Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 07:49 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissrock View Post
There was plenty of wood on board, panels, chairs, tables. They could have just nailed a bunch of planks and made simple boats for all the underclass and crew.
A. It's the North Atlantic Ocean.

B. It's the North Atlantic Ocean.

Homemade boats would last about ten seconds in the volatile North Atlantic Ocean in early Spring dodging icebergs.

The ocean was not calm and flat like it was in the movie.

The North Atlantic crumpled a steel ocean liner. You think home spun table/chair boats are going to hold up?

Hypothermia set in within minutes and killed these people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 07:52 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,640,103 times
They didnt have alot of time on their side so creating a workshop to build something just wasnt feasible.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:52 PM

6,380 posts, read 6,270,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
In your opinion which pertains to no one but you.
You missed his entire point which was not part of his "opinion."

Old 09-06-2015, 07:56 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,640,103 times
Socal25 thats a great idea and also very funny. My laugh for the day.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:14 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
The ocean was not calm and flat like it was in the movie.
Yes it was, at least according to historian Walter Lord in A Night to Remember. Here are the book's opening words:

High in the crow’s-nest of the new White Star liner Titanic, lookout Frederick Fleet peered into a dazzling night. It was calm, clear and bitterly cold. There was no moon, but the cloudless sky blazed with stars. The Atlantic was like polished glass; people later said they had never seen it so smooth.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:17 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissrock View Post
There was plenty of wood on board, panels, chairs, tables. They could have just nailed a bunch of planks and made simple boats for all the underclass and crew.
What were they going to use to caulk the seams?

Old 09-06-2015, 10:01 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,321,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Homemade boats would last about ten seconds in the volatile North Atlantic Ocean in early Spring dodging icebergs.

The ocean was not calm and flat like it was in the movie.]

Actually sea conditions on the night and morning of the sinking were exactly like they were in the movie, no wind and no waves which might have been one of the contributing factors as to why the iceberg wasn't spotted in the first place.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:51 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
OP, would you be able to construct a lifeboat on a sinking ship?

Old 09-06-2015, 10:53 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,483,961 times
Just for comparison's sake: I live in the Coastal Mountains in British Columbia, a spectacular area hosting dozens of glacier-fed lakes. These lakes are always a degree or two above freezing, so not unlike the temps in the North Atlantic when Titanic sank (on November 12th, 1912).

At one time, we rented a house that fronted on to Green Lake in Whistler, and I used to like to sit on the dock and dangle my feet and legs in the water. The most I could leave them in there for was seventeen seconds, as the pain, by that time, was unbearable (and I've had nine kids)!

I come from the North of Scotland and have swum in both the North Sea and the North Atlantic in the summer months, and neither one was cold enough to cause pain at that time of year, but bear in mind that I was swimming close to the shore.

My point here is that I couldn't stand more than seventeen seconds in a glacial lake, and that was only my feet and calves. I wouldn't be the first volunteer to test the waters only yards away from icebergs. I doubt that those in the water that night would have suffered long prior to losing consciousness. Search and Rescue teams have to wear thermal wet suits when trying to recover the bodies of people who've gone overboard in Green Lake, and each rescue swimmer can only stay in the water for twenty minutes at a time.

Again, just for comparison's sake.

Shalom,

Mahrie.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:36 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
Tis sad that most folk know nothing about boat building, much less knowing what floats , or the danger of cold water.
Hard woods most things were made of then, don't float well on their own to begin with .
Even wooden boats sink.
Even big wooden boats needed significant ballast (weight in the bottom of the hull) to stay up right.
wood given a few days in water eventually sinks any way.
In the boat business one fact remains ,gravity works. boats are a defiance of that law.
It was too frustrating to watch those movies.
No only did they not respect God, they did not respect the ocean, nor the ice they knew they were about to meet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History