U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 09:08 PM

20,460 posts, read 24,114,811 times

Advertisements

PS -

Sorry to drift off the original topic.

Ken
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 11:54 AM

12,787 posts, read 18,656,881 times
Its an interesting topic to be sure. But it seems there is always this implication that the Holocaust was America's fault.

Perhaps the question should be why did the Germans and the Austrians allow it to happen? And why did so many others (France, Ukraine, the Baltics) seemingly show enthusiasm towards it while so few (Denmark, Bulgaria) did anything to help the Jews?

Old 01-17-2008, 06:53 PM

823 posts, read 2,625,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Its an interesting topic to be sure. But it seems there is always this implication that the Holocaust was America's fault.

Perhaps the question should be why did the Germans and the Austrians allow it to happen? And why did so many others (France, Ukraine, the Baltics) seemingly show enthusiasm towards it while so few (Denmark, Bulgaria) did anything to help the Jews?
Good point. I also don't like any implication that says an event occurred in history because "it was inevitable."

Old 01-18-2008, 12:55 PM

9,803 posts, read 14,408,163 times
hindsight is 20/20

Around 1940, the US was still in a depression
WWI had only ended 20+ years earlier and that ending was "the ending of all wars) --or so the people thought.

The vast majority of Americans were opposed to us getting involved in another war (especially in Europe again)

Also, around 1940-------the US military was ranked 17th in the world. (France was ranked #1)

as other posters stated, we must put ourselves back into that era with our reasoning when debating what "might have been"

Old 01-18-2008, 01:36 PM

12,787 posts, read 18,656,881 times
Quote:
Also, around 1940-------the US military was ranked 17th in the world. (France was ranked #1)
Tis true. I read somewhere that Portugal had more in the way of armed forces than we did at that time. Yet Portugal gets a pass for staying neutral throughout WWII.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:35 PM

17,700 posts, read 36,891,975 times
I'm ashamed to say this, but the first thing that popped into my head was, "huh, that this was the first time he's ever heard of Auschwitz". I'm not entirely sure what his point was regardless of whether he misspoke or not. The worst tragedy/genocide for centuries and all he can think about is bombs ... nice war president. Can you imagine what would have happened if we would have bombed the camps, or the tracks to the camps? The Nazis would have stepped up the killing for sure making darn tootin' sure that there would be nothing but shot up bodies along with the burned and starved. He should have kept his mouth shut out of respect.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
hindsight is 20/20

Around 1940, the US was still in a depression
WWI had only ended 20+ years earlier and that ending was "the ending of all wars) --or so the people thought.

The vast majority of Americans were opposed to us getting involved in another war (especially in Europe again)

as other posters stated, we must put ourselves back into that era with our reasoning when debating what "might have been"
Yeah, though the US Navy was strong, the US army was PUNY at that time - and very poorly equipped and trained.

Ken

Old 01-22-2008, 08:52 AM

1,164 posts, read 3,399,325 times
Check out the 1976 movie "Voyage of the Damned". It was about a German propaganda ploy to show that no country would offer 1000 Jews a save haven. Not our country's proudest moment.
Roosevelt had to get us into the war or we would be bankrupt because of the materials we had sent to our allies but Americans wanted no part of it until Pearl Harbor. Pearl Harbor where the Japs sunk a bunch of antiquated junk that Billy Mitchell had proven would not be a factor in the next war. All five air craft carriers which would win the next war were all out on maneuvers when the Japanese showed up, coincidence? I have never thought so.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:14 PM

17,700 posts, read 36,891,975 times
I wrote a major history paper on the topic of how various governments in Europe turned away the Jews who were seeking to escape Germany. Read and used this book extensively:

Barnes*&*Noble.com - Books: While Six Million Died, by Arthur D. Morse, Paperback, Reprint

I worked with an attorney who was on that boat to Cuba. The story he had to tell!

Old 01-22-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I wrote a major history paper on the topic of how various governments in Europe turned away the Jews who were seeking to escape Germany.
Yeah, plenty of shame to go around on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I worked with an attorney who was on that boat to Cuba. The story he had to tell!
Yeah, I'll bet.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History