Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2015, 08:34 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,698,705 times

Advertisements

I have had experience with a number of events in my life and history. Yet years later looking at the recorded events as written it's like I was never there?
I often wonder if hundreds of years ago when only a few could write and they were influenced how to record events just how accurate they were?
Maybe it does not matter but it does make you wonder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 09:13 AM

122 posts, read 112,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
I have had experience with a number of events in my life and history. Yet years later looking at the recorded events as written it's like I was never there?
I often wonder if hundreds of years ago when only a few could write and they were influenced how to record events just how accurate they were?
Maybe it does not matter but it does make you wonder.
Yes, that is quite true. History is always written with an agenda, perhaps more so now than ever before, and events are distilled down to the point that any history is inevitably quite superficial.

A minor example, I used to write press releases for distribution to the media. I would distribute a completely factual, two-page release to major newspapers, and then watch in amazement as some of them completely mangled the content of the release in their reporting. It was a truly bizarre phenomenon. If I said our quarterly earnings were $34 million, they would be reported as $83M or $16M - figures that weren't merely typos but that had no relation to the reported amount.

Not to send your thread off into a tangent, but I happen to be a serious student of the JFK assassination. The "official history" as reported in the mainstream texts and media bears little relation to what actually happened. "Superficial" would be too charitable a description. In this instance, there is no question that the history is agenda-driven. There are multiple agendas in play, one of which is the see-no-evil comfort of believing Oswald acted alone and that we live in a society where the military, law enforcement and intelligence communities are filled with good and honorable men and women who have only our peace, security and welfare at heart.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:55 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bo Pepys View Post
Yes, that is quite true. History is always written with an agenda, perhaps more so now than ever before, and events are distilled down to the point that any history is inevitably quite superficial.

A minor example, I used to write press releases for distribution to the media. I would distribute a completely factual, two-page release to major newspapers, and then watch in amazement as some of them completely mangled the content of the release in their reporting. It was a truly bizarre phenomenon. If I said our quarterly earnings were $34 million, they would be reported as $83M or $16M - figures that weren't merely typos but that had no relation to the reported amount.

Not to send your thread off into a tangent, but I happen to be a serious student of the JFK assassination. The "official history" as reported in the mainstream texts and media bears little relation to what actually happened. "Superficial" would be too charitable a description. In this instance, there is no question that the history is agenda-driven. There are multiple agendas in play, one of which is the see-no-evil comfort of believing Oswald acted alone and that we live in a society where the military, law enforcement and intelligence communities are filled with good and honorable men and women who have only our peace, security and welfare at heart.
Here's the most recent thread about the JFK Assassination:

//www.city-data.com/forum/histo...ssination.html

I've been reading about it for over 20 years. We may have a lot to talk about.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:58 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,698,705 times
Yes we may never know the truth about certain events in life.
Only as they are recorded or reported which of course is subject to change with history.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:34 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Clearly, all historians are not always honest and objective, but even then there were as many different perspectives on human events as there were humans experiencing them. It's virtually impossible to get a truly objective view on history beyond historical artifacts themselves, but there is only so much an innaminate object can tell you.

On top of that, people tend to forget or not give importance to many things that future people are interested in such as the daily lives of everyday people at the time. We get lots of artifacts and info about kings and elites, but what about the other 99%?

Old 10-28-2015, 12:49 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,077,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
people tend to forget or not give importance to many things that future people are interested in such as the daily lives of everyday people at the time. We get lots of artifacts and info about kings and elites, but what about the other 99%?
True. To give one example -- I read a book with reliable, well-documented footnotes called "Eunuchs for the Kingdom of Heaven". It said that throughout the middle ages in Europe, the Church forbade couples to have sexual relations on approximately 1/3 of the days of the year, which were either official "holy days" or were within a several-week period surrounding Christmas and Easter. The priests told parents that if their babies were born physically or mentally deformed it was because they were conceived on those forbidden days.

Something like this had a tremendous effect on people's daily lives, and yet it's little-known. Instead we concentrate on silly trivia like learning the names of Henry 8th's wives.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:36 PM

50,827 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bo Pepys View Post

I think one of the best examples of how history was written (and taught) with an agenda was the deification of George Washington. The myths began early on and were not corrected until fairly recently...if it is even possible to correct all the myths.

There's the cherry tree myth: Cherry Tree Myth*·*George Washington's Mount Vernon

The throwing of the silver dollar across the Potomac: wrong, because the Potomac was too wide; wrong because at the time he lived along the Rappahannock River.

His wooden false teeth: Nope, although some were made of lead components!

He was born at Ferry Farm in Fredericksburg, Virginia: Nope, he was born in a totally different county and later moved to Ferry Farm.

And those are just the "fantasy legends". So how much can we trust the substantive history.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:49 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Countries and religions use myth-making to boost the import and "rightness" of their dealings. Every English schoolchild knows how the English defeated the Spanish Armada, but not that the Spanish trounced the English fleet a year or two earlier. The myth of the "Liberty Bell" in the U.S. has NOTHING to do with the ringing out at the signing of the Constitution or Declaration of Independence, and everything to do with a newspaper puff piece and abolitionists placing the bell at the head of Lincoln's casket so the inscription could be read. It is important not to confuse popular myth and real history, or worse yet the whole cloth of conflated myth and real history disguised as "truth."

Real history and solid books are out there, they just tend to be dry and unpopular. My favorite comparison between myth and reality for the purpose of educating someone about the difference is to have the person read "Atlas Shrugged" and then "Empire Express" to see how a transcontinental railroad in a capitalist system is built in myth and then in reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History