Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 06:46 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times

Advertisements

Prince Asaka Yasuhiko, the uncle of Emperor Hirohito is widely believed to have given the order for the rape and massacre of the citizens of Nanking during WWII but avoided the war crimes tribunal because Douglas MacArthur granted immunity to all members of the imperial family. As a result this butcher lived to the ripe old age of 93. Could someone help me wrap my head around MacArthur's reasoning, if we can call it that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 11:46 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Prince Asaka Yasuhiko, the uncle of Emperor Hirohito is widely believed to have given the order for the rape and massacre of the citizens of Nanking during WWII but avoided the war crimes tribunal because Douglas MacArthur granted immunity to all members of the imperial family. As a result this butcher lived to the ripe old age of 93. Could someone help me wrap my head around MacArthur's reasoning, if we can call it that.
The Emperor of Japan has never really had much in regards to day to day political power. Japan had been more or less a British style constitutional monarchy since the 1870s. The prime minister (Tojo) and the parliament ran the country in the name of the emperor. However that dosent make him automatically guilty as he did not give the orders nor was he probably even informed of what was happening in regards to Nanking, Pearl Harbor, etc.

The status of Japanese emperor today is pretty much the same as it was before 1945. The difference is that he/she no longer has reserve powers unlike most European monarchs who actually have significant power but choose only to exercise them in specific circumstances.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
The Emperor of Japan has never really had much in regards to day to day political power. Japan had been more or less a British style constitutional monarchy since the 1870s. The prime minister (Tojo) and the parliament ran the country in the name of the emperor. However that dosent make him automatically guilty as he did not give the orders nor was he probably even informed of what was happening in regards to Nanking, Pearl Harbor, etc.

The status of Japanese emperor today is pretty much the same as it was before 1945. The difference is that he/she no longer has reserve powers unlike most European monarchs who actually have significant power but choose only to exercise them in specific circumstances.
Who is talking about the Emperor (although I would strongly disagree with your characterization of Hirohito's role in the militarization of Japan) but rather his uncle who was second in command of the Japanese Expeditionary Force that was responsible for the atrocities in Nanking, and who is widely believed to have both given the orders to execute prisoners and was fully aware of the atrocities taking place.

Old 10-23-2010, 02:54 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
There was alot of that going on:

Quote:
In the midst of continuous denial by important members of the Japanese government individually or collectively that Japan was an aggressor in World War II, the planned exhibition of the Smithsonian Institute to commemorate the end of WWII in Asia has turned into an unusually fervid debate, with which an interest in discussing and writing on Japan's wartime atrocities has been aroused. Most prominent among numerous writings on the subject is "Japan Confronting Gruesome War Atrocity" penned by Nicholas D. Kristof and published inNew York Times on March 17, 1995. The article has given us a detailed account of the most shocking, heinous, cruel crime the civilized world has ever known: Japanese Unit 731 used human beings for vivisection in order to develop biological weapons. Equally unbelievable is that the United States has covered up the crime in exchange for the data on human experiments, an act utterly ignoring international laws and human justice. What a great irony to the lofty ideal of democracy and the so-called "American civilization" of the 20th century!
Unexplained Mysteries of Unit 731

Old 10-23-2010, 03:15 PM

421 posts, read 448,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Because it was more important to have a stable peace with Japan than prosecute someone.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattos_12 View Post
Because it was more important to have a stable peace with Japan than prosecute someone.
Ah, but we did prosecute and executed Japanese perpetrators of many of the worst war crimes of WWII including Prince Asaka's commanding officer General Matsui Iwane who was actually sick and out of contact during the siege and occupation of Nanking.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:46 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,800,934 times
The whole Nanking affair was terrible. Few people know much about it. I would love to see Hollywood do bio pic of Minnie Vautrin, Robert Wilson or John Rabe. The Holocaust has been filmed from numerous angles and perspectives. I wish the same could be said for the Rape of Nanking.

Of course, it's all political - the failure to hold some accountable for their war crimes. To be honest with you, I can't get my head around it either. Quite a few soldiers (I hesitate to say many because I don't know the numbers) who actually committed the rapes and murders were never punished. Video interviews by them are rare but a few do exist. Just awful.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:31 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
The whole Nanking affair was terrible. Few people know much about it. I would love to see Hollywood do bio pic of Minnie Vautrin, Robert Wilson or John Rabe. The Holocaust has been filmed from numerous angles and perspectives. I wish the same could be said for the Rape of Nanking.
John Rabe (2009) - IMDb

Old 10-23-2010, 08:48 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,800,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
That's crazy! I seriously didn't know there was a movie! I see that the dvd was released last month. Fantastic! Now I just have to get my hands on it. Thanks.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:13 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post

Nanking (2007) - IMDb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History