Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 12:23 PM

3,983 posts, read 6,791,114 times

Advertisements

In 400 years from now, in the 25th century, how will be the work of a historian?

The research about the past before the 20th century will probably not be very different of the way the research is done today.

But how the historian of the 25th century will research the history from the 20th century onwards?

Will it be SUPER EASY to determine the details of facts that happened 400 years early?

How the internet will be used in the research? Will the internet become a primary source? How will they know what are true facts, and what is just trolling? For example: if someone posts a thread in 2015 saying that a Big Foot was spotted near his town, will a historian from the future take this Big Foot story as true?

Will videos be widely used on research?

How you imagine it will be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 12:33 PM

3,983 posts, read 6,791,114 times
I found an interesting article on this subject:

How will historians of the future sort through the data glut of the present?

I liked this part:

Quote:
Not all or even most of the current flood of stuff will survive into the next century, but lots and lots of it will. Far from the “digital dark age” that some were predicting only 10 years ago, the future will be awash in data from our era. Our LOLCats are safe for eternity.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:10 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,325,444 times
This is my great fear, not only is there so much data much of it will be unusable unless there is some national center for antiquated computers. For gawds, sake I have Word files from 10 years ago that are unsupported and thus unreadable. What are historians to do with boxes of unconverted 3.5 floppy disc, or even DVD's when no one will have made an optical drive for more than 300 years?

SCSI, ATA, SAS, SATA, USB, USB 2. Thunderbold? Only gawd knows what they will have to contend with in the future. (By the way, the recent super hack of government files... the Office of Personnel Management is still using COBAL!) and if you are of an age where those abbreviations don't mean anything to you, then you might begin to understand the problem.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:50 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
This is my great fear, not only is there so much data much of it will be unusable unless there is some national center for antiquated computers. For gawds, sake I have Word files from 10 years ago that are unsupported and thus unreadable. What are historians to do with boxes of unconverted 3.5 floppy disc, or even DVD's when no one will have made an optical drive for more than 300 years?
Data is digital, just a series of 1's and 0's, the media doesn't really matter. Old floppy discs and DVD's will degrade anyways...the important stuff will be in protected servers. Now if those servers get damaged or destroyed or wiped, that's another matter. But the same risk exists with ancient records.
Future historians will have to diferentiate from social media (the web), which is really were the glut of information is, and official documents. Social science is part of hsitory of course so that part will not be ignored, search algoritms (much more sophisticated then "google"ing) will take care of the glut, but historians focus on that bit of information that was unknown before - that forgotten letter from Napoleon to one of his girlfriends that puts an entire different spin on a battle, that document found in someone attic during an estate sale, the previously confidential documents held in a vault by the former Soviet Russia.
So, in some ways, I am more concerned that the element of mystery will be taken out of the role of the historian. Everything will be known. No longer will it be the guy visiting attics and dusty files or previously forbiddent vaults, but some geek behind a keyboard. I guess, in theory, some element of that will still exist - a guy can visit Clinton's house 500 years from now and find in some hidden crevice one of Bill's sex tapes on CD.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:14 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post

SCSI, ATA, SAS, SATA, USB, USB 2. Thunderbold? Only gawd knows what they will have to contend with in the future. (By the way, the recent super hack of government files... the Office of Personnel Management is still using COBAL!) and if you are of an age where those abbreviations don't mean anything to you, then you might begin to understand the problem.
As a former Cobol programmer, I say yeah!!!! I still wish there was a version which ran on a laptop.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:18 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,092,097 times
The problem won't be an abundance of data but a lack. Because of potential litigation no one keeps diaries, correspondence files, or anything else a day longer than mandated by law.

Old 06-19-2015, 04:27 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,590,580 times
The same way it is done today, by parsing through the trivial and following the relevant.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:11 PM

8,484 posts, read 6,889,316 times
Once the singularity arrives artificial intelligence will have no use for history only technology.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:52 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,325,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Data is digital, just a series of 1's and 0's, the media doesn't really matter. Old floppy discs and DVD's will degrade anyways...the important stuff will be in protected servers.
Agh... there is important stuff on floppies, DVD's and totally unreadable file formats right now. Hoping that the "important" stuff is stashed on a server somewhere is nonsense unless history will consist of Facebook Status comments, and Tweets.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:37 PM

424 posts, read 381,756 times
It will be harder, as more time passes there are more events and dates and stuff to keep track off.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History