Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 01:26 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times

Advertisements

What are some of the latest battles in history to feature melee combat? By melee combat, I mean up close and personal with either weapons, and hand to hand, and much of KIA is not because of a projectile. As gunpowder weapons advanced, combat took place further and further away, till we get to this point in modern history. So I am just wondering what are some of latest battles in history to have some kind of melee combat. I know the early firearms where not that good, so I imagine, they were used much like archery was, and there were probably still lots of close in personal combat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 01:42 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
I think you can find examples in both theaters of WWII, but my intuition is that the battles for Iwo Jima and Okinawa saw many such combats events. (And i guess some of the others, like the battle for Peleliu). Also, modern urban warfare has always had a "house-house" phase of combat.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:59 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,230,152 times
My guess? Big padded bra sale at Wal-Mart during the holidays....taking your life in your own hands when these broads come calling....give the tables a wide berth....live to fight another day....

Old 03-18-2015, 02:05 PM

8,488 posts, read 6,891,592 times
If you're talking US military history it was the Korean War. In 1951 Captain Lewis Millett led his infantry company on an uphill all out bayonet charge against entrenched enemy positions on top of Hill 180. It is generally recognized as the last bayonet charge in American military history. Charging ahead, firing, throwing grenades and using the bayonet and the rifles themselves as clubs they routed the enemy forces. Millett received the Medal of Honor.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:12 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Ever seen any film or video of the South Korean police forces vs student strikers? The Koreans take their rioting seriously, they would occupy some public building and then fight like maniacs when the police came for them with their tear gas and heavy clubs. The bodies being dragged, or forced to duckwalk into the paddy wagons, were blood soaked and battered. They put America's '60's campus rioters to shame.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:52 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What are some of the latest battles in history to feature melee combat? By melee combat, I mean up close and personal with either weapons, and hand to hand, and much of KIA is not because of a projectile. As gunpowder weapons advanced, combat took place further and further away, till we get to this point in modern history. So I am just wondering what are some of latest battles in history to have some kind of melee combat. I know the early firearms where not that good, so I imagine, they were used much like archery was, and there were probably still lots of close in personal combat.
Do you mean melee combat as a norm or outstanding feature of the battle?

Old 03-18-2015, 05:15 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
A few British Soldiers led a bayonet charge in Afghanistan not terribly long ago.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:10 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Do you mean melee combat as a norm or outstanding feature of the battle?

This. Your question is not phrased well. What are you looking for? Hand to hand combat, as well as use of the bayonet has been documented in the Mid East and A'stan.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:30 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
If you're talking US military history it was the Korean War. In 1951 Captain Lewis Millett led his infantry company on an uphill all out bayonet charge against entrenched enemy positions on top of Hill 180. It is generally recognized as the last bayonet charge in American military history. Charging ahead, firing, throwing grenades and using the bayonet and the rifles themselves as clubs they routed the enemy forces. Millett received the Medal of Honor.

Even though Canada still does bayonet drills, I believe Hill 677 in the Korean War was the last time Canada used bayonets (and shovels lol), as well, when 700 Canadians defended the hill in Kapyong against several thousand Chinese after the Australians were forced to retreat, and other Allied positions collapsed around them.

It was so bad that at one point the Canadians had the New Zealanders shell the Canadian position, landing 2,300 shells in under an hour.
By the time the next day rolled around, and they were relieved by a battalion of the 1st US Calvary Division, 10 Canadians were killed, 23 wounded, and an estimated 2,000 Chinese dead.

As a side note, it turns out Capt. Millett received his bayonet training from the Canadian military, and has also been awarded two medals from Canada.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:41 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
I think you can find examples in both theaters of WWII, but my intuition is that the battles for Iwo Jima and Okinawa saw many such combats events. (And i guess some of the others, like the battle for Peleliu). Also, modern urban warfare has always had a "house-house" phase of combat.
House to house does not necessarily mean melee. By melee I mean either hand to hand or with hand held weaponry like knifes, sabres, bayonets. In house to House in modern times people are still shooting each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History