Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2020, 03:22 AM

4,232 posts, read 2,456,650 times

Advertisements

The way I understand the division of history:

Roughly 500 AD and prior: Ancient
Roughly 500 AD to 1500AD: Middle Ages
Roughly 1500AD to 1950AD: Modern
Roughly 1950AD to 2000 AD: Post-Modern
Roughly 2000 AD to Present: Post, Post Modern?

What would our current era be called? And our we transitioning into a new era eg post, post, post Modern?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2020, 06:01 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,246,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post

What would our current era be called? And our we transitioning into a new era eg post, post, post Modern?
Post modern refers to all sorts of social concepts as well as architecture and literature and law and events. Online some people have said post modernism is over and we are in the post-truth phase which relates to our attitudes toward capitalism and the media and how we interact with our world.

But saying Ancient, Middle ages, reformation, modern, the next is Contemporary which really just means whats happening right now.

As far as I understand people dont really know what they are until its over. Noone said oy these are some dark middle ages. To them, it was modern. Until the next modern times and then they were middle. How the future judges this time period and names it is yet to be determined but its probably some cross between the dark ages and the age of enlightenment. Lest we forget that people far in the future will use their standard of measure to determine our faults.

But back to the point, either contemporary (which is widely accepted as the time in which you live) or Post-truth which seems a relatively apt description of what we are going through now.

But The middle ages were 1000 years. Modern age almost 500 years. I dont think post modern and contemporary are really all that separate. If so we are going to be moving so fast toward the end that we are going to have a new era every year.

Old 12-23-2020, 09:53 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Periodization has always been a vague concept anyways, and biased to reflect western history. I wouldn't use it as any official guideline. I think your time frame is about right although some break out the "modern" into "early modern" and "contemporary" and then further break it down into vague terms like "age of discovery". "Middle Ages" could be "Medieval" or "Post-Classical". There is no consensus and rules with historians at this level so no rules here.

"Post-modern"? Isn't that a art style classification?

I hate the "modern" classification anyways. When will they change that? Historians can't keep using "modern" to classify these centuries in a 1,000 years.

Old 12-23-2020, 10:49 AM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Post Classic

Old 12-23-2020, 02:03 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times
It looks like in the past, "eras" were enormously long, but now you've got the last two "eras" being 50 years.

Old 12-23-2020, 03:32 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,706,383 times
Quote:

As has been noted, post-modernism pertained to things other than history.

Historical eras are invariably applied to subsets of history much more limited than all of history, for reasons of both practicality and necessity. For example, prehistory in Greece and in Britain and in Alaska all represent different times. Also, it really doesn't make much sense to try and shoehorn the respective historical eras of warfare and philosophy and art and copper mining into eras that span all of those subjects - so each one is divided into distinct eras completely unrelated to the eras in another.

Old 12-23-2020, 04:28 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,495,021 times
I always found it very difficult to segregate historical periods because of the variables involved. The delineation between history and prehistory is usually defined by the appearance of written language. Also, the definition of modern era tends to incorporate the period since the industrial revolution reshaped our world. The changes brought forth by it, were a lot more dramatic than what came prior as it completely redefined man’s relationship with the environment around him. In truly modern terms, I would say that the internet is the cornerstone of the current historical period.

Old 12-23-2020, 07:30 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,549,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I always found it very difficult to segregate historical periods because of the variables involved. The delineation between history and prehistory is usually defined by the appearance of written language. Also, the definition of modern era tends to incorporate the period since the industrial revolution reshaped our world. The changes brought forth by it, were a lot more dramatic than what came prior as it completely redefined man’s relationship with the environment around him. In truly modern terms, I would say that the internet is the cornerstone of the current historical period.
I agree with this. The computer and internet most likely has ushered in a new historical period. Maybe “The Virtual Age.”

Old 12-23-2020, 08:37 PM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Quote:

I say... the era of our ways. We certainly have enough to have to explain to future generations.

Old 12-23-2020, 09:58 PM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
One could argue that we are in the Post-Enlightenment Age. This term has been tossed around but I think it fits more than, say, Post Modern. The Enlightenment covered almost 200 years ending mostly with the Napoleonic Wars. That is largely a focus on Europe but we, in the US, carried things forward with "Jacksonian democracy" the great struggle to end slavery, followed by the rise of the labor movement, womens' sufferage, and the Progressive Era. We were/are an experiment in Enlightenment with the abolition of nobility, public schools, separation of church and state, a Bill of Rights, a claim or at least a quest for equality, the rise of science, and a notion of 'e pluribus unum'. Sometime in the 20th century - possibly related to a combination of the Great Depression, WW2, the Cold War, and globalization - we began to see the Enlightenment values come under assault. Those things we worked hard to establish are called into question. There seems to be a lessened commitment to the value of public education and the separation of church and state. Science is increasingly under attack. Wealth and income inequality is creating an amplified sense of class - a faux nobility of the 1%. So we seem to be on a slippery slope. We have shelved the old American "can do" attitude that got us to the moon, cleaned up our water and air and the environment, and built a modern infrastructure and society. Our self-perception seems weakened and we see or create threats and there is a vague sense of victimhood and social division. Some of the changes since 9-11 (2001) are stark and disturbing while others are subtle and insidius. This is associated with the rise of Trumpism but predates it and is not caused by it. We crossed the line earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History