Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 08:46 PM

80 posts, read 276,911 times

Advertisements

I was in the 9th/10th grade during those years. Let me see, ,,,,,music, girls, the war, the cars, 8 track players (or was that too early).....if there was anything else, it was at least priority #6. Life much simpler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 08:50 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
I was 1st/2nd grade. 1972 was the last year the public school required girls to wear dresses. Girls were allowed to wear pants starting in 1973.

Brady Bunch and Patridge Family were in prime time on Friday nights. The Brady Bunch series started in 1969 and ran for 5 years.

We went to Disneyland sometime during that time. Disney World opened in, what? 1971. We went there too in 1973. There were only 2 hotels to choose from. When you flew on an airplane back then you dressed up!!

Old 01-24-2008, 05:08 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I was 1st/2nd grade. 1972 was the last year the public school required girls to wear dresses. Girls were allowed to wear pants starting in 1973.

Brady Bunch and Patridge Family were in prime time on Friday nights. The Brady Bunch series started in 1969 and ran for 5 years.

We went to Disneyland sometime during that time. Disney World opened in, what? 1971. We went there too in 1973. There were only 2 hotels to choose from. When you flew on an airplane back then you dressed up!!
Almost nobody flew on a plane back then. You had have LOTS of cash to do so. I did not get on a plane until well into my 20s

Old 01-24-2008, 05:09 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post

We could not weat blue jeans and had to wear a collared shirt until about that year too

Old 01-24-2008, 06:17 AM

27,335 posts, read 27,387,014 times
I was in high school back then and there were actually lockers at school back then. We could pretty much go to school in jeans and flip flops, wear backless blouses, solid colour t-shirts, baseball caps, and leave school for lunch. I hear these days, its almost like a prison. The dress codes, no lockers, cant leave, cant wear open toe shoes. Oh, and most importanly....a full lunch (with free 2nds, if they had anything leftover) was on the menu. Metal lunch trays, not those styrofoam 'to-go' containers.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:53 AM

13,399 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I have Sirrius and listen to the 70s channel alot and lots of the music reeks even today (they call it the "Jukebox From Hell" on Sirrius). But the decade did give us some good stuff like the Allman Brothers, Steve Miller, Kansas, Atlanta Rythym Section, Creedence, Sly Stone, Pink Floyd and such. Even Black Sabbath was pretty good metal. But all the crap you had to listen to on AM to get to the few good songs was annoying as hell. You might hear an Osmonds song twice for every Creedence song. The BEST thing about the 70s was ALL IN THE FAMILY. It is still one of my favourite TV shows of all time and I still watch it and anybody that really wants a taste of the culture back then should watch it.
Guess I was lucky I lived in the NYC area and had WNEW FM.....and yes they played "The End"...also bands you may not of heard of..10 years after, Paul Butterfield ...Traffic etc etc...Wnew made it's airway debut in 1967 and thank goodness thrived all through the 70's as the 70's also was the DISCO era...UGH UGH UGH......never played disco on that station.

Most of the decent rock of the early 70's was a cary over from the 60's

Old 01-24-2008, 07:39 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
I pasted the top 20 music hits from 1971: Ahhhh, the hip revolutionary music of, ummm, whaaa...The Osmonds, The BeeGees, Tony Orlando and Dawn, Cher, and the Jackson 5. Rounding out the top 40 was the dangerous drug-fueled music of The Carpenters, Tom Jones, and John Denver. Oh well so much for peoples melodramatic memory of "the air was awash with the scent of marijuana..."

In 1969 the #2 hit of the year was The Archies "Sugar, Sugar".

Joy To The World
Three Dog Night

Maggie May
Rod Stewart

It's Too Late
Carole King

One Bad Apple
Osmonds

How Can You Mend A Broken Heart
Bee Gees

Knock Three Times
Dawn

Brand New Key
Melanie

Go Away Little Girl
Donny Osmond

Family Affair
Sly & Family Stone

Gypsys, Tramps & Thieves
Cher

Just My Imagination
Temptations

Theme From Shaft
Issac Hayes

Me And Bobby McGee
Janis Joplin

Brown Sugar
Rolling Stones

Indian Reservation
Raiders

Want Ads
Honey Cone

You've Got A Friend
James Taylor

Uncle Albert
Paul McCartney

What's Going On
Marvin Gaye

Never Can Say Goodbye
Jackson 5

Old 01-24-2008, 07:58 AM

13,399 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I pasted the top 20 music hits from 1971: Ahhhh, the hip revolutionary music of, ummm, whaaa...The Osmonds, The BeeGees, Tony Orlando and Dawn, Cher, and the Jackson 5. Rounding out the top 40 was the dangerous drug-fueled music of The Carpenters, Tom Jones, and John Denver. Oh well so much for peoples melodramatic memory of "the air was awash with the scent of marijuana..."

