Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 06:36 AM

545 posts, read 1,094,663 times

Advertisements

Interested in Mafia history, and specifically the American mob? I've created a facebook fan page for all things mob history. Come join if you're into this stuff! Also, I'm looking for partners to possibly start a website in the future. Feel free to network with me!

https://www.facebook.com/themobera
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 08:39 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,400,277 times
Thats neat and all, but Ive always wondered about people who obsess over on overly romanticized criminal underworld....

Old 05-21-2015, 09:23 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,732,278 times
The Mafia is more relevant than the Kardashians.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:58 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,550,088 times
Highly recommended book on the Chicago mob is
"The Outfit" by Gus Russo. It's a history book.
The subtitle is "The Role of Chicago's Underworld in
the Shaping of Modern America"

Old 05-21-2015, 11:00 AM

8,233 posts, read 8,566,710 times
There are many websites already out there.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:06 AM

761 posts, read 829,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaq View Post
Interested in Mafia history, and specifically the American mob? I've created a facebook fan page for all things mob history. Come join if you're into this stuff! Also, I'm looking for partners to possibly start a website in the future. Feel free to network with me!

https://www.facebook.com/themobera
I love that stuff but don't FB anymore, gave it up.
Best mafia show on TV is Mobsters.

Last night they had mad Sam DeStefano.
One of his favorite torture methods was beating people with hammers and using icepicks on them.

Real nice guy; even used a blow torch on some guys nutz.
He took the chestnuts roasting on an open fire too literally.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:06 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,006,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Thats neat and all, but Ive always wondered about people who obsess over on overly romanticized criminal underworld....
People are attracted to drama and especially to life and death drama.

Which of these two names can you instantly identify?

Billy the Kid

John Augustus Roebling

The former was a punk in New Mexico who murdered a few people and made a jail break. The latter was the genius who designed the Brooklyn Bridge. I'm confident that all would agree that Roebling made a far more substantial and positive contribution to America, but Billy the Kid is the one who has been depicted in more films and tv shows than any other American.

The reason that people are fascinated by the Mob is the same reason that we never see a headline which reads "Airplane Lands Safely and On Time."

Old 05-21-2015, 01:20 PM

6,105 posts, read 5,969,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
People are attracted to drama and especially to life and death drama.

Which of these two names can you instantly identify?

Billy the Kid

John Augustus Roebling

The former was a punk in New Mexico who murdered a few people and made a jail break. The latter was the genius who designed the Brooklyn Bridge. I'm confident that all would agree that Roebling made a far more substantial and positive contribution to America, but Billy the Kid is the one who has been depicted in more films and tv shows than any other American.

The reason that people are fascinated by the Mob is the same reason that we never see a headline which reads "Airplane Lands Safely and On Time."

In the days when aviation was just getting off the ground, a young American was world famous for landing safely and more or less on time since he didn't run out of gas before reaching Paris in 1927. It commanded the largest newsprint in papers in both American and Europe. Novelty is just as big a turn on as fear or horror.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:30 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,006,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
In the days when aviation was just getting off the ground, a young American was world famous for landing safely and more or less on time since he didn't run out of gas before reaching Paris in 1927. It commanded the largest newsprint in papers in both American and Europe. Novelty is just as big a turn on as fear or horror.
And you had to go back 88 years to find an example....shores up my point.

And of course that point was that people are always more fascinated by the extremes of human behavior than they are by the mundane. Are you arguing that this is not true?

Old 05-21-2015, 01:40 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,306,352 times
I think in part people love the Mafia because they also love Italian food, and cinema and TV often shows the two hand in hand. No one gets that excited about the history of the Irish mob or Russian Mafia today, but you say Mafia and people picture some greaseballs eating baked ziti or cannolis with a nice glass of red wine. The other organized crime groups were never that romanticized(for the most part) and who cares about white Protestant criminals(that's really boring).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History