Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 09:42 AM

17 posts, read 17,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
This can be a teachable moment for you.

The United States is not an empire. When lying, hypocritical liberal vermin said that it was, they lied.
Ok, but "freedom" "markets" etc.. are all thrust upon every corner of the globe. Are they not?

And by the way, you folks around the world; America has social problems the likes of ISIS. Let me repeat this; America itself has problems which are nearly as brutal and repressive as ISIS.

Someone put 12 bullets, for absolutely no reason, into a police officer and needless to say right now, as I write this, someone is pumping someone else full of bullets here.

No, not in the name of religion.. In the name of Freedom.

We not good at this running the world stuff anymore folks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 12:39 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,326,422 times
Quote:
And you as well.

You are right, the United States is not an empire (and I'm one of those "liberals") and therein lies our countries problem. It has never wanted to appear to be an empire while at the same time enjoying all the perks that go along with being one. We have expended great amounts of blood and treasure protecting not so much people from the forces of evil but rather protecting our sources of raw materials from evil people pretty much as an empire would do. So I suppose that is why the phrase neo-imperialism was coined in the first place.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:56 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
While the US have done some disgusting actions (supply ISIS, overthrow several governments, support fascist dictatorships, killing other heads of state, financing terrorism all over the world, etc), I doubt it can still be considered the "worst".
A very hypocrite way of presenting themselves for sure (the #1, the champions of freedom/democracy, the best of da best, the best way is the American way rhetoric and so on).
"we" don't really present ourselves that way, it just seems like those kind of things are just what you want to hear.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:09 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Quote:

Is The United States History's Worst Empire?

Yes, absolutely. Since the United States is not an empire at all, we are worse at being an empire than every other empire that has ever existed.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post

Yes, absolutely. Since the United States is not an empire at all, we are worse at being an empire than every other empire that has ever existed.
Well you said it better than I did... too much multi-tasking.

So to amplify my earlier point.

Either you declare yourself to be an empire and go all in, or you pretend that you are not but act as if you were, the result is always going to be half-assed. So the U.S. has never been an empire, just a half-assed one.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:31 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,120,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
And you as well.

You are right, the United States is not an empire (and I'm one of those "liberals") and therein lies our countries problem. It has never wanted to appear to be an empire while at the same time enjoying all the perks that go along with being one. We have expended great amounts of blood and treasure protecting not so much people from the forces of evil but rather protecting our sources of raw materials from evil people pretty much as an empire would do. So I suppose that is why the phrase neo-imperialism was coined in the first place.
Actually this is prety foolish. You acknowledge that it is not an empire and then say it is an empire without appearing to be an empire. As is the case in a lot of threads, you have nothing to teach me or anyone else, just a lot of lefty nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckkspap View Post
Ok, but "freedom" "markets" etc.. are all thrust upon every corner of the globe. Are they not?

And by the way, you folks around the world; America has social problems the likes of ISIS. Let me repeat this; America itself has problems which are nearly as brutal and repressive as ISIS.

Someone put 12 bullets, for absolutely no reason, into a police officer and needless to say right now, as I write this, someone is pumping someone else full of bullets here.

No, not in the name of religion.. In the name of Freedom.

We not good at this running the world stuff anymore folks..
Uh, no. We have laws against putting bullets in people. ISIS murders as a matter of policy. We have laws protecting minorites, ISIS murders theirs as a matter of policy. We are in no way comparable. This is delusional and sad.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:51 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:

The United States is not an empire.
You are an empire and have been since before 1898.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:08 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,014,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You are an empire and have been since before 1898.
Seeing as you are from Ohio(or so you say) that "you" in your statement would include yourself.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:16 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
How shall we define "worst" empire?

The cruelest?

The least successful?

The smallest?

Least efficient?

Hitler's "Thousand Year Reich" fell short of their goal by only 988 years. The great Spanish Empire of the 15th and 16th Centuries was composed of more territory which they didn't actually control than they did. The Great East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere failed to produce prosperity for many, and lasted only four years. The Napoleonic Empire never achieved peaceful stability. The Ottoman Empire had some duration, but was referenced as "the sick man of Europe."

The true American Empire has never been the US plus the handful of Pacific and Caribbean islands that it controlled, the US Empire is actually the fifty states. These places all had to be conquered, the natives displaced or killed.

Since the conquest, it has been an extraordinarily stable empire with all of the conquered territory elevated to the status of equal states. Political power has been passed peacefully. it has been a huge economic success, and if we consider the acquisitions which flowed from the Mexican War to be the end of the empire building, it has lasted 167 years.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Actually this is prety foolish. You acknowledge that it is not an empire and then say it is an empire without appearing to be an empire. As is the case in a lot of threads, you have nothing to teach me or anyone else, just a lot of lefty nonsense.
The statement assumes that the reader has some historical knowledge of the political economy of American foreign policy over the last 160 some odd year. I apologize for the assumption.

So to clarify: An empire is a state in possession of territories which are under its sovereign authority. In that regard the U.S. has from its inception had imperial ambitions, this was ameliorated through most of its history by granting those acquired territories full status within the nation as a whole, i.e., statehood. Towards the middle of the 19th century, the U.S. began to assert quasi-imperial powers by using both diplomatic and military force to extend its economic interest on other countries (see Perry and Japan). But it wouldn't be until the Spanish American war that the U.S. would play around the edges of full out imperialism with acquisition of Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, Guam, which remain in effect colonies of the U.S.

In the post war years, the U.S. began to exercise powers normally utilized by the former colonial powers of Europe in the prewar I and II years. Here you are absolutely correct, we don't refer to this exertion of power as imperialism but rather as the leftist nonsense referred to as neo-colonialism. Under this model, the U.S. did not have to actually possess a territory to extract what economic resources that it chose to take. It simply ensured that whatever government was in charged of a sovereign they would accede to U.S. economic interest.

Which leaves us were we began. The U.S. isn't an Empire but acted like one, so do we judge the U.S. by what it is called or by its actions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History