In 1969 the #2 hit of the year was The Archies "Sugar, Sugar".

Joy To The World
Three Dog Night

Maggie May
Rod Stewart

It's Too Late
Carole King

One Bad Apple
Osmonds

How Can You Mend A Broken Heart
Bee Gees

Knock Three Times
Dawn

Brand New Key
Melanie

Go Away Little Girl
Donny Osmond

Family Affair
Sly & Family Stone

Gypsys, Tramps & Thieves
Cher

Just My Imagination
Temptations

Theme From Shaft
Issac Hayes

Me And Bobby McGee
Janis Joplin

Brown Sugar
Rolling Stones

Indian Reservation
Raiders

Want Ads
Honey Cone

You've Got A Friend
James Taylor

Uncle Albert
Paul McCartney

What's Going On
Marvin Gaye

Never Can Say Goodbye
Jackson 5
Your point? Not everyone listened to that above mentioned crap!!
Different things going on in that era...depends on which side of the fence you were on in regards to memories.... Oh well so much for peoples melodramatic memory of "the air was awash with the scent of marijuana..." that statement is not far fetched at all...depends on where you were

Old 01-24-2008, 08:08 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I was born in January 1972 and curious what was life was like for my parents of that year. If you remember it well feel free to share.
The good things, the bad things what was popular, what did you enjoy and what did you hate.
Let's see if I can recall the sentiments at that time, I would have been turning 20, in college and getting married. That timeframe is still pretty clear to me.

I would say that the overwelming things going on at that time were the acknowledgement that the Viet Nam war was not going to be successful, and how do we "constructively" disengage yet still contain the Soviet Union from expanding their influence. Quite a bit of discussions and concerns evolved around problems in Southeast Asia, where Bangladesh was in the process of declaring independence from Pakistan. Our concerns were different back then, we discussed who were the "good guys" and "bad guys" with a lot of clarity (even if some of it was later found to be in error) and how to work with other countries so they were in our sphere of political influence instead of the Soviets.

Mistrust in Government was rather significant, and the bickering between Nixon's staff and the other leaders was frequently in the news. We looked towards TV news for trusted information, with anchors such as Walter Cronkite, David Brinkley and John Chancellor viewed as very credible and reliable. Cable TV didn't exist, and all of the publicity you see about celebrities today pretty much contained to specialty magazines or brief news segments.

Things like the gas crisis and environment were not of any concern, our focus was mostly on containing communism, and not letting them expand their influence. The country had recently ended the comprehensive military draft, so we were in the early stages of guys not preparing to serve at least two years in the military as part of life planning.

Minorities were just starting to work their way through college and into professions, and women were just beginning to enter fields such as business administration, accounting and engineering. Until the late 1960's those fields had practically all white males going for the jobs. Significant concerns were discussed about the integration of black folks into society, with school bussing probably the major hot topic in those discussions.

Economically speaking, unions were still very strong at that time, and a lot of concerns centered around who may be going out on strike. Employee benefits were expanding, and discussions about expanded vacation time and shorter workweek were byproducts of the acknowledgement that robots and computers were beginning to become a greater part of the production process.

Loyalty to employers, and vice versa, was very strong. Employment emphasis was on how to get ahead in your company, but folks didn't really switch jobs like they do today. The focus was on advancement within as how you improved your life.

I could probably go on and on, but for the purposes of this discussion I think that this is probably about an accurate picture as I can provide about how life was back then.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:16 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Your point? Not everyone listened to that above mentioned crap!!
Different things going on in that era...depends on which side of the fence you were on in regards to memories.... Oh well so much for peoples melodramatic memory of "the air was awash with the scent of marijuana..." that statement is not far fetched at all...depends on where you were
It wasn't directed at you, but to the steriotypical image of the 60's and 70's as all tie-died incense burning, burn a draft card, hippiedom. After 30 years, people have memories reinforced by the steriotypes of media. Not to say it wasn't part of a person experience, but it wasn't a part of a majority of peoples experience.

My point was to
1.) Give the OP a more accurate vision of average life in the early 70's - it was listening to Tony Orlando and Dawn and watching the sunday night Wonderful World of Disney TV show.

2.) To regenerate some memories for others, what better way then to show the music we were listening to at the time, since for most everyone (not everyone, but most everyone) their music listening was all "top 40", the most popular music radio format of the day.

and

3.) For the fun of remembering the songs of that time, as crappy as they were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History