Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 08:54 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Baustian View Post
And though he pays lip service to Judeo-Christian values, he is not a holy roller. I assume he knows that would turn off a huge percentage of his listeners.
Americans are religiously pluralistic, it makes a lot of sense not to open that can of worms on a politically based program.

There are certainly enough shows out there with a religious bent to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 12:17 AM

862 posts, read 1,197,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
That's a chicken and egg kind of thing.

The New Sound of 13Q was whipping KQV in the ratings pretty badly. If KQV had maintained its dominance in Top 40, would they have still switched format?
Had KQV dominate the ratings in the mid 70's they would probably had followed the same path New York's 77 WABC had taken meaning that they would continue doing the top 40 sounds through the end of the 70s then becoming more "adult contemporary" in the very early 80s as more and more top 40 listeners would move to FM and then finally pulling the plug on the music all together to become talk which WABC would end up doing on May 10, 1982. Pittsburgh's big top 40 FM station for many years WBZZ "B-94" was launched in 1981 and I think it would be a safe bet to say that they would had killed KQV early on.

Last edited by tantan1968; 04-29-2015 at 12:30 AM..

Old 04-30-2015, 07:28 AM

936 posts, read 823,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Rush ended up getting fired and headed back to Missouri.
That's true. I live in Kansas City and I remember listening to Rush's early talk shows on an AM station here, 81 KCMO. Rush honed and perfected his rightwing persona at that station during the 1980's.

Little did I know at the time, that I am "kind of/sort of" related to Rush Limbaugh. Rush is originally from Cape Girardeau, MO, on the other side of the state. My mother's family is from that area too. When I was doing genealogy on my mother's family years alter, I discovered that one of my second cousins married Rush's uncle, William Columbus Limbaugh. I share a whole line of Limbaugh cousins with the Master Dittohead. God help me.

But it all evens out because another distant cousin in that tree is uber-liberal Sen. Bill Bradley, who lost the Democratic nomination to Al Gore in 2000.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:23 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,771,834 times
Most of what I remember of talk radio before I knew of Limbaugh radio show was NPR on the FM band. The local talk radio stations were mostly on the AM band. The topics ran the gamut from what I recall and seemed much more slow paced since the shows were local and not syndicated. I am not sure when I first heard of Limbaugh, but probably was by the mid-90s.

I used to listen to more political talk radio in the late 90s when I worked at night. Art Bell on Coast to Coast was among my favorites at that time. I lost interest in most of any talk radio and haven't listened to it regularly in several years. Now using the internet can usually fill that void with podcasts and so on.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:27 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,800,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Baustian View Post
And though he pays lip service to Judeo-Christian values, he is not a holy roller. I assume he knows that would turn off a huge percentage of his listeners.
Rush Limbaugh has stated, many times on the air and in his first book, "The Way Things Ought To Be", that he avoids getting theological, because such matters are personal rather than political, and would quickly degenerate into sectarian "narrowcasting".

One national political talk show host I can think of who does get theological is Dennis Prager, but he keeps it very broadly ecumenical, probably for the same "narrowcasting" reason.

Old 01-15-2016, 06:34 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantan1968 View Post
What was talk radio like in the days before Rush Limbaugh ??

A lot less politics and much more variety. There were a number of local talk shows that were very good, too. Unfortunately, hate radio seems to have taken over with the exception of some sports talk.

The local talk radio station is all flaming angry right wingers spewing spittle all day every day. Limbaugh, Beck, Levin, Hannity, etc. It was much better when it was an oldies station.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:43 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
Here's a YouTube video of the local AM station in my market from 1974, which was before Rush Limbaugh. I listened to this station a lot starting around 2000 and I couldn't believe how much different it sounds. For those of you older than me was mixing hit music and news talk common?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VvUQucplWY

Old 01-17-2016, 03:07 PM

639 posts, read 579,504 times
It was far more honest, and informative.

Old 01-17-2016, 03:25 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,367,344 times
More local topic chitchat, and none of the nationally syndicated celebrity hosts that we have nowadays. 30 years ago, more people listened the radio. They followed the local radio programming more closely, and tuned into the talk shows pretty regularly. That's all changed now. I guess the talk shows need to do whatever they can to attract listeners, so it's more about gimmicks, showbiz, controversy, and publicity. A far cry from local hosts being local big shots, as they were back in the day. Funny how it's all changed.

Old 01-17-2016, 05:33 PM

862 posts, read 1,197,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Here's a YouTube video of the local AM station in my market from 1974, which was before Rush Limbaugh. I listened to this station a lot starting around 2000 and I couldn't believe how much different it sounds. For those of you older than me was mixing hit music and news talk common?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VvUQucplWY

Back in the 70s and well into the 80s stations that did talk/news full time ( no music at all ) were more/less found only in the very big markets like New York, LA, Philadelphia, Chicago and a handful of others such as WTOP in Washington for example. Stations like WHAS at the time of that aircheck and actually well into the 1980s were considered for years to be "full service" radio stations who not only would air pop music but also sported a talk show or two as well as a full time news department and covered live sporting events. WLW in Cincinnati was another one as I can remember back in the 80s that did this....they aired the Reds, had local talk shows and a killer news department..and they had Dusty Rhodes playing oldies rock and roll on the weekends. Denver's KHOW was similar to WLW back in the 80s but they would play music during the Hal & Charlie morning show ( that was in Steven King's movie The Shining btw ) and KHOW would switch to talk during the day and night but weekends was pretty much all music. Pittsburgh's KDKA would air music on the weekends and I believe overnights but was news/talk more/less during the weekdays..it was all considered "full service". Radio stations that were Full Service pretty much would end that format going into full time talkers during the 1991 Gulf War in many markets but one may be able to find such a station even today in one of the more rural areas. The last AM radio station I had listened to that was still doing Full Serivce ( though the music was strictly old middle of the road tunes like Wayne Newton's "Danke Schoen" ) was WJEJ in Hagerstown, Maryland and that was ten years ago.

Last edited by tantan1968; 01-17-2016 at 06:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History