Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 01:45 PM

8,489 posts, read 6,894,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I thought 2nd trick was accurate in his assessment. Considering the quantity of his useful inputs in the History forum I think you need to substantially buttress your critque rather than act as if his comment was pure fantasy. I am reminded of one model of historical development I was taught were there are no revolutions only evolutions in which societal change works in degrees of change. The tendency to compact history in short eras by later generations to facilitate reading overlooks how gradual opinion shifts among the populace. And who initiated and sustained the movement.
You're stringing together a lot of words here and respectfully I truly have no idea what you're trying say. Some of the stuff people say here probably belongs in the Politics and Controversies forum. Somehow I don't think Bernie Sanders and his Progressive supporters are secretly planning a vast network of extermination centers for Conservatives should they win the presidential elections like the Nazis for instance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 02:03 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
It should have been in the POC which is true. Or better said not in this section. But I do not know who Bernie Sanders is nor in anyway is anyone mentioning today's Progressives as identical to Nazis replete with camps etc. But rather the imposition of absolutes or extremism which does away with previous custom and the the comparison used is of the Nazi salute replacing the Imperial era salute.]

Last edited by Felix C; 07-07-2015 at 03:14 PM..

Old 07-07-2015, 02:05 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,569,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Seriously? You can make rational arguments against progressives but to compare them to the Nazis and their beliefs and deeds is pure fantasy.
Not at all fantasy.

But I could also say the same thing about conservatives forcing the issue about anyone THEY don't like too. Lord knows, there's more division among these 2 camps of Americans now, than perhaps ever before since our Civil War.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:06 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
Quote:
You're stringing together a lot of words here and respectfully I truly have no idea what you're trying say. Some of the stuff people say here probably belongs in the Politics and Controversies forum. Somehow I don't think Bernie Sanders and his Progressive supporters are secretly planning a vast network of extermination centers for Conservatives should they win the presidential elections like the Nazis for instance.
A lot of people live in fantasy worlds in which:

*Every subject is political, and
*The 'other side' is just like [insert some horrible genocidal regime here]

The internet gives them an outlet to rage that isn't as disruptive as their semi-annual ravings at holiday dinners with a bunch of extended family members who are all fighting over who gets stuck sitting next to weird Uncle Bob.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:36 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Ah, in my HS days I had to interview a number of Holocaust survivors as I lived near Miami Beach where many Jewish survivors had then retired to. [WW2gen alive and kicking then.] I recall I would ask them why they did nothing to resist or similar and the answer invariably was "No one could believe such a thing would happen in a modern and civilized country as Germany.."

Old 07-07-2015, 02:49 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Quote:
I drew a few parallels -- nothing less and nothing more. It might be noted (and I've posted something related to this in a thread on Anne Frank about a year ago) that upon many occasions, "upstanding citizens" who have proclaimed that they wanted nothing to do with the bully-boys in power turned out to have feet of clay once the thumbscrews began to tighten.

The fact that certain people want to consign these posts to another forum (but would welcome some if launched from the opposite point of view) says a lot about their "moral" grounding -- and their goals.

History provides many examples of people who stood up to totalitarianism -- but often with too little and too late. Totalitarian agendae, be they from the left, the right, or any position outside the mainstream, tend to unfold slowly and subtly. I submit that there is a lot of evidence that totalitarianism is seeking to unfurl its banner in contemporary America.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 07-07-2015 at 03:17 PM..

Old 07-07-2015, 02:54 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Never said anything about the film. We are in the History forum not Movies section. I work with non-fiction here.
I bring that up because that tends to be where Americans who are interested in history get their impression of the guy.

I think it's important to recognize that not everyone in Germany during the 30s-40s was a totally brainwashed Nazi stooge, including people actually fighting on the German side of the war.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:18 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,619,209 times
Re: "History provides many examples of people who stood up to totalitarianism -- but often with too little and too late. Totalitarian agendae, be they from the left, the right, or any position outside the mainstream, tend to unfold slowly and subtly. I submit that there is a lot of evidence that totalitarianism is seeking to unfurl its banner in contemporary America"

You know on that I think of the possibility and hope we can be strong to take the pressure.

Democracy indeed can hold a dark side. There is the fact that if bad guys get some control the freedoms existing in democratic and 'free' societies are sometimes used to undermine those same sacrosanct principles wending their way through those societies.

It can be an insidious development as we can see that democracies could be prone to being destroyed expressly by those freedoms that help develop the 'common good'. As we see today some have different views of keeping and following democratic traditions. But, in any case, we can be students, as we have the lesson of the Nazis and their subtle and mendacious moves into broader society to eventually take it over. Let's hope we've learned the signs.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:53 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
There were plenty of Germans within the Wehrmacht (regular army) and the Abwehr (military intelligence) who had doubts about the Nazis -- Admiral Canaris is probably the best-known.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_Canaris

But I think the real point here is that the growth of Nazism -- its roots among the most embittered of the lower ranks of German society, its gradual, but constantly-intensifying stifling of dissent, and its search for scapegoats, bears a disturbing resemblance to the concept of Political Correctness so popular among the "progressives" in present day America.

Just some food for thought.
I guess the fact that it's no longer seen as acceptable to refer to blacks, gays, and other minority groups by pejorative names, is going to lead to the downfall of America.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:26 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
I guess the fact that it's no longer seen as acceptable to refer to blacks, gays, and other minority groups by pejorative names, is going to lead to the downfall of America.
I'm not quite sure what that post is intended to convey; however, in some quarters, it's quite all right to refer to anyone who doesn't endorse Political Correctness as a "hater", more so if the individual in question is white, male, and/or of mature years; so the analogy functions in both directions.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 07-07-2015 at 06:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History