normandy coast. The entire coast was covered with flags from other countries. These people flew the flags of the countries that helped liberate their country fifty years later! There were Dutch flags, scads and scads of Canadian flags, British flags, and of course American flags. Honestly, from what I saw and experienced, the French spend a good deal of thought on what D-Day means to them. Their D-Day musum was very interesting; it gave me a real perspective on what a large scale the operation was, not to mention the huge scope of different countries that participated in the battles.

My brother in law is Dutch and as much as that war affected his country, they haven't forgotten the war at all. The country is full of bunkers built by the Germans sitting in the middle of their fields. Elco's grandparents sheltered Jewish children until they could be smuggled out of the country. The family has the little thank you pictures the kids drew displayed on the walls.

I've visited the Margraten Cemetary where Elco tells me that it is a privilage for a child to be assigned to a soldier. The program has been in place for a good while and Elco (and the other Dutch) are really proud of it. I wish the US had something like it in place.

PS. Many thanks to the French and Dutch for caring for our soldiers and honoring our efforts during WWII.

Ditto....happy that some are aware of this

Old 01-10-2008, 01:38 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
I also will say the Dutch have forgotten little either, and while Western European countries today may not fully agree or join in US policies, the Netherlands has a long memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
The French do not forget. The invaluable contribution and the human sacrifices done on our beaches are remembered very well, on multiple occasions, it is taught in history in all schools and the French are very grateful for American and Allied intervention. There are wreaths laying services throughout France on various war sites ( Normandy and Brittany being the most prominent for obvious reasons) and some of the most popular war movies deal with American and Allied troops ( such as "the Longest Day") for example.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History