Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 05:12 PM

3,350 posts, read 2,843,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Actually, I think you would find that the blacks I knew then would be happy to climb in the time capsule with me. I grew up in Cass County, MI and our population was about 1/3 black: Underground Railroad - Discover Cass County, Michigan They were farmers, factory workers, etc. just like everyone else. We all used the same bathroom, drank from the water fountain, rode the same bus, went to the same schools and we were all friends. I am not sure what you know about history but location, location, location was important. I could ask my best friend from high school next time I talk with her but I think I know her well enough to say that we'll both be backed and ready.

Gays? I have no idea what their story was back then. People generally kept their sexual lives quiet back then and everyone kind of wanted to appear like they didn't have one when they were outside their own home.
Most minorities do not want to back in time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 06:54 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,229,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
It didn't seem to bother my relatives. They did the same things they always did... worked, went to the movies, went bowling, went to restaurants, socialized, etc.

Modern terrorism, which actually has happened, is more of a threat than during the Cold War years.
Thing is, it still colored the way you saw life. There were moments it's risk couldn't be denied. When Cuba and missles made it a hot button issue, people stayed home and near family. Dad and I stayed home that day so the family would be together if it was an end. And the fear of the bomb dropping from the sky wasn't spoken of, and people lived life, but it never really left. It was the dark shadow that you ignored as you lived each day, because even when the world outside is not so good, its what people *do*.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Knowing what we know now? Absolutely. And I'd stay there. too. Imagine! Knowing who won the Kentucky Derby and putting a huge bet on. Buying property in what you know will be prime real estate areas. Buying the collectables that will be worth a ton in the future. Going into the 60s and seeing groups like the Grateful Dead and Led Zeppelin for the first time. Think about what we know about things like robbing banks and ID theft and how much we could get away with. I'm a feminist, and I would do it!

Can I be a lot younger?
Ah, but if you changed the time stream by doing something not done before, you might change the outcome. You go buy a bunch of propety in a place you know to be a factory, dirt cheap since its open land. Maybe the factory builders decide to find some other spot to build since you'd really like a decent return on your purchase. Then they prevent that land from being used for what it was supposed to. And so on. The changes spiral, big and little, and feed on each other, and when you reach today it could look like a different one, maybe even a very very different one if your action prevented some decision which didn't seem to matter at the time, but really was.

And don't forget the alternate realities your creating too....

Why time machines usually belong to time lords.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:08 PM

53 posts, read 62,482 times
Interesting responses. One clarification though: The $10,000,000 isn't something you take back in time with you, it's what you get AFTER the 5 years you spend. So in my scenario you'd be transported back to January 1st 1950 with just the clothes on your back. But on January 1st 1955 you get transported back to the exact time you left and then are given a big case full of money.

Also, I do mean the U.S. But if you are from another country, say England then it would be 50s England, if from Tamania, 50s Tamania etc. etc.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:14 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,872,113 times
Would I do it? Absolutely yes!

Old 07-28-2015, 02:31 AM

7,003 posts, read 4,864,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Ah, but if you changed the time stream by doing something not done before, you might change the outcome. You go buy a bunch of propety in a place you know to be a factory, dirt cheap since its open land. Maybe the factory builders decide to find some other spot to build since you'd really like a decent return on your purchase. Then they prevent that land from being used for what it was supposed to. And so on. The changes spiral, big and little, and feed on each other, and when you reach today it could look like a different one, maybe even a very very different one if your action prevented some decision which didn't seem to matter at the time, but really was.

And don't forget the alternate realities your creating too....

Why time machines usually belong to time lords.
How do you know I wasn't meant to change the time stream?

Old 07-28-2015, 12:46 PM

10,931 posts, read 11,705,366 times
What was so bad about the '50s? I rather enjoyed that decade in my formative years. A pack of smokes was 10 cents, as i recall, maybe as high 20 cents.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:31 AM

I just watched the series of shows on the Bomb on PBS tonight. It has been a long time, but I remember the feeling of having a dark shadow most of your childhood. I know there are dangers and fears today, but I don't think I'd want to be back in the age of the fallout shelter and that mentality that tomorrow it might be all over...

I wonder if kids today will remember how they saw a building crumple in fire with thousands of people inside, and there were bad men around the corner for them a long time.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:49 PM

24,505 posts, read 33,266,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Thing is, it still colored the way you saw life. There were moments it's risk couldn't be denied. When Cuba and missles made it a hot button issue, people stayed home and near family. Dad and I stayed home that day so the family would be together if it was an end. And the fear of the bomb dropping from the sky wasn't spoken of, and people lived life, but it never really left. It was the dark shadow that you ignored as you lived each day, because even when the world outside is not so good, its what people *do*.
It is not the way I saw life... I was not even alive then!

My relatives who lived through the '50s were living in reality. They knew the good and bad of each decade and they said the '50s was their favorite. The Cuban missile event was not even in the '50s!

They were not hiding under tables waiting for the bomb to drop. They did their daily activities. They did not "stay home and near their families." My parents made quite a few trips from California to New Jersey and New York to visit relatives.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:01 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,564,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybgood12 View Post
Also, I do mean the U.S. But if you are from another country, say England then it would be 50s England, if from Tamania, 50s Tamania etc. etc.
A shame. I was hoping it would be about some country with much worse problems, like in Asia, Africa, or Eastern Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History