Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 01:19 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times

Advertisements

I was watching a bit of the film Master and Commander this evening, and at one point, the ship's doctor refers to Russel Crow's ship as a Man o' War. Here's a brief description of the ship used in the film, photo included:

HMS Surprise (replica ship) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is that a ship most sailors at any time would refer to as a Man o' War? I was under the impression that the name Man o' War was only for huge ships, such as the HMS Victory. Or did the term change with time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 04:49 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
Surprise of course is a frigate and I think a naval person would say what class-sloop, snow, frigate,etc and the doctor being an entirely un-maritime person would state man o'war. I recall there is a bit with the Captain lectures the Dr. on naval matters.

Since O'Brien used stories from the contemporary Naval Chronicle for his works I suspect it would be appropriate.

I am more familiar with C.S. Forester who also mined the Naval Chronicle and do not recall man of war being used but those works deal with dialogue among naval types with minor civilian intrusion.

Before I knew how to ID age of sail ships I probably would have used a lay term.

Last edited by Felix C; 03-12-2015 at 05:05 AM..

Old 03-12-2015, 07:09 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Frigates and larger armed naval vessels were called "man o' war" ships. Vessels smaller than frigates were classified as "unrated"

The name for the largest ships, the ones with multiple gundecks, was "Ship of the line" which meant that in a fleet action, they would be expected to go head to head with enemy ships of the line. A frigate would not be placed in that line, but it was still a "Man o' war" vessel.

At least that is what I have gleamed from reading a shipload of those age of fighting sail novels.

Last edited by Grandstander; 03-12-2015 at 07:25 AM..

Old 03-12-2015, 07:26 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
The Royal Navy rated ships as first through sixth rate. Ships of the line were 1-3 rates, 4th rate was a transition rate during this period of time, most frigates were 5th rate, while smaller frigates of around 2 dozen guns were 6th rates. Smaller ships such as sloops, cutters, etc. were unrated.

Old 03-12-2015, 02:29 PM

So even a 6th rate frigate could be referred to as a Man o' War?

Old 03-12-2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
So even a 6th rate frigate could be referred to as a Man o' War?
Yes. Also a racehorse.

The distinction you are actually referencing is ship of the line vs not ship of the line, with frigates and below belonging to the latter group.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:41 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
I was watching a bit of the film Master and Commander this evening, and at one point, the ship's doctor refers to Russel Crow's ship as a Man o' War. Here's a brief description of the ship used in the film, photo included:

HMS Surprise (replica ship) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is that a ship most sailors at any time would refer to as a Man o' War? I was under the impression that the name Man o' War was only for huge ships, such as the HMS Victory. Or did the term change with time?
You'd have to be a reader of Patrick O'Brian's amazing books. The surgeon, Stephen Maturin, is notoriously clueless about the naval life, continuously using the wrong terms. It is a running joke, for example, in the books, that he has no idea how to climb a ship's ladder or anything else. Despite this, he is a brilliant surgeon, naturalist and spy. I love those books.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Yes. Also a racehorse.

The distinction you are actually referencing is ship of the line vs not ship of the line, with frigates and below belonging to the latter group.
What are the subgroups of ships that are ships of the line?

Old 03-12-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
What are the subgroups of ships that are ships of the line?
joe from daytona described the structure in his above post. Ratings were determined by size, i.e., the number of guns which were carried. First rates were the monsters, three decks and more than 100 guns.

The majority of the ships were 2nd and 3rd rates, two gundecks and somewhere between 64 and 90 guns, with the most common in European navies being the 74's. 4th rates had 50-60 guns and while classed as ships of the line, ceased being used in that function because they could not stand up to the broadsides from the higher ratings.

At the zenith of their power in the age of fighting sail, the beginning of the 19th Century, the Royal Navy had 18 first rates, 18 second rates, and more than 100 third rates which they could put to sea.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:43 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Actually, as long as the vessel had three masts, it could be classified as a Man o'War
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History