Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 06:07 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Several years ago, for personal reasons, I researched events for the year 1971:
Jan 25: Charles Manson and 3 women in his clan are found guilty for the murder of 7 people, including actress Sharon Tate.
Feb 9: Strong earthquake hits San Fernando Valley, by Los Angeles.
April 23: Huge anti-war protest in Washington, attended by 200,000 demonstrators. Many Vietnam vets, some in wheelchairs, file past the fence to toss their medals over the fence, onto the Capitol steps.
April 29: US confirms that the Vietnam war has claimed 45,000 American lives.
May 3: In Washington, another large anti-war demsonstration. 7,000 protestors are detained in RFK Stadium.
June 2: In Yuba City, California, Juan Corona is charged with the murder of 23 young men, whose bodies have been dug up in surrounding area.
June 13: The New York Times begins to publish a secret Pentagon study about US involvement in Vietnam. The Nixon administration tries to block the publishing. (Refer: Daniel Ellsberg).
June 30: Congress ratifies the 26th Amendment, giving voting rights to 18 year olds.
Sept 13: At Attica prison in New York state, prisoners riot causing authorities to call in 1,500 state troopers and National Guard. After 4 days riots end and death toll is 28.
Nove 24: A man known as DB Cooper hijacks a Northwest airliner with 36 passengers aboard, forces a landing to collect $200,000 and be issued four parachutes. Soon after take off he bails out over Washington state. No trace of him, parachute or money was ever found.
Sports: Baltimore Colts beat Dallas Cowboys in Super Bowl. Pirates beat Orioles for World Series.
New Movies: "Summer of 42", "Love Story", "Clockwork Orange", "Last Picture Show", "French Connection", "Dirty Harry".
TV & Entertainment: Peter Falk stars as Colombo, CBS premieres "All In The Family". Carol King receives platinum for "It's Too Late" LP. Diana Ross quits Supremes to go solo. Broadway smash hit is "Jesus Christ Superstar"
Abie Hofman's book "Steal This Book" goes on sale.
Obituaries: Jim Morrison (The Doors): July 3, 1971
Louis Armstrong: July 6, 1971
Nikita Krushchev (former Soviet premier); Sept 11, 1971
Except for the earthquake and the sports, I remember each one of these events, a couple of them quite vividly.
I agree with Kevk that there was a lot of social and racial tension back then; sometimes the air just *crackled* with attitude.
Fortunately for me, my high school chose innovative techniques to confront, diffuse, and even create a learning experience out of it.
Maybe that's partly why 1971 and '71 were such memorable years for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 10:13 AM

110 posts, read 292,646 times
Default Here We Go!

At the risk of stiring up a hornet's nest (I hate confrontation but won't run from it) I've got to take on something, Reactionary posted regarding John Kerry's comments in 1971 about the war. I don't know the man (Kerry) or pretend to understand his politics ... in fact what I do know of them are probably 180 degrees different from my own. The fact remains though, Kerry was there, wore the uniform, showed up, whatever and thus has earned the right to express his views. Kerry stepped up to the plate, expressed his views and took his knocks. You, Reactionary, on the other hand do not have the balls to even list anything on your profile. What have you done? My views differ from his (Kerry's) and whenever I see "Hanoi Jane" (Fonda) on the tube, I change channels. I didn't do much during the war, but I showed up. Those who served were didn't do it for the flag, mom, apple pie or your precious right to speak your mind. They (I) served for survival and b/c there werre few other options. Less anyone misunderstand my intentions, I am definitely for peace (through superior firepower). So, Reactionary, step up to the plate and let cyberspace know who you are ... you'll earn some respect while you're at it. Regards, Lou

Old 01-23-2008, 10:38 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
People making it sound like the movie "Hair". LOL The late 60's and early 70's were not like that at all, at least to the average american. Not at all. The war and war protests were something seen on TV and to most of America it was something foreign and a million miles away. Guys had crew cuts, went to work, spent time with there family, watched football, went to school. Pretty much what they do today.

Jefferston Airplane and Joan Biaz were not blaring from the radio, it was more like The Osmond's, Roberta Flack, Neil Diamond...bubble gum and pop.

The War in Vietnam at this time had been going on for awhile, but was somewhat winding down. You saw it on the news, Dan Rather in all these places that were hard to prounounce, after 6 years people didn't think about it much sad to say. I think I remember the big thing about Vietnam was "the paris peace talks". But, at this point in time it just not was a big topic in day to day conversation. Watergate was not yet exposed yet (that was 1973) so that was not in the news yet.

The biggest differences when I compare it to today is in TV (home entertainment) and certain conveniences that we take for granted today - no cable, only about 3 or 4 TV stations. No VCR or DVD. No Cell phone, just those dial phones, No microwave - we had those tin foil TV dinners for "quick" meals (took 40 minutes to cook in the oven and they tasted really bad). No laptop or computers at all of course. I think the result of all this is that life was much slower then, people had more leasure time not being tied down to work, more family time.

You must of had AM radio...best station on the air that decade was WNEW FM 102.7 out of NY....I remember falling asleep each night listening to the night bird Alison Steele..great music no bubble gum pop for sure

Old 01-23-2008, 10:51 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times
Loujr - so you're saying that only those who've served in the military have free speech? I'm certain that those who take the oath to defend the Constitution disagree with you - for that matter, you may disagree with you.

Back on topic: the fact remains that John Kerry met with the North Vietnamese and Viet Cong while the US was at war, and that John Kerry advocated their positions. In 1971.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:32 PM

Default Here We Go! Reactionary

Reactionary, do not presume to speak for me or twist what I say to fit your agenda. Never did I suggest or back-handedly intimate only those who served have the right of freedom of speach or any of our other rights for that matter. I may disagree with Mr. Kerry but he was there, saw how screwed-up things were and spoke his mind ... and at the very least I accept what he said it though I may disagree with it ; I'd do the same for you. You just don't seem to have any credentials to back up what you say and this is what irks me. Be well, Lou

Old 01-23-2008, 01:11 PM

Lou, what kind of credentials does one require to post a C-SPAN link to John Kerry's testimony to Congress, where he brags about meeting with NVA and VC who were killing Americans while he met with them? Do you doubt the accuracy of the C-SPAN text - or C-SPAN's credentials?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loujr
Kerry... earned the right to express his views... What have you done?
Those are your words - it's not a twist to quote you. And that's exactly what you meant... You imply that I have no right to post about Kerry's actions because, wait for it... John Kerry served in Vietnam and because -you- don't know anything about me.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:16 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
ok thanks for sharing your opinions on Kerry but lets not twist this thread to a discussion on the man.
Thanks

Old 01-23-2008, 01:35 PM

SunnyKayak - the link I posted is not an opinion of John Kerry - it is his own words and actions... from 1971

Old 01-23-2008, 01:57 PM

Default Reply to Reactionary

Dear Reactionary, You don't need to waste your valuable time filling out a profile. I've read your posts. These plus your Screen Name speaks volumes about you. You and your kind may be able to read what I've written, but you
fail to comprehend it. You have my sympathies. It is proof though that the war was and still is divisive for those who lived through it. SunnyKayak is correct, it's time to move on. I wish you well. ... p.s. I wore this on my Class A's when I returned on the Freedom Bird. "And That's All I Have To Say About That" Lou
Attached Thumbnails
Do you remember 1971 and 1972?-peace71009.jpg  

Old 01-23-2008, 02:19 PM

Lou - my father told me all about that symbol - he called it the 'footprint of the great American chicken'. I respect his opinion, he was my 'kind' of man, and I think he comprehended you all too well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History