Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 07:43 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Hey, I am neither the OP nor a mod.
I only wanted to point you to other threads which truly address the subject I believe you seek.
If you see yourself as That Guy who attempts to us ignorant folk to the light, so be it.
Your original post mentioned the "emptiness of it all."
Then you proceeded to bring in the Vietnam War, the Great Society etc etc none of which were begun by Boomers. I am not even sure we can take credit for the Civil Rights movement, we were awfully young then, of course it still goes on, but it began before I was born. We merely participated in events which began rolling when we were kids.
I think we were a bridge generation, a bunch of people who shook things up and began new ways of looking at age-old traditions. Woodstock got a lot of publicity because of how many people showed up. These things happen.
Woodstock was not the be-all/end-all, Monterery was probably more pure.
And that is as far as I am going to take this discussion here.
It's still not a hijack. The post you took exception to was quite germane to the subject. Sorry that I burst a nostalgic little bubble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 03:30 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
It's still not a hijack. The post you took exception to was quite germane to the subject. Sorry that I burst a nostalgic little bubble.
Never had one to burst--sorry, my chain is not being yanked.
Sentiment I may have, but not a great deal of self-importance.
Those who must wring their hands about LBJ's Great Society, which produced Head Start, wring all you like: Head Start is not flawless but I am glad to have worked for that program.
I know that I am not "drug-addled," and I know that while 3 days of fun and music has attained mythic status, the times that produced it were not nihilistic days of emptiness.
This is what those days represent to me: Idealists were demanding that our country live up to its ideals.
As for practical considerations, well, we're working on that.
I know that the times are still changin' and me with them.
Peace out, cpg35223.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:00 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times
Quote:
Peace out, cpg35223.
Says "peace out" while kissing fingers and then flashing the peace sign !

Old 02-12-2009, 09:09 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
sorry, my chain is not being yanked.
Sentiment I may have, but not a great deal of self-importance.
Peace out
bless you blueWillow! thank you for reminding us!

Old 03-01-2009, 01:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,734 times
I was the stage manager at the West Palm Beach rock festival Thanksgiving of 1969. I would like to get a performer list and communicate with others that were there. Unfortunately the only movie cameraman there was a hoax. He had no film in the camera. I would love to get a picture of myself on stage. I did the public service announcing. Please reply to [email]harrisc923@aol.com[/email]

Old 02-21-2011, 11:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,932 times
Default Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I was there. The peace,love and togetherness thing was crap! It was just a week away from our parents! i was wet,cold,hungry and too stoned! The best music was Janis Joplin, Santana and 10 Years After. Jimi Hendrix was pathetic. If it hadnt been for Wavy Gravy and the Hog Farm, alot of kids would have gone hungry and/or overdosed on the poison that was going around that was supposedly acid. And i still dont know what the hell happened to my clothes!
How could you say that peace, love and togetherness was crap ? If you look at the 69 Woodstock and the 99 Woodstock I think it obviously was not crap. Compared to 99 it was all about peace, love and togetherness. Jimi Hendrix was by far the best performance at Woodstock. You must have left early. The acid was a fun trip maybe you should have tried it. Why would you be worried about your clothes? It wasnt about that. You make it sound like such a terrible place to be when in all reality it was the best place to be. Thats all.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:45 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,472,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Says "peace out" while kissing fingers and then flashing the peace sign !
That's right...

Old 02-21-2011, 04:45 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,419,540 times
I was 14 at the time but didnt go. I had some friends that did though. If I had of went, I probably wouldn't of remembered a thing. I do have the 2 disc dvd I watch every now and then. Not just the music and all the things that was happening at the time. I do watch and remember life as simplier times. No computers, cell phones, no electronic gadgets to mystify us, and we got along quite well without them.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:47 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I was alive and in school/t basically :IMO;was a drugged out mess. Mnay think it was the starting of what we see now in civlity and drug problem it represented.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:46 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I was a California Hippy during those days.

Many of us felt that Woodstock was an east Coast attempt to rip off and profit from what was born here in Golden Gate Park and grew into the free rock concerts on Mt. Tam, which developed into the Monterey Pop Festival in the summer of 1967.
Bingo ringo! I wasn't a hippie but I was on the West Coast (L.A.) and this is definitely how we felt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History